Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

bonerm wrote: »
    I'm sure his RTE accent was put-on/exagerated too. It's just a matter of acting a different role for a different market.
    I was watching Mad Men on the RTÉ player and they had a Stella Artois ad on the commercial break. It had an Scottish(?) accent. Then I saw it on RTÉ with Irish accent. I am confused. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Indeeding, da Tipp acccent does be the best, truely. Don't ya know like ;)

Now say with me vaaay---hick-el

The gardai must pick it up in Templmore

Nobody says hello, the greeting is "Well"

Well there, how are you?
    Well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

was anyone watching BBC news 24 yesterday evening, they had an irish lad on, speaking grand english i would of thought, but they still put subtitles..

gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Probably mentioned a hundred times already but it would have to be Dundalk accent

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭landsleaving

Nobody says hello, the greeting is "Well"

Well there, how are you?
    Well

Kind of a natural evolution. Starts with saying 'hello' then people move to part 2 of the conversation 'how are you?' and eventually how are you becomes the opener. Now it's 'well' since everyone knows you mean 'hello, how are you' anyway.

Soon it'll start with 'I know, it's terrible isn't it'

Eventaully all conversations will open with 'goodbye'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Whatever accent Daniel O'Donnell has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

Whatever accent Daniel O'Donnell has.

thats a sort of camp west donegal accent he has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Glasgow accent is horrible.
    Brummie accent is horrible.
    Australian is annoying.
    S.African accent is horrible.[/QUOTE]

I love all of the above accents...for me its got to the the Arklow /wexford town accent (mainly on men)...maybe beacuse i find it difficult to understand !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

John_Rambo wrote: »
    Have you ever worked abroad? You HAVE to calm your accent if you have a thick one, even in English speaking countries. I have a good friend who is a farmer in Clare. He has a very very thick Clare accent and had to concentrate on his pronunciation when he was working on farms abroad, I have to do it, I work with a Scottish girl, she chats on the phone to her Ma and I can't understand her. Everyone has to do it.

I've heard Irish people complain about someone who had been 25 years abroad "losing his accent, who does he think he is". Similarly, I've heard them commend people who had been away for many years for "not losing their accent" as if the inability to assimilate and continuing to talk as if they had a sod of turf in their mouth was in some way commendable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

In Dublin, general skanger accents are awful.
    In Ireland, any accent is disgusting except for a non-skanger Dublin accent; sorry people but you all sound like pigs.
    Outside of Ireland, the Spanish accent, Brazilian accent, Welsh accent, various English accents, Eastern European accents, Italian accent, are all horrible. The worst of all is probably a Northern Irish accent. Foul.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭sandmanporto

In Ireland, any accent is disgusting except for a non-skanger Dublin accent; sorry people but you all sound like pigs.
    Outside of Ireland, the Spanish accent, Brazilian accent, Welsh accent, various English accents, Eastern European accents, Italian accent, are all horrible. The worst of all is probably a Northern Irish accent. Foul.

So you like African, Asian and aussie accents?

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭pauro 76

South African accent is horrendous. Agree with Australian accent being very whiney. Indian accent is pretty appalling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

the hardest accent to understand,is the west indian pidgin english,also the melanesian pidgin english[also known as tok pisin or neo-melanesian]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

The Dwaaaheda accent is vommit inducing. They should use a Drogheda man reading poetry as an alternative to white noise.

Some Ozzy accents are incredibly annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭thenutflush

"gimme four-een mas-bas and a chicken baw-ga luv"

- droghedian

"eh well. give us tuuuu bluuu shooos there hey. good luck"

- dundalkian

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Ireland: Dwaaaaaaaaahada or skanger dubs, Kyavan and Cork city

International: Has to be US/Canadian, or Norn Iron. Aussie accents on girls can be very whiny, sometimes nasal. New Zealanders sound like squawky pigs with Aussie accents.

Not that my mixed south Dub accent is any better either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

The only non skanger accent in Dublin is the stupid fake D4 accent. If you think that accent is pleasing to the ears you need to get yours dewaxed :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Paddy_Smith

"gimme four-een mas-bas and a chicken baw-ga luv"

- droghedian

"eh well. give us tuuuu bluuu shooos there hey. good luck"

- dundalkian
    I think there should be a few more a's in the Drogheda one, and then an r at the end of the 15 or so a's(only the words that have an 'r' after the 'a'). There should be 'hey' at the end of the sentences aswell.

But you have the Dundaaaaaaaaalk accent spot on kiddd!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

uvox wrote: »
    Vincent Browne held a competition in 2002 (I think), while he was standing in for Pat Kenny on Radio 1 during Pat's holidays one summer to find the worst accent in Ireland. I believe the winner was the accent from Ardee, Co Louth.
    wots wronng wit the ardee accent hey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭robbyvibes

D4 accent is imho a direct result of US entertainment on Irish TV.
    It is the most bogus irish accent i've ever heard.

Related to imported US culture is people overusing words when talking, in particular "like"

"he was soooo funny...and I was like..oh my god"

Normal US people don't talk this way, kids.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭geespot

any asian accent me love you long time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭CitizenKeane

Kind of a natural evolution. Starts with saying 'hello' then people move to part 2 of the conversation 'how are you?' and eventually how are you becomes the opener. Now it's 'well' since everyone knows you mean 'hello, how are you' anyway.

Soon it'll start with 'I know, it's terrible isn't it'

Eventaully all conversations will open with 'goodbye'

:D:D Very good!

But that "well" thing isn't confined to Tipp. I'm from Mayo and use that all the time.
    Work with a girl from Sligo and that's how she greets everyone. It's either "Well" or "Well, what's the fun?"

And on the Sligo accent - it's very slow. They're only up the road from us, but it is very different. For example, I pronounce Ireland in 2 syllables Ire-land.
    She pronounces Ireland in 3 syllables I-re-land.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

Picky much? So only one county has a nice accent in Ireland, and the rest sound like pigs! What kind of a fool are you!? Venture outside the Pale often do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Hands down the inner city dublin skanger accent...

Also the D4 accent.

Contrasting but equally annoying!!

Out of Ireland I don't like that Cheryl Cole accent either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Indian accent... Gives me the shits.
    French... Annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭StereoLove

KeithM89 wrote: »
    As a fellow Draawwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwda hater, i agree - doesnt even sound like the english language
    I agree.

Also, I'm supprised to see that the Cork accent hasn't been mentioned too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭TiGeR KiNgS

new zealand accent
    it sounds like every male has quite a faggy lisp

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

new zealand accent
    it sounds like every male has quite a faggy lisp

I quite like them two guys from the Flight of the Conchords...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 444 ✭✭RainbowRose81

The worst accents are the strong dublin accents. The scotiish accents are horrible. The liverpool accent. The cork accent very hard to understand so is the kerry and limerick accent. A good few of the chinese and japanese speaking english they have nice voices its just they their accent can produce broken english. Another thing is some of the polish or eastern europeans or africans living here talking in the dublin accents like saying the same things real dubs would say in the same way and being exactly like them. I am not from dublin but i live here but i am still myself and have my accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

im the only dub in me class in college and im surrounded by cultchies and northies on a daily basis. the Monaghan accent is super sexy and also the Letrim one is ok as well as meath. galway is a smelly accent as well as Killkenny but the worst has to be cork fukin hell its shocking id rather listen to fukin townies on heroin then listen to a cork man

Advertisement