Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I find the white south African accent fairly irritating.

There's more than one white South African accent.

The biggest difference is between Saffas that speak English as a first language and those that primarily speak Afrikaans.

They are totally different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

1. The 'Sith Iffircan' accent (the one spoken by Afrikaaners ^^). I can't help but to be physically sick everytime I hear it.

2. Whatever accent Bridie of "Every bit of land was covered" speaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

peatcass wrote: »
    I'll take that as a compliment.
    I was watching Sky News doing a report on our weather, and they interview a gent from Galway..
    Embarrassing enough to see them on RTÉ, but to think people in other countries trying to understand him...

*face palm*
    But I saw a guy on Sky, he used to be on RTÉ (can't remember his name) talking with English accent while he had Irish accent on RTÉ, wha?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Barna77 wrote: »
    But I saw a guy on Sky, he used to be on RTÉ (can't remember his name) talking with English accent while he had Irish accent on RTÉ, wha?

I'm sure his RTE accent was put-on/exagerated too. It's just a matter of acting a different role for a different market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

south african is pretty irritating alright. not a fan of midland bogger accents or BBC english accents either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Enigma IE

A strong Navan accent is horrendous, also there is something very strange (inbred) about the Arklow accent, perhaps its Wicklow in general not quite sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Easy. Nadine Coyles new accent guhhhh

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Easy. Nadine Coyles new accent guhhhh
    The old one is not music to my ears....

Same as her accent

:D:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

Alan Joyce, the 44-year-old Dubliner who's head of the massive Quantas Airways, has just had the piss taken out of his accent by a columnist in The Australian newspaper. It's getting huge coverage in Australia and turned up on RTÉ's Drivetime this afternoon. Here's the google results.

And this is young Alan Joyce from Tallaght talking in his very ordinary Dublin accent. Puts things in perspective for the Dubs here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭electrobanana

scouser accent and wherever neill delamare's from..oh god i hate him so much

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Dionysus wrote: »
    Alan Joyce, the 44-year-old Dubliner who's head of the massive Quantas Airways, has just had the piss taken out of his accent by a columnist in The Australian newspaper. It's getting huge coverage in Australia and turned up on RTÉ's Drivetime this afternoon. Here's the google results.

And this is young Alan Joyce from Tallaght talking in his very ordinary Dublin accent. Puts things in perspective for the Dubs here!
    a knob is a knob.. doesn't matter which side of the m50 he's from

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dionysus wrote: »
    Puts things in perspective for the Dubs here!

I'm a bit lost. What does it put in to perspective?

And Peatcass, why is he a knob? What did he do?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Probably the Inner City Dub one, though I'm not a fan of the Cork accent either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Precious flower

Racheal Allen's accent, God it drives me insane!:mad:
    Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr..........................
    However the Clare accent is beautiful, for obvious reasons hahaha.

John_Rambo wrote: »
    why is he a knob? What did he do?
    changing your accent depending on who you're talking to.. knob.

be proud of where you're from, be it beaumont or a bog.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Some Dublin accents are awful.

I once thought I had a nice southern accent, and then, I happened to hear a recording of myself.

I winced in pain. It is a strong southern accent.

However the Clare accent is beautiful
    I head down to Ballynacally as often as I can, look forward to chatting to Mícheál in Griffins Pub.. don't see a few hours going by in there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

I'm a bit lost. What does it put in to perspective?

And Peatcass, why is he a knob? What did he do?

That while certain Dubs have a tendency to deride the accent of Irish people from outside Dublin, over in Australia the Dublin accent is the one being derided: it's just another "bog" Irish accent in the above put down of Joyce's accent.

I assume the poster was saying that anybody who slags off somebody for their accent is a knob, be they from Dublin or the countryside. Quite true too.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

WindSock wrote: »
    Yeah Lowiid is pretty bad. Also Australian, it's so whiiiiney. Same with parts of the States.
    I think the Louth accent is pretty unique if i'm being totally honest with myself now hey!
    I'd say people will agree that dundaaaaaaaalk and draaaaaaawda accents are the way people should talk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Whatever about the level of awfulness of some Irish accents, it's the made-up ones that are the worst, for example the horrible cross between Irish and American that results in garbled words like the "meedy-yor" mobile phone company or Marty Whelan advertising the competition by saying that "Every Lidl Helps"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

I hate a strong Dublin scumbag accent and a strong posh Dublin accent. The middle of the road Dublin accent is actually easy on the ears.

Glasgow accent is horrible.
    Brummie accent is horrible.
    Australian is annoying.
    S.African accent is horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,656 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

peatcass wrote: »
    changing your accent depending on who you're talking to.. knob.

Have you ever worked abroad? You HAVE to calm your accent if you have a thick one, even in English speaking countries. I have a good friend who is a farmer in Clare. He has a very very thick Clare accent and had to concentrate on his pronunciation when he was working on farms abroad, I have to do it, I work with a Scottish girl, she chats on the phone to her Ma and I can't understand her. Everyone has to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

your sisters.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Sunshineboo

Really hate strong north dublin and cork accents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The sligo town accent is fairly brutal tbh, and i'm from sligo, but some of the real townies just sound a bit ridiculous. Its all flat vowels....Saaaaturdaaay night outside aaaaaabrakebaaaaaabra. Jesus lads, me ears.....:D

Daroxtar wrote: »
    The sligo town accent is fairly brutal tbh, and i'm from sligo, but some of the real townies just sound a bit ridiculous. Its all flat vowels....Saaaaturdaaay night outside aaaaaabrakebaaaaaabra. Jesus lads, me ears.....:D
    my first block release was in Fás Sligo, stayed in diggs in Cartron.. thought there was something wrong with the family.. turns out it was just the Sligo townie accent!

On the DART from Malahide this afternoon, 6 teenage girls were going to town, busy in a deep conversation the bunch of them. My ears! Is that accent D4 North?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭FF and proud

Fago! wrote: »
    For me it's the Drogheda accent. It's terrible. Absolutely horrible. But so funny. I pity people with that accent. I crack up laughing when I hear it.

Talking to a bloke from "Dwaawwda" yesterday and he saw someone on the TV and goes "Oowh, oi dun loike him, hee wamiynds mee a moy ex, especially de beeawd" - translation - "Oh, I don't like him, he reminds me of my ex, especially the beard" I burst out with laughter. Another time in Mcdonalds, a Drogheda fella working there shouted for more hamburgers "MAW HAMBAWGAWS" and a few people were laughing at him and shouting maw hambawgaws at him...... Hehe. Maw.

Yuck!

So what do you think is the worst accent in Ireland? Or even anywhere else in the world.
    Would you look whos feckin talkin Mr Dublin Southside. I cant stand listening to them feckers talking, could swear you were listening to a donkey with two oranges in his mouth with a knack for speaking English. Dont judge others now, get a feckin tape recorder and play it back for the shock factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Inner city Belfast. What in god's name are they saying.? I remember a girl with that accent chatting to me a few years ago, and all I could think way "I wonder if she comes with subtitles."

• Advertisement

Have you ever worked abroad? You HAVE to calm your accent if you have a thick one, even in English speaking countries. I have a good friend who is a farmer in Clare. He has a very very thick Clare accent and had to concentrate on his pronunciation when he was working on farms abroad, I have to do it, I work with a Scottish girl, she chats on the phone to her Ma and I can't understand her. Everyone has to do it.
    was in starbucks in oz few years back.. asked for a tea in a mug,

Girl: Wha?
    Me: Tea in a mug please
    Girl: Wha?
    Me Tea? In a mug? *points to a mug*
    Girl: OHHHH a MAG?
    Me: Tut.

Advertisement