Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Germany, Wed 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

1789101113»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

prinz wrote: »
    Yes, and yes, and like I said the better team on the night won, but it was far from the great, superb performance that some people like to imagine.

To be honest i would be thinking the same, It was not a suberb performance, and i wouldn't call it a masterclass in possession football either.

Spain won, but it was not a convincing win for me. Before the match i was thinking the winner of this game would provide the winner of the World Cup, but for me the Dutch could play the same game as Germany last night and provide more of a threat on the counter attack.

It wouldn't be a game i would show kids for instance to highlight the powers of possession football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

In your eyes then, what would constitute a great, superb performance?

Making your superiority actually count with a dose of good sportsmanship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I think Spain were totally in control of yesterdays match.

Their style of football mightn't be the most exciting one to watch and it mightn't produce many goal scoring chances either but it was good enough to keep Germany at bay and always looked like scoring eventually.

Tactically Germany was trying to emulate what the Swiss did to Spain, but unlike the Swiss the German players didn't look like they believed themselves they could pull it off. I think the tactical outset made it look more one-sided than it was, but Germany weren't really at the races at all.

They had to work so hard for the few times when they got the ball of the Spaniards that they hadn't got the energy and concentration to break with any conviction.. Some of the players individually below par and Mueller missed but even without all that it was always going to be a tall order. Every German player would have to play at their individual best to give Spain a serious game and that wasn't happening last night.

I think the gap isn't as big as it was two years ago and is more in the head than anywhere else, but quite a visible gap there was nonetheless.

Overall I'm looking forward to see more from this German team over the next years and I'm pretty delighted with this World Cup from a German point of view.

I'm hoping Spain wins it now. Netherlands historically deserve a title too and their claim is older but when I'm looking at the current teams I want Spain to get it more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Does the scoreline not show that their superiority counted at the end?

How were Spain bad sports last night?

gimmick wrote: »
    Does the scoreline not show that their superiority counted at the end?

Yes it does.1-0 to me says better yes, superb no.
    gimmick wrote: »
    How were Spain bad sports last night?

Not neccessarily last night, but in general this Spanish team have proven to be bad winners and bad losers. Last night there was diving, there was Ramos would could easily have seen a red card, time wasting etc. They have no problem taking people out one moment and then hitting the deck screaming and writhing for no reason the next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

3 yellow cards in the entire tournament so far. Superiority counted, 1-0.

Sportsmanship *tick
    Superiority counting *tick

Am I missing something? Did you have a big bet on Germany or something, is that why you seem to be so bitter towards the Spanish? ;)
    Not neccessarily last night, but in general this Spanish team have proven to be bad winners and bad losers. Last night there was diving, there was Ramos would could easily have seen a red card, time wasting etc. They have no problem taking people out one moment and then hitting the deck screaming and writhing for no reason the next.

I've not known this Spanish team to be bad losers or winners. There was very little diving last night, and Germany as just as adept at the odd bit of simulation.

bit in bold: Are you sure you're not thinking of the Dutch?

Am I missing something? Did you have a big bet on Germany or something, is that why you seem to be so bitter towards the Spanish? ;)

I'm not bitter, that's the thing. I am just not going to indulge in a wet dream over them. If they play better than the Dutch then they deserve the WC no problems. If they don't play better, the Dutch deserve to win it. I already said they were the better team last night, how is that bitterness? :confused:

Were Switzerland superb when they beat Spain? Did they give a masterclass?

I've not known this Spanish team to be bad losers or winners.

You should check out Schweinsteigers interview after the 08 final, when the Spanish team decided to do a 'conga-train' back and forth as he was trying to give an interview for a perfect example.

As for Ramos last night, he had no trouble putting the boot in. Amazing that van Bommel gets called out on it, and rightly so, but for Spain....nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I've not known this Spanish team to be bad losers or winners. There was very little diving last night, and Germany as just as adept at the odd bit of simulation.

to be fair, and I've defended them in terms of a lot of the football world being dislikeable in some way...but the Spanish team can definitely be unsportsmanlike.

7 of the team play for Barca, and do we need to remind you of the Nou Camp incident with Inter.

plus that Schweinsteiger dance of course.

You should check out Schweinsteigers interview after the 08 final, when the Spanish team decided to do a 'conga-train' back and forth as he was trying to give an interview for a perfect example.

As for Ramos last night, he had no trouble putting the boot in. Amazing that van Bommel gets called out on it, and rightly so, but for Spain....nah.

Ha that was hilarious! Spain were jubilant, thats not winning badly.

Ramos makes 1 late tackle and you consider that 'putting the boot in'? Have you ever played football?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

SlickRic wrote: »
    to be fair, and I've defended them in terms of a lot of the football world being dislikeable in some way...but the Spanish team can definitely be unsportsmanlike.

7 of the team play for Barca, and do we need to remind you of the Nou Camp incident with Inter.

plus that Schweinsteiger dance of course.

What's that got to do with anything?

1. It wasn't Spain.
    2. It wasn't anything to do with the players or coaches really.

Unless you mean Valdes trying to pull Jose back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

Ramos makes 1 late tackle and you consider that 'putting the boot in'? Have you ever played football?

I have and I don't stamp on a moving ball, only on someone I want to injure.

:rolleyes: Is that right? Why couldn't they be jubilant in their dressing room? Or away from the TV cameras while there is an interview in progress? It was just childishness.
    Ramos makes 1 late tackle and you consider that 'putting the boot in'?

I lost count of the amount of times Ramos should have gotten a yellow.
    Have you ever played football?

:rolleyes: And that's the end of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ah come on now, that was winning badly. They can do the conga all they want in their own dressing room, out on the pitch in front of their fans, anywhere in the tunnel if they really want, but to do it intentionally behind Schweinsteiger who was giving a live interview was winning badly.

I'd like to see them win the WC ahead of the Dutch, because i agree with you that the dutch have kicked other teams off the park while at the same time have players who will go down like they were sniped at the feintest touch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Good man Jogi. That's how to lose with a bit of dignity. Pity the Spaniards find it hard to scrape together enough between them to come close.

Care to explain that or is it just another of your many anti-Spain posts ?

Forgot to add last night that Puyol's goal instantly reminded me of his header in the 6-2 massacre at the Bernabeu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Spare a thought for the punter who staked €500,000 on a German win is unlikely to be joyous today after losing the largest World Cup bet in history.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Spare a thought for the punter who staked €500,000 on a German win is unlikely to be joyous today after losing the largest World Cup bet in history.

Dear God!!! In what was, IMO, going to be the closest game of the entire World Cup?!?!?! That's why I didn't bother putting a penny on anything attached to the game! Not even for a goalscorer (and good thing too, cos who'd have thunk Carles woulda come up with the goods? In all fairness!) did I have a punt.

€500k on Germany... Fooking hells bells..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

im happy spain won i had hoped villa would score but hopefully he win in the final

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

DazMarz wrote: »
    Dear God!!! In what was, IMO, going to be the closest game of the entire World Cup?!?!?! That's why I didn't bother putting a penny on anything attached to the game! Not even for a goalscorer (and good thing too, cos who'd have thunk Carles woulda come up with the goods? In all fairness!) did I have a punt.

He will eat the octopus for dinner no doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

redout wrote: »
    Care to explain that or is it just another of your many anti-Spain posts ?

Plenty of examples already given of Spanish players behaviour, after both winning and losing matches.

Once again question the OTT BS surrounding Spain and you are "anti-Spain".... what is anti-Spain btw? I already said they were the better of the two teams last night, I also said if they play better than the Dutch they deserve to win the WC and that I'd say fair play to them for doing it.

When did it become a crime not to follow the party line on Spain? Why don't I try it... I creamed my pants last night Spain were that good. :rolleyes:

Spain are bad losers, and bad winners.

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Spain are bad losers, and bad winners.

Says MUSSOLINI...

Plenty of examples already given of Spanish players behaviour, after both winning and losing matches.

Once again question the OTT BS surrounding Spain and you are "anti-Spain".... what is anti-Spain btw? I already said they were the better of the two teams last night, I also said if they play better than the Dutch they deserve to win the WC and that I'd say fair play to them for doing it.

When did it become a crime not to follow the party line on Spain? Why don't I try it... I creamed my pants last night Spain were that good. :rolleyes:

you come across as bitter judging by your posts as has already been pointed out to you.

you have posted numerous times in this and the Spain thread and just kept repeating yourself for the most part.

Is the once not enough ?

I dont understand it to be honest - you have made your point.

Some agree with you and others do not so why do you keep repeating yourself ?

you come across as bitter judging by your posts as has already been pointed out to you.

Such as? Explain what is bitter about it? It's getting laughable now. Say the Spanish team were better on the night but the performance wasn't as good as it's being made out to be - oh yeah that's just bitterness...

I thought this was a place to discuss football no? Not to insult others and their knowledge of the game etc because they have a different opinion?
    Some agree with you and others do not so why do you keep repeating yourself ?

You mean why do I answer questions put to me? :confused:

Says MUSSOLINI...
    What is your point?

Such as? Explain what is bitter about it? It's getting laughable now. Say the Spanish team were better on the night but the performance wasn't as good as it's being made out to be - oh yeah that's just bitterness...

You mean why do I answer questions put to me? :confused:

If you cant see it when others can then you are obviously incapable of distinguishing.

Plenty of posters have come on and said pretty similar to yourself but the difference is they dont hang around for another 20/30 posts more or less repeating themselves.

your going on like a broken record at this stage and dont seem to be making much headway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭patmac

DazMarz wrote: »

The punters name wasn't Prinz by any chance?

• Advertisement

patmac wrote: »
    The punters name wasn't Prinz by any chance?

I wish I had that kind cash around :pac:

Plenty of posters have come on and said pretty similar to yourself but the difference is they dont hang around for another 20/30 posts more or less repeating themselves..

You could say that about a few people. If I have repeated myself it's down to being accused of sour grapes, being bitter, not knowing anything about football or the technical aspects of the game, being biased, not having played at a high enough level to appreciate excellence.... etc. Notice how not one of these have anything to do with the actual point I made about the but all refer to me personally....hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    Goal!!! Puyol
    He didint need his legs after all:(

Advertisement