Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics on TV

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

I know the BBC should focus on their own athletes but seriously, it's as if there is no one else at the meet.

You should just go to see it live. :) Looking forward to seeing Rudisha in the flesh today. What a man!

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

You should just go to see it live. :) Looking forward to seeing Rudisha in the flesh today. What a man!

Not a bit jealous:(

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Dindane

Morton Games were on Setanta last night. On again Wednesday at 12:30 lunchtime.

Belfast International highlights on Setanta Wednesday 5:30pm.

Cork City Sports was streamed live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,855 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will record these, thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭HurlyBurly

For anyone with EuroSport 2 (or their player online) - there's live athletics tonight at 6.30 from Lucerne

• Advertisement

Finnolla Britton running 5000m on eurosport2 now

Ndiwa won in 15:15, Finonnuala came in 6th or 7th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

Monaco (Diamond League) is on Friday, on BBC3, from 19:00-21:00.

Some other upcoming events on TV listed here on Cork AAI website

Highlight of this weekend's AAI National Senior T&F Championships on RTE 2 tomorrow Sunday 20th, 18:05-19:30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Sainsbury's Anniversary Games - Today (Sunday) at 1.30pm on Channel 4.

Hopefully the coverage will be better than their 2011 World Championships coverage :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

veganrun wrote: »
    Sainsbury's Anniversary Games - Today (Sunday) at 1.30pm on Channel 4.

Hopefully the coverage will be better than their 2011 World Championships coverage :)

Cheapest tickets for this cost £50 plus booking fee. Absolutely disgusting :mad:

Pity cause it looked good on tv

Athletics on TV for next 10 days - Listing on Cork AAI website - inc three live IAAF Diamond Leagues; Stockholm, Birmingham & Zurich (Weltklasse)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Birmingham Grand Prix (Diamond League too) on BBC 2 now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,600 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Great 73 second run for Rudisha in a 600 race. Should me more of these "odd" distances raced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Komen record safe.

YFlyer wrote: »
    Komen record safe.

It's a record that is beatable. Seems greater because it's not such a targeted distance. With the right pacing and training I think Farrah could challenge it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

walshb wrote: »
    It's a record that is beatable. Seems greater because it's not such a targeted distance. With the right pacing and training I think Farrah could challenge it.

Yes I agree. Can't see anybody getting anywhere near his 3000m WC :pac:

YFlyer wrote: »
    Yes I agree. Can't see anybody getting anywhere near his 3000m WC :pac:

That's an iconic WR. Some of the all time greats have tried and failed. Even EL G failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

Definitely don't think Farah could challenge it, if Farah was going to challenge any world record he would have done it by now. Komen was an unbelievable athlete with Farah still 14 seconds off. Don't forget that Komen is 3rd fastest all time over 5000m aswell with a 12:39.74. Mo Farah hasn't (and won't) even come close.

pa4 wrote: »
    Definitely don't think Farah could challenge it, if Farah was going to challenge any world record he would have done it by now. Komen was an unbelievable athlete with Farah still 14 seconds off. Don't forget that Komen is 3rd fastest all time over 5000m aswell with a 12:39.74. Mo Farah hasn't (and won't) even come close.

I don't think that is fair. If the race was paced and deliberate then he is capable of challenging the times. He doesn't seem to have set the times as his goal. His PB over 5 k is 12.52 I think. Was that in a deliberate an paced race for a fast time? Isn't he 9-10 seconds off the two mile mark? Farrah's range of times is very very impressive. Comparable somewhat to Komen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 617 ✭✭✭pa4

walshb wrote: »
    I don't think that is fair. If the race was paced and deliberate then he is capable of challenging the times. He doesn't seem to have set the times as his goal. His PB over 5 k is 12.52 I think. Was that in a deliberate an paced race for a fast time? Isn't he 9-10 seconds off the two mile mark? Farrah's range of times is very very impressive. Comparable somewhat to Komen.

Farah is without a doubt a phenomanal athlete but I think those records are well out of reach. Farahs best chance of breaking a world record would have been in 2011/2012 IMO. In fact I think he would have a better chance of breaking the 1500m world record if he concentrated on it over the 3k, 5k or 10k. Mo Farah ran 12:52 in the Monaco diamond league in 2011 in a paced race with 7 lads under 13 mins. An ideal race for a fast time. Remember even Galen Rupp ran 8:07 for 2 miles indoors this year pretty much on his own since second place was 8:51. At that pace there's a big difference between 8:07 and 7:58.

I really would love too see Farah get into a fast, paced race to see what he really is capable off but at 31 I think his chances of breaking world records are gone but there's definitely a few PBs left in him yet.

pa4 wrote: »
    Farah is without a doubt a phenomanal athlete but I think those records are well out of reach. Farahs best chance of breaking a world record would have been in 2011/2012 IMO. In fact I think he would have a better chance of breaking the 1500m world record if he concentrated on it over the 3k, 5k or 10k. Mo Farah ran 12:52 in the Monaco diamond league in 2011 in a paced race with 7 lads under 13 mins. An ideal race for a fast time. Remember even Galen Rupp ran 8:07 for 2 miles indoors this year pretty much on his own since second place was 8:51. At that pace there's a big difference between 8:07 and 7:58.

I really would love too see Farah get into a fast, paced race to see what he really is capable off but at 31 I think his chances of breaking world records are gone but there's definitely a few PBs left in him yet.

I agree that maybe 2011/2012 was his best time to challenge records.

Reminder...especially to self...:rolleyes:
    Weltklasse (Zurich) IAAF Diamond League meet is live on BBC 2 tonight, 19:00-21:00

Athletics on TV on Cork AAI website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Emma Coburn has been one of my favourite athletes this season. She has single handedly made a previously boring event now interesting. Every race this year she has just gone for it from the gun. None of this jog and kick stuff. Good to see somebody really take it to the Africans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Didn't appear to be much love lost between Simpson and Rowbury lol

Some race tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭pajor

Condo131 wrote: »
    Reminder...especially to self...:rolleyes:
    Weltklasse (Zurich) IAAF Diamond League meet is live on BBC 2 tonight, 19:00-21:00

Athletics on TV on Cork AAI website

I thought English was racing in this. Did he pull out?

Several "Plum" events coming up:
    Van Damme on Friday,
    Gateshead on Saturday and
    The Great North Run on Sunday:

This week's TV listings on Cork Athletics Website

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Condo131 wrote: »
    Several "Plum" events coming up:
    Van Damme on Friday,
    Gateshead on Saturday and
    The Great North Run on Sunday:

This week's TV listings on Cork Athletics Website

Ciara Mageean and John Travers down for the miles in Gateshead on Saturday.

http://greatcitygames.org/Results/2014_gncg.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Sacksian wrote: »
    Ciara Mageean and John Travers down for the miles in Gateshead on Saturday.

http://greatcitygames.org/Results/2014_gncg.aspx

Be fascinating to see how Mageean gets on.

Also am loving the look at that 500m race. The Big O and Eilidh Child, up against Lyndsey Sharp. A great idea. At 500m, it may favour the 400m runner (550 may be the real cut off mark), but then again the Big O is running like a donkey this year so who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Be fascinating to see how Mageean gets on.

Also am loving the look at that 500m race. The Big O and Eilidh Child, up against Lyndsey Sharp. A great idea. At 500m, it may favour the 400m runner (550 may be the real cut off mark), but then again the Big O is running like a donkey this year so who knows.

I thought Ciara Mageean looked really, really smooth at the nationals this year. Given that she only started back in earnest in April, I think, she might be in good shape for this type of late season event. But there's no pressure, just good for her to be back running.

Christine Ohuruogu seems to run every 400m like a 450m race, so the 500m could suit her! Lynsey Sharp doesn't seem to have a great 400m or 200m, although she ran the European 800m from the front so maybe she's now faster but just hasn't got a time. Eilidh Child is fast over 400 and has a hurdler's strength, so maybe she will take it!

I think you're right about it favouring the 400 runners, and if they had another 400 runner, instead of another 2 800 runners, it would be a really interesting race.

Advertisement