Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

well it should be localized accent of choice which sounds like its being knowingly dragged through the gutter but nothing makes me cringe more than a posh dub with those english/american tones :o not the harshest but most cringeworthy accent in the world imo, just shoot yourself it reeks of wanker

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

The D4 Dorsh line accent is getting worse, I thought in a recession theyd lose a bit of it, but was at the rugby over the weekend and it was painful listening to people around me.

Id be happier sitting with salt of the earth types to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

Seannew1 wrote: »
    Which one's better, dundaaaaawlk hey or draaaaaaawda hey??
    I'd go for the former because i'm from there, the 'draaaaaawda' accent has got to be one of the funniest sounding accents i've ever heard, for example: "Are ya headin down tooooun hey" and "Give us a cuuuorly wooorlly hey"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Fago! wrote: »
    Dwaawwda

they CAN pronounce r's like

hate people who do shocking bad drogheda accents and say dwaawda like that

get it right

anyway, worst is dundalk by far - a mix of the 2 second worst; drogheda and nordie

horiffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Laois/Kilkenny/Wickla/d4/Northside/tallafornia/Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

Any dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

I'd go for the former because i'm from there, the 'draaaaaawda' accent has got to be one of the funniest sounding accents i've ever heard, for example: "Are ya headin down tooooun hey" and "Give us a cuuuorly wooorlly hey"

Everytime I'm in Draaaaaaawda I hear them exact lines,the accents get worse when your on a night out there or woooooooorrrrse! what about Arwdeeeeee hey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Monaghan

Everytime I'm in Draaaaaaawda I hear them exact lines,the accents get worse when your on a night out there or woooooooorrrrse! what about Arwdeeeeee hey?
    Ahh sure there you go, my eldest brother used to slag the absolute hell out of the ardee accent, he used to say "That tractor's a fine yoke hey".

Helix wrote: »

get it right

anyway, worst is dundalk by far - a mix of the 2 second worst; drogheda and nordie

horiffic
    Ahh now come on, you know that's not true.... i've been living just outside the town for many years now and i don't know one person from 'dwaaaaaawda' that pronounces their r's.

Edit: They 'CAN' yes, but they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

I find the Donegal accent sexy as hell on girls. As for lads well it just sounds like music is playen all the time . Quite a soothing accent IMO depending on the pacing of the speaker etc .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Arklow. Sounds like speaking with a mouth full of marbles and/or ballbag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yeah Lowiid is pretty bad. Also Australian, it's so whiiiiney. Same with parts of the States.

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Seannew1

Ahh now come on, you know that's not true.... i've been living just outside the town for many years now and i don't know one person from 'dwaaaaaawda' that pronounces their r's.

Edit: They 'CAN' yes, but they don't.

Jaysus thats a funny one,its a source of real humour that drogheda people can't pronounce their r's, most people are fine with their r's but i think its the townies who don't pronounce their r's properly.....hey!

Helix wrote: »

get it right

horiffic
    Yeah I agree, but i don't agree that it's the worst, i think it's the best as the drogheda one follows up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

I heard a man on the Six One news today, some farmer talking about the weather. Not a clue where he was from, but i couldn't understand a single word of what he said. It was just weird sounds coming out of his mouth... :confused:

Barna77 wrote: »
    I heard a man on the Six One news today, some farmer talking about the weather. Not a clue where he was from, but i couldn't understand a single word of what he said. It was just weird sounds coming out of his mouth... :confused:
    It's just north of dwaaaaawda!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Which one's better, dundaaaaawlk hey or draaaaaaawda hey??

Obviously no one has been to Ardee hey?

Ardee accent is possibly the most distinct in the country and god awful. :D

Feelgood wrote: »
    Obviously no one has been to Ardee hey?

Ardee accent is possibly the most distinct in the country and god awful. :D
    It's not that bad, apart from when you hear "Jaysus that's a quare tractor ya have there hey"!:mad::mad::mad:

Jaysus thats a funny one,its a source of real humour that drogheda people can't pronounce their r's, most people are fine with their r's but i think its the townies who don't pronounce their r's properly.....hey!
    Yeah 100% agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

RTE-D4 is pretty bad. Is it even technically an Irish accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Some of the towns down south Kilkenny! KK Waterford border!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Northside Cork City :)

Sham: Alriiiii feeeen, got suuum bob on yeaaah?

Me: What are you talking about?

Sham: Yuu knooo whaaa' I meeen.

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Godsentme

Some of the towns down south Kilkenny! KK Waterford border!
    Cant you even make up your tiny mind where exactly you are from??:eek:

location... kilkenny/cork.?? No such place old friend!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

sligo and that really annoying put on D4 accent, its a bloody dart and you drive a car:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

Piste wrote: »
    Hmm looks like I'm going to have to keep my lazy Southside drawl to myself at the next beers ;)

At least it's not an extreme Southside accent- I don't say dorsh but sometimes I don't fully manage the "ow" sound in words like "round" and there's a slight "raind" to it (only slight, mind you!). The more I drink the more D4 I become. I'm sure if you graphed "number of Oh My God's" per sentence versus units of alcohol consumed it'd be proportional!

I normally have a wicklow accent( no not a wickla one :D) but the drunker i get the more d4 it gets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

We were talking about this once in college(all of us from different parts of the country) and we all thought by far the Dublin accents are as they are so out of place with the rest of us :L

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

Wickla town accent has to be the worst, closely followed by the Waterford one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

bambera wrote: »
    Dublin teenagers who have a weird fake american accent

I find a lot of them speak with that fluent West Atlantic/American accent alright. They could be from Galway, Dublin, Londford ect, but they all sound the same. Grow da fcuk up! Leave the 'herd' and be yourself ffs sake!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Seloth wrote: »
    We were talking about this once in college(all of us from different parts of the country) and we all thought by far the Dublin accents are as they are so out of place with the rest of us :L
    I'll take that as a compliment.
    I was watching Sky News doing a report on our weather, and they interview a gent from Galway..
    Embarrassing enough to see them on RTÉ, but to think people in other countries trying to understand him...

*face palm*

Advertisement