Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Germany, Wed 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I hope Fabregas starts:

Casillas

Ramos
    Puyol
    Pique
    Capdevila

Busquets
    Fabregas
    Xavi

Iniesta
    Villa
    Llorente.

I would go with this, leave out Alonso and keep Busquets as the tackling midfielder. Fabregas-Xavi-Iniesta is the most mesmering midfield-passing trio for a long while :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DubDani

OK, Spain will win. Was just predicted by octopus Paul, and he hasn't been wrong so far this World Cup. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

DubDani wrote: »
    OK, Spain will win. Was just predicted by octopus Paul, and he hasn't been wrong so far this World Cup. :D

That was reported as a fake, Paul still has to choose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Did he say within the 90 mins or after extra-time/penos? I want to bet on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I really haven't a clue how this will go.

I think Germany's games have relied on taking an early goal. I think thats where their domination of England and Argentina came from. I think if Spain can hold out longer, the game is theres personally. I think that that could well happen. However Puyol is a liability at the back, one that I'm sure Germany will target. As such, I think its going to be a cracker :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Wow a lot seem to think Germany will walk away with this one.

They won't.

Spain have not been firing on all cylinders but they have still passed the ball very well, and they hold onto possession and frustrate teams very well.

Germany will not enjoy the level of possession and time on the ball they had against England & Argentina - neither of which would have been a test for any decent team, both truly awful.

In fact, Germany might have a hard time getting ANY time on the ball.

They have shown that they really can close out games, even when 3-0 up, they play as though its 0-0, great attitude.

But Spain will be a MUCH tougher test. Torres must be dropped, and I don't see why they can't start with Llorente, he was very good when he came on against Portugal.

I'd rather see Spain win, because they've always under achieved at the World Cup, and its really boring seeing Germany get to a final again!

I want a Spain V Holland final. Neither have ever won it, so would be a great occasion.

Secretly, I want a Spain V Uruguay, final, as I have Uruguay in my work sweep he he :D

Spain to beat Germay 2-1 in extra time. Villa to score both for Spain, and the ever reliable Klose to score for Gerany, beating Gert Muller's record, and equalling Ronaldo's.

_Bella_ wrote: »

He just did choose Spain... about 30 minutes ago.

Germany will not enjoy the level of possession and time on the ball they had against England & Argentina - neither of which would have been a test for any decent team, both truly awful.

In fact, Germany might have a hard time getting ANY time on the ball.

Funny that you say that, because Germany doesn't really need/want possession. They are letting teams come at them and tryi9ng to counterattack quickly. Against England and Argentina they had both times far less possession then the opponent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Warper wrote: »
    Did he say within the 90 mins or after extra-time/penos? I want to bet on it.
    He just did choose Spain... about 30 minutes ago.

SSN just said he predicted Spain although I have to say what a load of nonsense. No way this will have any bearing on the game.

Its getting quite funny, now there are conspiracy theories and everything!
    Experts are now speculating if Paul’s prophecy might have been just a smart fake move to keep the Germans in the position of the underdog.

• Advertisement

Funny that you say that, because Germany doesn't really need/want possession. They are letting teams come at them and tryi9ng to counterattack quickly. Against England and Argentina they had both times far less possession then the opponent.

Germany had an awful lot of time on the ball when they had it. Overall, they may have had a little less possession, but I suppose I meant time on the ball when they did have it.

They do counter attack very well, but Spain are probably the stingiest defence they have come up against.

Should be a good match though, so fingers crossed for an exciting encounter :)

Germany had an awful lot of time on the ball when they had it. Overall, they may have had a little less possession, but I suppose I meant time on the ball when they did have it.

They do counter attack very well, but Spain are probably the stingiest defence they have come up against.

Should be a good match though, so fingers crossed for an exciting encounter :)

Yes but Ramos often ventures foreward as they have no one playing as a right winger so the Germans can quickly counter in this side.

This match is really difficult to call. The Germans have been excellent but they are missing Mueller and Spain will provide a sterner test. Villa if you ask me has been lucky in his goals with two coming off deflections from other shots. But Spain have amazing players and can frustrate the Germans. If the Germans get an early goal then I think they will win it as thats how they have their matches but if they have to chase the match I can foresee problems. Basically too early to call!

Yes but Ramos often ventures foreward as they have no one playing as a right winger so the Germans can quickly counter in this side.

Sergio 'the sex machine' Ramos?

The Germans will only get down his wing if he lets them, and if they agree to have sex with him.

Sergio 'the sex machine' Ramos?

The Germans will only get down his wing if he lets them, and if they agree to have sex with him.

I can foresee Podolski raping Torres ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

I'm seriously struggling to call this match. Pros and Cons for both teams.

Germany:

They've been by far the most impressive team at this World Cup. They have taken apart England and Argentina with relative ease. However, one thing I will say is that the early goals have helped them. When teams have had to attack Germany the counter attack by the Germans has been unbelievable.

Spain:

Out of the four teams who are in the semi finals it could be argued that Spain have been the least impressive. However we all know the capabilities of this Spanish side. I do believe that Torres needs to be dropped. It has been blatantly obvious that he isn't fully fit and if they give him this week to recover you never know how he might be for the final if they were to make it.

Match Up:

I think Spain may just squeak this after extra time. I don't think people realise how big a loss Muller is for Germany. Capdevilla is Spain's weakest player in the starting 11 and without the inform Muller I don't think Germany will exert as much pressure on Capdevilla as they could have. If Spain can successfully keep the ball and retain possession they will win as it is guaranteed that David Villa will score.

Just like the last two rounds I see Villa being the kingmaker.

2-1 Spain AET.

Villa and Iniesta for Spain.
    Klose for the Germans.

The way I see it is this:

Spain actually turn up then Germany dont have a hope

alternatively if its the same Spain we have seen all tournament then its an open game in my opinion.

and it would be the latter I would be inclined to go with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

I have to laugh at the whole octopus carry on. Who in their right mind would think this has any bearing on the outcome of the game. Apparently the same octopus predicted Germany to beat Spain in the euro 2008 final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Spain will progress, I believe. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I have wanted Spain to win all the time, but Germany have been the top dogs in this tourny so far. I really cannot call this one. Hopefully Spain. Ill be in the Spain supporting pub in town anyway. Man the talent there on saturday was phenomenal....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I hope Spain win , swap Fabragas for Torres and they have a better chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

News just in, Fabregas injured his leg in training and is a doubt to play

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8793269.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Good news for Spain. Bringing in Cesc for Torres would have been a ridiculous thing to do. Some merit to bringing in Llorente for him though.

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    News just in, Fabregas injured his leg in training and is a doubt to play

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8793269.stm

Its the fibula he broke against Barca only 3 months back.

gimmick wrote: »
    I have wanted Spain to win all the time, but Germany have been the top dogs in this tourny so far. I really cannot call this one. Hopefully Spain. Ill be in the Spain supporting pub in town anyway. Man the talent there on saturday was phenomenal....

Where is that pub?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

meh

119253.png

Where is that pub?

Yeah, thats what I want to know!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

The omens aren't great for Germany. Paul the all-seeing, all-knowing octopus has deserted them in their hour of need.

I really do hope that Germany can beat Spain. It isn't unfair to say that Spain have been nowhere near their best at this World Cup, whereas Jogi Löw's jungs have been outstanding.

Besides, a Germany v Holland final would be incredible.

Deutschland vor!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Boskowski wrote: »
    meh

damit.png

Und damit endet alles für Deutschland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Where is that pub?

Door51 on the Grand Parade.

• Advertisement

Und damit endet alles für Deutschland?

Nee, natürlich ist das bloss eine heitere Note zu der ganzen Angelegenheit. Ich bin nicht abergläubisch.

Deutschland wird auch Spanien wegfegen, ein weiterer Meilenstein in einer WM-Kampagne die bei zukünftigen Generationen als das Wunder von Süd-Afrika bekannt sein wird. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Germany red hot chilly peppers...sligo could with their keeper in the connacth final:):)

gimmick wrote: »
    Door51 on the Grand Parade.

Bit far away but cheers

So seemingly there was a big barny in the german camp.

Lahm said in the press conference that he should remain as captain even after the World cup and this seemingly pissed off Ballack who I think they said has now left the country and headed back home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

redout wrote: »

Lahm said in the press conference that he should remain as captain even after the World cup and this seemingly pissed off Ballack who I think they said has now left the country and headed back home!

LOL as if Ballack's ever getting a game for Germany again. Best thing that could've happened them was his injury tbh.

Who doesn't love a but of drama. Personally I think Ballack will struggle to make it back onto the team, his pace has gone and Khedira has been impressive. He also doesn't like playing with Schweinsteiger who after this tournament has cemented his place in that position.He's 33 now so he's a bit old for Euro 2012. Lahm seems to have been a good captain and I think he more said that he wanted to remain captain which I can understand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

If Spain turn up and finaly play what we know they can then i reckon it'll be close with the Germans edging it... If Spain roll on in with another of they're recent performances then it could be 3 or 4 to the Germans.
    That being said, Germans dont hit they're stride and Spain do, then Spain could sneak it... Hard to see anything less than another solid, well orchastrated German peformance!

Deutschland 2-0 Spain

flahavaj wrote: »
    LOL as if Ballack's ever getting a game for Germany again. Best thing that could've happened them was his injury tbh.

How do you know ?

I wouldnt say he is personally contemplating retiring just yet.

hey thread maker, can you make a poll?

How do you know ?

I wouldnt say he is personally contemplating retiring just yet.

Whether he retires or not, I don't think he's good enough anymore to get into this German team, nevermind captain it.

Lahm has proven to be an excellent captain so far and deserves to keep the armband.

CorkMan wrote: »
    hey thread maker, can you make a poll?

I cant see a purpose to it - reading the thread it is apparently obvious the majority of people are going for Germany thus rendering a poll pointless.

• Advertisement

Whether he retires or not, I don't think he's good enough anymore to get into this German team, nevermind captain it.

Lahm has proven to be an excellent captain so far and deserves to keep the armband.

Right so all you have is your opinion on that.

I reckon he will play again and soon.

International friendlies in august and he should be fit by then - also Euro 2012 campaign starts in september.

I would say he will feature somewhere in there.

Right so all you have is your opinion on that.

I reckon he will play again and soon.

International friendlies in august and he should be fit by then - also Euro 2012 campaign starts in september.

I would say he will feature somewhere in there.

I just think he's past it, in fact I've thought it quite a few times on seeing him play for Chelsea the past few seasons. He will struggle to get back into this vibrant new team.

Yes thats my opinion btw, and yes indeed its all I have.

I just think he's past it, in fact I've thought it quite a few times on seeing him play for Chelsea the past few seasons. He will struggle to get back into this vibrant new team.

Yes thats my opinion btw, and yes indeed its all I have.

I cant agree with your thinking at all - he was captain and automatic starter up until he was injured in the fa cup final in may. Now because Germany go on a run to the semi-final with whoever replaced him you consider him out. I cant see that happening to be honest. All we can do is wait and see what happens come august or september I suppose.

I cant agree with your thinking at all - he was captain and automatic starter up until he was injured in the fa cup final in may. Now because Germany go on a run to the semi-final with whoever replaced him you consider him out. I cant see that happening to be honest. All we can do is wait and see what happens come august or september I suppose.

As I said his injury was a blessing in disguise. It would be unbelieveably harsh on Khedira to be dropped now and Schweiney I must surely be undroppable now. Especially when you consider the German managements very praiseworhy policy of giving youth their head, Ballack will IMO struggle to be a regular starter again, which make Lahm a better choice of captain.

But as you say, we'll have to wait and see.

I think in this years WC if you have a yelllow card in the semi and get booked, you can still play in the final.

I can see some hacking happening, and unfortunately if you get injured you are out for the final! No joker card for that.

Eamon fancies Spain.
    Phew. Close one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Does anyone actually have ITV HD ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Germany v Holland final please.

very little can beat that rivalry.

sorry Spain.

SlickRic wrote: »
    Germany v Holland final please.

very little can beat that rivalry.

sorry Spain.

I wonder will van Bommel spit on someone?:pac:

Cesc trained this evening but it aint looking good.

He signalled that he was in pain when he touched the ball.

No word from Del Bosque on his lineup - but that Cesc injury could have saved Torres from the axe.

We will just have to wait and see.

• Advertisement
Advertisement