Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

España -v- Germany, Wed 7:30pm RTE & ITV HD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I think the point with the Ballack thing is politics. Everyone would nearly agree that Ballack doesnt merit his place in the German starting 11 anymore but the problem is political. Before his injury he was a cert for starting and being capt. and now obv. due to Germany's excellent performances he is surplus to requirements. The problem lies with the difficulty in dropping such a player in his countries greatest moment, a country he led with great success in the past. We all know it should be done but there is no "appropriate" way to do it so the player should open his own eyes and retire gracefully and be that great capt. that he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

syngindub wrote: »
    Does anyone actually have ITV HD ?

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

flahavaj wrote: »
    I wonder will van Bommel spit on someone?:pac:

Klose would be perfect for the Voeller role. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭JJ

All the Spanish fans will/should be singing this tonight:

Uno de-enero, dos de febrero, tres de marzo, cuatro de-abril, cinco de mayo, seis de junio, siete de julio, ¡España win! Al Final del Mundial, por una media y por una media, al Final del Mundial, por una media y con victoria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,846 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Do Spain even have a chance I mean are they going to get destroyed by Germany :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Deustchland vor, noch ein Tor!!! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've backed Germany from before the start of the tournament so I'm not going to change now. It's about time the likes of Capdevila and Torres were sent packing their cheating bags - they've really turned me off what used to be a great side to watch. (Germany have probably just been a bit more subtle in their cheating, that said, for the sake of fairness).

I do think Germany played their best game of the WC last time out against Argentina and I'd be amazed if they managed to pull off another flawless game. Spain are due a good match also, and this might be the one where they click.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Kroos replacing Mueller. No worries, throw in another 20 year old forward.

SSCCCHHHLLAAAAAAAAAANNDD!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

As I said his injury was a blessing in disguise. It would be unbelieveably harsh on Khedira to be dropped now and Schweiney I must surely be undroppable now. Especially when you consider the German managements very praiseworhy policy of giving youth their head, Ballack will IMO struggle to be a regular starter again, which make Lahm a better choice of captain.

But as you say, we'll have to wait and see.

I agree 100%, I also think that any chance of open arms to their captain for the sake of loyalty or whatever, has evaporated after this outburst.

A lot depends on whether Loew stays on as manager, of course. A new manager could change everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

G'wan Nando
    FernandoTorres1.jpg

redout wrote: »
    Now because Germany go on a run to the semi-final with whoever replaced him you consider him out. I cant see that happening to be honest. All we can do is wait and see what happens come august or september I suppose.

I can. He's getting older, and there are younger/fitter/hungrier players with the stones to replace him. I would say the team would actually prefer Lahm to be captain. Ballack would have been a negative influence on the rest of the team in this WC I reckon, and there's not much love lost there between some of the players and him either, tbh I doubt there'd be too many tears shed by the players if he doesn't return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

I hope Germany get to the final. Match will be very close. Dont think the Germans will have it has easy as the last two games.

I'm hoping the discussion about the captaincy is being created deliberately to divert some media attention before the big occasion.
    If it's not, it's a totally unnecessary discussion at this point in time. that's why I actually think it's deliberate. It appears out of character for Lahm to raise such a thing right now. But I could be wrong who knows what exactly is going on.
    Anyway. Michael Ballack is a footballing heavyweight still and I'm not sure there s nothing left he can give to this team. Although it would be difficult to see anyone being dropped at the moment for him.
    Once Ballack drops the armband he's on the way out and he knows it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

This is the final before the... final.

Head says Germany, heart says Spain. I think Spain will do a much greater job in stifling Germany than the previous teams (ie. NOT concede four) but Germany have so much in the tank it's scary, even without Mueller. Any team that can put eight past Argentina and England - despite those country's problems - is doing something right. Spain haven't looked good, relying on Villa and 1-0 victories. Can you see Germany conceding more than one, and them leaving Villa with plenty of time on the ball? No way, Lahm and Khedira will be all over his ass.

Boskowski wrote: »
    Michael Ballack is a footballing heavyweight still and I'm not sure there s nothing left he can give to this team. Although it would be difficult to see anyone being dropped at the moment for him.
    Once Ballack drops the armband he's on the way out and he knows it.

Ballack is a stubborn sob to be honest and I cant for one minute see him taking what Lahm said as anything more than an insult. He will go on his terms and not somebody else's. Still reckon he will pull on the German shirt again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

gimmick wrote: »
    Door51 on the Grand Parade.

See you there. I'll be one of the Spanish looking fellows. :p I wont wear my furia roja jersey to make it easier for you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Wow, that will really narrow it down. I hope to regain my spot on the balcony anyway. Best seats in the house.

Ah barstooling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I haven't read this thread so I'll ask - why not España -v- Deutschland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,018 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

syngindub wrote: »
    Does anyone actually have ITV HD ?

Yep, Had to to tune it in manually on Sky+hd.

baraca wrote: »
    Yep, Had to to tune it in manually on Sky+hd.

TEACH ME HOWWWW :D

• Advertisement

eZe^ wrote: »

Just go to options and add channels and put this in :)

channel frequency pol symbol rate f.e.c

ITV 1 HD 10.832 H 22000 5/6

EDIT: Even better, http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055520627

Just go to options and add channels and put this in :)

channel frequency pol symbol rate f.e.c

ITV 1 HD 10.832 H 22000 5/6

you will need both a HD tv and Sky HD box or any HD satellite receiver otherwise it wont work.

redout wrote: »
    you will need both a HD tv and Sky HD box or any HD satellite receiver otherwise it wont work.

I presumed he already knew this as the channel is called ITVHD.

I presumed he already knew this as the channel is called ITVHD.

you would be amazed by the amount of people who think they can just use any tv or who believe their regular sky box will do the trick or who think all they need is a HD tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

Good news for Spain. Bringing in Cesc for Torres would have been a ridiculous thing to do. Some merit to bringing in Llorente for him though.

why is that?

they were much better when he replaced him at the weekend

the germans shouldnt even need a team talk, just show this on a screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

event wrote: »
    why is that?

they were much better when he replaced him at the weekend

Because I think a midfield of Xavi, Xabi, Cesc and Busquets is woefully one-paced, and because for all of Torres' fluffed chances, he's still effective as the focal point of their attack, pushing defences back and giving shape to the team. If Torres must be dropped, Llorente should be the man to replace him, in a like-for-like change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Because I think a midfield of Xavi, Xabi, Cesc and Busquets is woefully one-paced, and because for all of Torres' fluffed chances, he's still effective as the focal point of their attack, pushing defences back and giving shape to the team. If Torres must be dropped, Llorente should be the man to replace him, in a like-for-like change.

I agree. Throwing Cesc makes it 5 central midfielders plus Villa up front - total lack of width and if Villa is alone up front you even lose the bit of width that Villa's drifting left has given the team A serious case of too many cooks IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭token56

Have to go with Germany for this, they just seem to be so well organised at the moment.

mike65 wrote: »
    I haven't read this thread so I'll ask - why not España -v- Deutschland?

We're being semi-pretentious this week.

• Advertisement

oh get over yourself.

EDIT: Just to clear this up the OP originally did have Deutschland and not Germany but when previewed it appeared awfully lopsided considering the length of the word as opposed to the other country name and not centred like the rest of the post (the entire post is centred) so it was decided to replace it with Germany and thus keep it as close as possible to centred like the rest of the post. I would also like to add that I dont have to explain myself to anyone on this forum least of all a poster who is more concerned with getting in a snide remark and trying to be funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Come on Spain!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

WC final 2014: Eiré VS Føroyar

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭5ForKeeps

Thought the game was live on BBC not ITV...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

It is on BBC not UTV!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

I agree. Throwing Cesc makes it 5 central midfielders plus Villa up front - total lack of width and if Villa is alone up front you even lose the bit of width that Villa's drifting left has given the team A serious case of too many cooks IMO.

I agree with this, if Fabregas plays it would have to be a repeat of the set-up at Euro 2008 with Silva on the left. Maybe Pedro could slot in instead of Fabregas. I think it has to be 3 in the middle, 2 out wide (and 2 that actually stay out wide, not more people wandering into the centre) and one up front.

5ForKeeps wrote: »
    Thought the game was live on BBC not ITV...
    xtal191 wrote: »
    It is on BBC not UTV!!

The Sky tv guide had it down as ITV on saturday July 3rd - it must have been changed sometime over the past five days - not the first that has happened during this world cup I might add.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

perhaps, but doing that does allow iniesta to push further forward in support of villa.

they would also bring in silva, with him and iniesta either side of villa

event wrote: »
    perhaps, but doing that does allow iniesta to push further forward in support of villa.

they would also bring in silva, with him and iniesta either side of villa

Iniesta is at his best playing where he does for Barca: in centre midfield. Playing those five midfielders basically means you are moving Spain's best and most creative players (ie Xavi and Iniesta) away from areas of the pitch where they do their stuff the best, for the sake of accomodating players who don't do those things quite as well as them in the first place.

Del Bosque needs to put his best players in their best positions and start making some tough like for like choices. At the moment he's trying to accomodate everyone and diluting his team's effectives totally by doing so. He neesd to play one of Fab or Iniesta and one of Xavi or Alonso. I'd have Iniesta and Xavi any day of the week personally. But picking them all is a bit mad.

• Advertisement

This is what's going to happen.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

That is one cracking goal. We can only hope.

This is what's going to happen.
    :D

Just one slight difference, Puyol will head it up and out and Podolski will bury it :D

prinz wrote: »
    Just one slight difference, Puyol will head it up and out and Podolski will bury it :D

If we're talking 77th minute it could only be a consolation goal not the only goal. :D

Spain will just have far too much all over the park for the poor little Germans. Pique and Villa to score, with Lahm getting sent off. :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭paddyismaddy

i'd love to see spain win but doubt it will happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

And I'm nervous about tonights match ! :eek:
    A confident German fan has staked a whopping €500,000 on Jogi Loew's side to beat Spain tonight at odds of 1.91 (10/11). The monster sum was placed over the telephone with a well known British bookmaker and is reported to be one of the largest bets ever to be placed on a single World Cup fixture.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/2994/betting/2010/07/07/2014211/world-cup-2010-punter-stakes-500000-on-germany-to-beat-spain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Chances are, if he's putting €500,000 on a bet, he won't lose any sleep if he doesn't win.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Chances are, if he's putting €500,000 on a bet, he won't lose any sleep if he doesn't win.

Or else he may not even have a bed to sleep in if he's put the mortgage on it.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭mathie

_Bella_ wrote: »
    And I'm nervous about tonights match ! :eek:

Those odds must mean its 'to make it to the final'.
    Right?!

• Advertisement
Advertisement