Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the worst accent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

chasm wrote: »
    Is that just Cheryl Cole/Tweedy's accent or the geordie accent as a whole;)

Accent as a whole, couldn't remember it was called geordie:o

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭NoHornJan

Go to the Croke Park area now and listen to an angry Louth accent..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

I really can't stand most Dublin accents. I think that's about it.

I feel my Cork accent has gotten stronger over the past few years. No idea why. I don't know whether to be happy or sad over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭jackthelad321

All accents can be a bit annoying, it usually depends on who's talking. outside the usual Ireland ones, (I thought Limerick, my land, was in for a kicking here, not terriby popular) I'd go for Australian, especialy when it's high pitched, any American accent, and to be honest any extreme accent, I prefer neutral ones. even a Scots accent will annoy me after a while, depite it being nice at first. Same for Donegal, Belfast etc.

The only accent that has never irritated me is probably the Welsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭Barna77

The (I believe) Northern correspondent in RTÉ news. I'd say he invented a new county today, he talked about Meath and somewhere else... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

The Wicklow town accent. It's so whingy and moany.

And I hate they way they call their parents mammy and daddy like they are six year olds. Whingy moany six year olds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Louth is pretty bad. I worked with 2 girls from up around there and their accents used to cut right through me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    I really can't stand most Dublin accents. I think that's about it.

I feel my Cork accent has gotten stronger over the past few years. No idea why. I don't know whether to be happy or sad over it.

you should be sad about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 redstar6

Cork, Kerry, Wexford, Waterford, Fundalk, Drogheda, Skanger Dub, D4 Dub. WTF is wrong with a CAVAAAAAAAAAAAN accent?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

Barna77 wrote: »
    The (I believe) Northern correspondent in RTÉ news. I'd say he invented a new county today, he talked about Meath and somewhere else... :confused:

It wouldn't have been Lieth, would it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Dudess wrote: »
    D4 - every time I hear it, I die a little inside.

ditto.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭RoRoCullen

Belfast. Cork. D4 'accent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

An easier question might be:
    What is the least annoying accent?

I would say any of the ones from the west of Ireland Galway/Mayo/Sligo

Of course a new thread would be a better place to ask...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,981 ✭✭✭✭bnt

You folks need to, like, totally, get out more - y'know, go to LA and meet a Valley Girl, OK? Bitchen, I am Sure!

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

pmcmahon wrote: »
    you should be sad about it

awww, ok:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Tiny Explosions

I find the white south African accent fairly irritating.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Melange

I find the white south African accent fairly irritating.

Couldn't resist posting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

100% cork accent, as tommy tiernan once quoted, " like a tinker talkin french"

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Lloyd Xmas

One of the most vomit inducing experiences is listening to the D4 accent... when some fool is adding in an artificial lisp for extended honourary gayness.

Conor Lenihan does this and I think Miriam O'Callaghan may be prone to the odd bit too. But there's thousands of young Sssthaoirses and Ssssthorcas that are studying hard for Masters Degrees in this Boll*xology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

anything north, west or south of the pale M50
    Except Sligo, my wife's from there.

• Advertisement

seriously though, i suppose i'd have to go with inner city cork.. only hard to understand cause you're running away from him before he stabs you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pdempz

dublin by far has to be the worst..... bores a hole in my head every time i hear it!!!

pdempz wrote: »
    dublin by far has to be the worst..... bores a hole in my head every time i hear it!!!

d4, inner city, old dub, malahide?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭baltimore sun

London, by far and away the worst accent in the world.

Adding the letter R to words without them and adding the letter W too.
    Everytime I get an phonecall from London I try and get the conversation over as quickly as possible.

Other English accents are ok though, Cornwall is especially funny

I like most Irish accents though, 'cept Drogheda, that's just nasty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

100% Cork.........Full Stop...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,714 ✭✭✭✭briany

I had a classmate in college who had not only a D4 accent but a speech impediment such as Jonathan Ross has but worse. His nickname was "Wally Wabbit". But yeah D4.....Horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Why do the Irish say "so" at the end of a sentence, when it clearly doesn't belong there? I have always wondered.

For me, worst accents ever are american and northern English. Best accents ever = Welsh & Scandinavian. I would do almost anything for someone with a Welsh accent, especially something dirty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭I_AmThe_Walrus

The muck-savage boggering caveman aborigine originating from the back-arse of Ireland accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

Northern Ireland accent.
    Suitably imitated by saying "nine iron" over and over again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Northern Ireland accent.
    Suitably imitated by saying "nine iron" over and over again.
    it's NORN IRON YOU FOOL

Advertisement