Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Germany, Wed 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

CorkMan wrote: »
    IMO Ballack should take over as manager if he retires.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

Spain were ok tonight.... they played their usual game of keep ball and didnt really get many clear cut chances...

i think Germany missed Muller big time tonight, he was great for an out ball (which Germany really needed)... I don't think Germany fully defended like they should... Khendira (sp?) had an awful game..didnt really break up the play like he did in the last few matches...

great header by Puyol..shockin defending though.. spain played better and deserved their win... really getting very frustrated watching them play though... they are the perfect 1-0 team...they never really go "all out attack"... i think if Holland go 1 up then Spain will struggle to get back into it....

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭The Cannibal

flahavaj wrote: »
    Why?

I suppose it's the same reason people were spouting about Beckham as a future England manager. "Just 'cause"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Van Gaal would be the smart choice as next manager, but I can't help but see certain sections of the media having it in for him because he is Dutch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭mada999

Dunphy reckons Alonso 'had a poor game tonight'.

yeah thought he was excellent!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Why?

As a short term replacement before the german football federation get in someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Only reason I would question him is because Germany went out there like a team who expected to lose, was it the managers fault for not motivating them. I think he had his tactics wrong tonight. It seemed to be defend, defend, defend and then if you're lucky try and break, to win with those tactics you would have to be incredibly lucky. Khedira also seems to have been carrying an injury and didn't look match fit.

On the other hand he seems to be great with the young players. The team is very young, they just need a replacement for Friederich and Klose. Most of the players have another two World Cups in them. There seems to be no shortage of young players coming through and these players can only get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As a short term replacement before the german football federation get in someone else.

Why would they need a short-term replacement? Even if for some reason Loew was to go (which he obviously should not), why would they need to appoint a short-term manager?

This is the most hypothetical scenario possible, but IF Germany need a new manager in the upcoming years, I say Ottmar Hitzfeld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Whats wrong with the guy they have, the guy who has a handy habit of taking unfancied teams to the last four or beyond of major finals?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    As long as the majority of Irish people find watching Spain boring Ireland will always produce technically sub par players and consequently pretty poor teams. Spain are an absolute joy to watch.

Step out of the Premiership shadow you knuckleheads!!!

Olé!
    Spain are obviously a good side, but as Johnny Giles would say "we can only go on what we've seen Bill", and the Spain games in the world cup so far were boring compared with Germany. Tonight, Spain were the better team though, but I wanted to see Germany win. Part of the reason is everyone (your post being prime example) saying you "have" to like Spain!
    Hyndsy85 wrote: »
    That's what happens when the other team has every player just defending.

Some posts seem to look at what kind of goal Spain got and not seem to realise they completely dominated Germany.

Had the Germans not had all their players defending the spanish would have ripped them to shreds
    That post makes no sense! So, Spain would have ripped germany apart if they didn't get everyone back to defend, but you slag off Germany for defending!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Paparazzo wrote: »
    That post makes no sense! So, Spain would have ripped germany apart if they didn't get everyone back to defend, but you slag off Germany for defending!

If Germany let Spain score at will, they would have scored more... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Whats wrong with the guy they have, the guy who has a handy habit of taking unfancied teams to the last four or beyond of major finals?:confused:

And he has an excellent range of scarves and sweaters. A sign of a top manager :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

DubDani wrote: »
    OK, Spain will win. Was just predicted by octopus Paul, and he hasn't been wrong so far this World Cup. :D

And still isn't..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Why would they need or even want a short term replacement? Yogi has done a very good job since he took over from Klinsmann and has developed a great team of youngsters who will surely go on to do great things in the future. If he does decide not to stay on, the last thing Germany need to do is install some interim manager whilst they look for a "real one". And they won't. The DFB is not the FAI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Spain are obviously a good side, but as Johnny Giles would say "we can only go on what we've seen Bill", and the Spain games in the world cup so far were boring compared with Germany. Tonight, Spain were the better team though, but I wanted to see Germany win. Part of the reason is everyone (your post being prime example) saying you "have" to like Spain!

That's because most teams Spain have faced parked the bus and knew how to defend unlike Germanys run which has featured Australia who couldn't picked a handier formation for Germany to play against and England and Argentina who were appalling defensively. Not take away from Germany who did well to exploit those holes but it's not Spains fault the draw fell as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

Er, what?

You don't win tournaments on excitement. Teams allow Germany to be more exciting because they don't line up as defensively against Germany (because they're not as good) as they do against Spain.

Where was the exciting football from Germany tonight?

I don't say anyone "has" to like Spain, but if you, or the majority of Irish people find Spain outclassing teams to be boring, then football is fúcked in this country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

well done Spain.

the better team tonight by a mile.

Germany had no real clue what to do when they had the ball; probably because they seemed to have it so rarely.

it'll be fun watching van Bommel on Sunday try to kick and spit his way through the Spain midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

All Spain were missing was a fit Torres up alongside Villa.

The amount of times they got out wide and had little to aim at in the box and had to play it back.

They probably should have started with Llorente, but they did enough, and in fairness Pedro had a very decent game.

Passed the ball excellently, took their time, and really showed how football should be played.

Hopefully a cracking final on Sunday :)

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

SlickRic wrote: »
    it'll be fun watching van Bommel on Sunday try to kick and spit his way through the Spain midfield.

I smell a red. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Joachim Loew "Spain are the best team in the world," "They have won all their important games in the last two or three years and have been pretty much unchanged in that time. They play in an automatic way, with everyone knowing what is expected of him. I'm pretty confident they'll go on and win this title because, when they want to be, they are in complete control. They dominate opponents and games, and have shown they can beat anyone and everyone." "The team should remain the same no matter who the coach is," "We have a core, a nucleus, and their development has just started. It is far from over. "I looked at the players' faces in the dressing room after the game and there was such disappointment, but we weren't good enough tonight. Spain are a wonderful team, so what more can I say? They deserved to win this match, absolutely. They moved the ball quickly and we weren't able to combat them. They have been the most skilful team over the last few years and they were better than us."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Just in from watching the game. Delighted for Spain. I had a feeling the Germans would struggle against a Spanish team with so much of the ball and it could have been 2-0 or 3-0 in the end. I do think there was a bit too much expectation on Germany but I'm sure they have a very bright future ahead of them. I won a few bob by going with Spain so I'm pleased.

Not sure about the final though. I think it's a close one to call but I'm pleased we'll see a new winner this year. Could be a cracker of a final if both sides really go for it and play to their best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I feel SICK .... SICK cos i get all these results that i dont want to happen bang on ....

Spain Portugal 1-0 BANG On ....

Spain Paraguay 1-0 BANG ON...

Spain Germany 1-0 BANG ON ...

And they will beat holland 2-1 ....

Where was the Germany that beat Argentina 4-0 ???

how did they fall apart ??? --- THAT ****ING OCTUPUS ??? :rolleyes:

the_monkey wrote: »

how did they fall apart ???

they didn't.

Spain were just better.

that's no slight on Germany; sometimes a team just outplays you. Germany are young, their time could well still come when they mature fully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

I tell you, thank christ i was wrong about my prediction of Chelsea blowing the title, i would have been lying dead right now in a street in Barcelona with a noose round my neck..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Wat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

redout wrote: »
    Joachim Loew

Good man Jogi. That's how to lose with a bit of dignity. Pity the Spaniards find it hard to scrape together enough between them to come close.

they didn't.
    Spain were just better.

They did, and Spain were godawful for the vast majority of that match, they might have been 'better' but better than crap can still be crap. Throw in a few dodgy decisions, a set piece bam. They won it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

prinz wrote: »
    They did, and Spain were godawful for the vast majority of that match, they might have been 'better' but better than crap can still be crap. Throw in a few dodgy decisions, a set piece bam. They won it.

Spain outplayed Germany all over the pitch and they were superb. It was as plain as day last night for everyone to see.

Sour grapes on your part. It was quite obvious from your posts were your allegiances lie.

Vyse wrote: »
    Spain outplayed Germany all over the pitch and they were superb. It was as plain as day last night for everyone to see..

Germany played brutally. Spain were mediocre at best. Reduced to long range off target shots and set-pieces. Lots of possession but didn't actually do a thing with it. If you think the Spanish performance last night was an example of superb football well then I'm sorry for the future of football :(
    Sour grapes on your part. It was quite obvious from your posts were your allegiances lie.

Er, no it's not. Yes I was supporting Germany, but they are a young team and to even get as far as they did was an achievement. I was under no illusions that they would be beaten at some stage by a better team. Spain beat them. But Spain played terribly, and anyone with any sort of ability to take a step back can see that. It was a terrible match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

But Spain played terribly, and anyone with any sort of ability to take a step back can see that.

Well I'll take it from the pundits who lauded there performance as oppossed to people who posted the likes of this before the match
    As long as the ref and his team are up to the job! Anyone know what officials are taking charge tonight?

Hope Spain get hammered.

Total bias on your part.

• Advertisement

Total bias on your part.

I wanted Germany to win. :confused: What does that have to do with calling the Spanish performance fairly crap? Two different issues. If the Spaniards had been superb I would have acknowledged that. They weren't. Far from it. You seem to be assuming because I was supporting one team I am incapable of judging the opposing team on their merits. I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,843 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I wanted Germany to win. :confused: What does that have to do with calling the Spanish performance fairly crap? Two different issues. If the Spaniards had been superb I would have acknowledged that. They weren't. Far from it. You seem to be assuming because I was supporting one team I am incapable of judging the opposing team on their merits. I'm not.

Not really, Spain were good for most of the match. They controlled the game from start to finish almost, their short passing game gave them the vast majority of the possession, fair enough they didn't create too many chances but they prevented the Germans from doing the same. This should have played into Germany's hands with their counter attacking tactics but it didn't quite pan out that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

LOL at all the Spain knockers, they are the best team in the world regardless of Sunday's result, current European champions as well with fantastic players. Lawro was knocking them yesterday as well, if Ireland played like Spain I'd be in Heaven.
    They are up there with Brazil 1970 and Holland (74-78) as one of the best international sides I have ever seen, so I will accept Jurgi's analysis over yours.
    Even though I have the Dutch backed I hope this Spanish team goes on to fulfil their destiny a true Golden generation.

If Spain won with any sort of style I'd be the first to put my hands up and congratulate them. The better team won on the night again, no complaints there. To say it was a superb performance etc etc that's just nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Well I'll take it from the pundits who lauded there performance as oppossed to ....

Pundits are the worst. Especially the RTE ones.

I don't think that Spain dominated the match. They played well and won the game all right but they still had to work hard for it. They were pressing the Germans constantly and also lost the ball quite a few times. Germanys problems were in their attacking play, they kept giving the ball away through bad passes. Most notibly was a break where Podolski tried to give the ball straight back to Ozil (who had just passed and started running forward). The team wasn't the same without Muller playing. They are going to be a big team over the next 8 years, thats for sure.

The better team won on the night, but unless Spain can do more than grind out 1-0 victories then they will never be anything more than an Italy with a little more flair to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Best headed goal of the tournament.

scored by the ugliest f&cker in the tournament

Spain dominated possession and chances created.

they ground out nothing.

it could have been 2/3-0 if a couple of shots had been a foot or two the left.

Germany had one chance of real note, plus their penalty that could have been. but Spain had one of those too.

i was up for Germany, but they were thoroughly outclassed. as Joachim Loew said himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Spain are doing just enough to win the games. Every team who has played them so far, maybe with the exception of Chile, has set themselves up the exact same way - 10 men behind the ball and counter attack. Teams are not allowing Spain play their usual expansive game.

Its a shame, but if teams did try and take Spain on, they would get hammered, so by using these negative tactics they cannot be blamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

gimmick wrote: »
    Spain are doing just enough to win the games. Every team who has played them so far, maybe with the exception of Chile, has set themselves up the exact same way - 10 men behind the ball and counter attack. Teams are not allowing Spain play their usual expansive game.

Its a shame, but if teams did try and take Spain on, they would get hammered, so by using these negative tactics they cannot be blamed.

Spot on, Remember this was the same German team that played brilliantly to destroy Argentina and England yet were made look second rate by Spain.

• Advertisement

Spain dominated possession...

51%:49% possession is hardly domination. Only 3 more shots on target than Germany, which could easily be a few long range rubbish efforts straight to Neuer. 7 corners to Germany's 6... the only thing Spain did 'dominate' was shots off target.

I wanted Germany to win. :confused:What does that have to do with calling the Spanish performance fairly crap? Two different issues. If the Spaniards had been superb I would have acknowledged that. They weren't. Far from it. You seem to be assuming because I was supporting one team I am incapable of judging the opposing team on their merits. I'm not.

Considering you're probably the only person to have [apparently] watched the match that thinks that, well, er, you're obviously quite wrong, or have no idea what good football is.

Prinz - seriously, did you even watch the game last night? Do you know much about football?

Because its seems form your posts the answer to both of those questions should be 'no'.

Spain danced around Germany for 90 minutes. Germany were reduced to a few half chances off the break.

Spain are missing a bit of cutting edge with Torres being unfit, but they seriously played Germany off the park.

I was expecting a Spain win, but I wasn't expecting them to dominate as much as they did.

Spain were very far from 'godawful' as you put it.

They were excellent.

patmac - Lawro finds it difficult to give any team or player kudos. He at his best when moaning.
    I don't think that Spain dominated the match. They played well and won the game all right but they still had to work hard for it.

I'll have to lol at this seriously.

A masterclass in possession football, skill on the ball, accurate & quick passing, solidity in defence, composure, and frustrating the opposition.

Shots: Spain 13, Germany 5
    On target: Spain 5, Germany 4
    Possession: Spain 61%, Germany 39%
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/matches/match_62

While by the end, the possession stats would only have Spain slightly in the lead (51% / 49%) that doesn't tell the story.

Yes, truly a master class in possession football :rolleyes:

Yes, truly a master class in possession football :rolleyes:

They were the incorrect stats, edited above.

Even if that was the case, only by not actually seeing the match would you consider that not great. Spain had all of the ball in Germany's half, and pressed for goals. When Germany had the ball, it was mostly in their own half. A simple stat does NOT tell the full story.

You obviously don;t understand football, or are just so biased and disappointed the Germany lost, thats its couding your judgement. You're pretty much the only person that doesn;t think Spain walked around Germany.

Well, they did, end of. Germany finally came up against opposition that were capable of playing football (after 2 very easy games in fairness), and they failed. They will be a good side, but just too inexperienced at this moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Thats the same FIFA website who does not know how many goals Scneijder scored ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I may be wrong here, but every player who has scored for Spain so far in this tournament plays for Barca. Iniesta, Villa, and Puyol. Am I missing anyone?

Prinz - seriously, did you even watch the game last night? Do you know much about football?

Yes, and yes, and like I said the better team on the night won, but it was far from the great, superb performance that some people like to imagine.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

gimmick wrote: »
    Thats the same FIFA website who does not know how many goals Scneijder scored ya?

What is the story with Sneijder's goals? AFAIK he has actually got 5 after the goal review committee gave him the first one against Brazil. They do have a tendency to give goals to the attacking team unless completely unavoidable. Although now I'm trying to recall if they awarded Kluivert that o.g. against Yugoslavia a few years back... or was that the euros?

• Advertisement

Yes, and yes, and like I said the better team on the night won, but it was far from the great, superb performance that some people like to imagine.

In your eyes then, what would constitute a great, superb performance?

If Spain played like last night, exactly how they did against Portugal does not constitute a great performance, I'd really like to know what sort of football floats your boat.

Advertisement