Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Great race. Seems to me that Bekele was a lot more route and road-race savvy. Backing off to allow the lads lead the pace out was good, to make the other guys doubt him. The downhill bit Bekele took in his stride. Farah, on the other hand, was nearly braking, leaning backwards. Then towards the finish the finish chute was very narrow and tapering and Bekele was streetwise enough to prevent Farah from gaining an initiative. And it was still oh so close. A great effort from Farah but he left too much to be done in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭wgtomblin

Berlin Marathon to be broadcast on Eurosport2 this Sunday, 7.45am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

wgtomblin wrote: »
    Berlin Marathon to be broadcast on Eurosport2 this Sunday, 7.45am.

Also here for anyone without Eurosport:
    http://www.sportschau.de/av/videostreamderberlinmarathonimlivestream100.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Itziger

Looks like a perfect day for it. Great stream, shame I have to head out for a run!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

My German isn't great/non-existent but Kipsang looks to be on for a world record.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

That tool should be shot that ran through the finish line there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

ecoli wrote: »

I sincerely hope he was rugby tackled to the ground out of shot. What a git!

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Shooting would be too good for him, what a way to ruin a moment. There was some other eejit doing backflips along the road a few km from the finish as well.

I only saw the last 20 minutes or so, from the splits he seemed to run a brilliantly paced race, outrageously quick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Honestly makes me wish the Stasi were still around to drag him into some dark basement for a few days....

Inspiring run btw....Kipchogie was class as well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

jeffontour wrote: »
    There was some other eejit doing backflips along the road a few km from the finish as well..

I think the guy doing back flips was there to keep the crowd entertained whilst waiting for the leaders to appear.

jeffontour wrote: »
    Shooting would be too good for him, what a way to ruin a moment.

Looks like this was the same guy that was done at the Hannover Bundesliga match the week previously:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

ya the acrobat before the finish was hired help

what's the big deal about the prankster breaking the tape?....i didn't feel any overwhelming urge to shoot him..............

ya the acrobat before the finish was hired help

what's the big deal about the prankster breaking the tape?....i didn't feel any overwhelming urge to shoot him..............

Kipsang has been focused on breaking this record for the last few years (aimed for it in Frankfurt but it had been revised weeks previously by Makau), has spent months solely focused on this race. Has spent money out of his own pocket to athletes to pace him through sessions (I think about $5k roughly as well as gear though this most likely came from sponsors). He then managed to dig in when it counted to get that record and some fool trying to promote prostitution takes away from his achievement.

The sporting arena is no place for politics or social agendas (examples are Silverstone and the Olympic marathon, the Boston Bombings, Munich Olympic murders)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

Kipsang has been focused on breaking this record for the last few years (aimed for it in Frankfurt but it had been revised weeks previously by Makau), has spent months solely focused on this race. Has spent money out of his own pocket to athletes to pace him through sessions (I think about $5k roughly as well as gear though this most likely came from sponsors). He then managed to dig in when it counted to get that record and some fool trying to promote prostitution takes away from his achievement.

The sporting arena is no place for politics or social agendas (examples are Silverstone and the Olympic marathon, the Boston Bombings, Munich Olympic murders)

The sporting arena is a wonderful platform for worthwhile social causes and should be utilised far more extensively. The recent spiritually uplifting events in brazil during the confederations cup are a worthy example. Major sporting events like the Berlin marathon are predominately commercial operations that make a small privileged group of people in the world richer off the back of a sporting event. The only reason you dont see more social causes highlighted is because police forces act in typically fascist manner in cracking down on any gatherings London last year been a shocking example of that. It makes the Brazilians bravery this summer even more exceptional.

sam30 wrote: »
    The sporting arena is a wonderful platform for worthwhile social causes and should be utilised far more extensively.

Not by people who hijack an event in order to get their message across.

If the participating athletes use these events as a means of expression I would see it as fair enough as it is their choice to deal with the consequences of their actions but there is a way to go about these things

- Did Vanderlei de Lima deserve to lose his only chance at an Olympic Gold so we could hear about the impending doom of the world?
    - Did 11 Israeli athletes deserve to lose their lives to further Black Septembers cause

The likes of Emma Green painting here nails rainbow colours in Moscow this year or the 68 Black power salute are occasions where the athletes themselves have made statements which is fair enough as they are the ones who have something to lose here as a result of their actions but some randomer choosing to high jack someones rewards for years of hard work and sacrifice.

While it will not take away Kipsangs record from the weekend it still detracts from what should have been his time to be acknowledged for his achievements by some fool who decides he wants his 5 min of fame and the fact that this is being talked about at all in many forms of media and social media is a highlight that he was successful to an extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

Not by people who hijack an event in order to get their message across.

If the participating athletes use these events as a means of expression I would see it as fair enough as it is their choice to deal with the consequences of their actions but there is a way to go about these things

- Did Vanderlei de Lima deserve to lose his only chance at an Olympic Gold so we could hear about the impending doom of the world?
    - Did 11 Israeli athletes deserve to lose their lives to further Black Septembers cause

The likes of Emma Green painting here nails rainbow colours in Moscow this year or the 68 Black power salute are occasions where the athletes themselves have made statements which is fair enough as they are the ones who have something to lose here as a result of their actions but some randomer choosing to high jack someones rewards for years of hard work and sacrifice.

While it will not take away Kipsangs record from the weekend it still detracts from what should have been his time to be acknowledged for his achievements by some fool who decides he wants his 5 min of fame and the fact that this is being talked about at all in many forms of media and social media is a highlight that he was successful to an extent.

Were a million Brazilians on the streets this summer randomers? Were the people who advocated for sporting sanctions in apartheid south africa randomers? Will the protestors at the winter Olympics who think you should be allowed be openly gay be randomers? Will you be up in arms because some downhill skier who has worked all her life to win a medal doesnt perform to her best because a protestor with a rainbow flay puts her off her game?

There are far more important things in the world than sport or some individuals disappointment at not achieving their sporting goals and individuals who are prepared to highlight oppression in whatever form at major events and face the consequences are my true heroes. Having to hear whinging from some numpties who are afraid some overpaid athlete mightn't perform to their maximum with social protests going on around them is galling

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Think you're way off there in your examples.

Players playing in SA during the apartheid could quite easily be accused of supporting that regime. That's fair game in some eyes. They made a choice to play there. Then again, you get someone like Paul Simon who argued that he was supporting the people who were being oppressed.

The Olympics etc isn't as straightforward. It could be argued that having the Winter Olympics in Russia is a good thing for highlighting issues etc.

Either way, it's way off topic.

Were a million Brazilians on the streets this summer randomers? Were the people who advocated for sporting sanctions in apartheid south africa randomers? Will the protestors at the winter Olympics who think you should be allowed be openly gay be randomers? Will you be up in arms because some downhill skier who has worked all her life to win a medal doesnt perform to her best because a protestor with a rainbow flay puts her off her game?

There are far more important things in the world than sport or some individuals disappointment at not achieving their sporting goals and individuals who are prepared to highlight oppression in whatever form at major events and face the consequences are my true heroes. Having to hear whinging from some numpties who are afraid some overpaid athlete mightn't perform to their maximum with social protests going on around them is galling

Your reference to the events in Brazil are slightly flawed in the sense that the reasons for the protest were as a result of the consequences of hosting the Confederations Cup, World Cup and Olympics. The overspending on these events while public transport costs were increased. Here the sporting events were actually part of the problem.

Similarly the International sanctioning of SA was as a form of punishment towards a country. Athletes had ways to compete around this (and a number of runners did by running for other nations) so it was not in a sense hijacking of the event itself.

With regard to protest on topical issues what would be your stance on hoodlums and vandals using organised marches as an guise to incite violence and destruction of property? Similar to the riots a couple of years back at the Orange Order march through Dublin? My point is that these sort of major events should not be taken advantage of by opportunists. There is a time and a place to highlight these issues.

Also your reference to overpaid footballers does not apply to all sports and some athletes rely on winning medals to get some sort of funding;

http://money.cnn.com/2012/07/10/news/economy/olympic-athletes-financial/index.htm

So yes these events can have more importance to the individuals than you realize.

The Olympic ethos from ancient times was about promoting peace and soldiers laying down their arms and while the modern games has slightly digressed from this somewhat I still believe that these basic principles should be honored.

So while there are are more important things in the world than sport, I think people can sometimes forget the implication that sport can have for many people across the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Let's face it, some knobhead invading the course either for the buzz, or to promote a prostitution service, is a bit of a world away from the social protestors you're going on about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,531 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There are far more important things in the world than sport or some individuals disappointment at not achieving their sporting goals and individuals who are prepared to highlight oppression in whatever form at major events and face the consequences are my true heroes.
    So, if I'm inferring correctly, the guy promoting a prostitution service is your hero?
    sam30 wrote:
    making a small privileged group of people in the world richer off the back of a sporting event
    ...and prostitution is what exactly?

The guy was a self-serving twat. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Good interview with David Gillick on the Saturday night show. Interesting reflection on his carreer so far and openly speaking about depression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Next time you want to watch a US/UK only stream try http://hola.org/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

Today @ 1pm Chicago marathon

NBC 5 Chicago
    Tune into NBC 5 and catch live coverage of the Bank of America Chicago Marathon from 7 – 11 a.m. Not in Chicago? Log on to nbcchicago.com for extended coverage from 7 a.m. – 1 p.m., including live video, custom video clips, photos and social media integration. You can watch from anywhere in the world on your smart phone or computer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Cragg I top 20 after 20k

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

rom wrote: »
    Today @ 1pm Chicago marathon

NBC 5 Chicago
    Tune into NBC 5 and catch live coverage of the Bank of America Chicago Marathon from 7 – 11 a.m. Not in Chicago? Log on to nbcchicago.com for extended coverage from 7 a.m. – 1 p.m., including live video, custom video clips, photos and social media integration. You can watch from anywhere in the world on your smart phone or computer.

Coverage was OK. Some crazy decisions made by TV editor - commercial break took precedence over the elite men going through half marathon?

On a separate note, is the Amsterdam marathon being shown on Eurosport next Sun?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭ClashCityRocker

Athletes rather than athletics on tv, Mo Farah is on Alan Carr's Channel 4 show this evening at ten pm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

RTE 1 7.30pm tonight - The Science Squad:

The Science of Running
    There has been an explosion in the popularity of running in Ireland in recent times. Aoibhinn gets into her running gear and takes a close look at how science is facilitating this passion, both from a physical and mental point of view with apps and monitoring technology, to gait analysis and clothing/footwear design.

Ososlo wrote: »
    RTE 1 7.30pm tonight - The Science Squad:

The Science of Running
    There has been an explosion in the popularity of running in Ireland in recent times. Aoibhinn gets into her running gear and takes a close look at how science is facilitating this passion, both from a physical and mental point of view with apps and monitoring technology, to gait analysis and clothing/footwear design.

Watched this. Pretty basic and the "personal trainer and running expert" certainly didn't seem to be a proper runner himself but the V02 max stuff was ok...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Profile on James Cracknell just starting on ITV4 now. Covers all his sporting endeavours.

Advertisement