Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over rating teams based on legacy

• 03-07-2010 9:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

The hype around Argentina and brazil this world cup was pretty pathetic..

Brazil - The most over rated team this world cup. They were basically like bolton under Sam allardyce. Long ball, 1 donkey + 1 one skillful player up front, if you havn't got the ball Dive in on the man & hope you get the ball.

Argentina - messi = shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite, Most shots in the entire competition, 0 goals. No defence, no striker who will guarantee you a goal. A manager who is basically a mental..

Delighted for Germany, no one even menioned them before the world cup. Despite having a self sufficient domestic league, a great youth team & an amazing team spirit. I really hope this world cup is the nail in the coffin of the South American hype machine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

my spelling is ****e, sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Most people never write Germany fully off, always efficient, clean and most importantly always work as a unit. Compared to teams like Spain and Argentina who contsantly delibrately perform minor fouls to break up play and whinge at every single decision that goes against them, they are a pleasure to watch, what football should be like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Messi = ****e?

More than your spelling is ****e mate!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Im sorry but did you just say Messi is shíte?

ragg wrote: »

Brazil - The most over rated team this world cup. They were basically like bolton under Sam allardyce. Long ball, 1 donkey + 1 one skillful player up front, if you havn't got the ball Dive in on the man & hope you get the ball.

Argentina - messi = shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite, Most shots in the entire competition, 0 goals. No defence, no striker who will guarantee you a goal. A manager who is basically a mental..

Delighted for Germany, no one even menioned them before the world cup. Despite having a self sufficient domestic league, a great youth team & an amazing team spirit. I really hope this world cup is the nail in the coffin of the South American hype machine

Stopped reading here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Bit easy to say this in hindsight, were you saying these things before the WC started or during the group stages?

Luis Fabiano is hardly a donkey, btw, and Robinho and Ramires are very talented players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Kaka ain't half bad either ;) Wait there, Lucio, Juan, Maicon and Alves are all pretty good too.. Elano is dandy enough too!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Sorry, calling Luis Fabiano a donkey and saying that Messi is sh1t destroys any point you're making.

Melion wrote: »
    Im sorry but did you just say Messi is shíte?

This world cup, what did he actually do??? A flick here, a head down run there...
    He was pointless, He was even worse than rooney in terms of hype vs end result

This world cup, what did he actually do??? A flick here, a head down run there...

Heskey>>Messi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

You havent got a clue!!

xtal191 wrote: »
    You havent got a clue!!

More likely you don't havn't got a thought of your own

Watch more football please.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Bizzare statement saying Messi is ****e.

Watch more football please.

Watch less sky please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

In fairness he didn't say Messi was shíte, some people just read what they want to read.:rolleyes:

He said Argentina -(minus) Messi = Shíte

Watch less sky please

You have just called the best footballer on the planet shíte.
    Matt Upson scored a goal in this world cup, Messi didnt. Judging by what you said earlier, Upson had a better world cup.

baz2009 wrote: »
    In fairness he didn't say Messi was shíte, some people just read what they want to read.:rolleyes:

He said Argentina -(minus) Messi = Shíte

No he didnt, unfortunately.

You have just called the best footballer on the planet shíte.
    Matt Upson scored a goal in this world cup, Messi didnt. Judging by what you said earlier, Upson had a better world cup.

Best footballer on the planet? He's not even the best player at his club :confused:
    also, i said meant he was ****e at this worldcup

Best footballer on the planet? He's not even the best player at his club :confused:

I dont even have words to describe it. He is the best player on the planet, its that simple.

• Advertisement

Ok in your opinion who are the top 5 players in the world then??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

He is not only one of the best in the World atm, but he is one of the best of all time. Great players do not always make great teams however.

I dont even have words to describe it. He is the best player on the planet, its that simple.
    ragg wrote:
    Watch less sky please
    :rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Just out of interest.
    You say he isnt the best player at his club, how do you know that if you dont watch Sky? Thats the only channel you can see Barca regularly.

Best thread ever :D

Ok in your opinion who are the top 5 players in the world then??

Iniesta
    Villa
    Messi
    Ronaldo
    Kevin Kilbane (had to put an irish player in there... :pac: )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Best player of the world undoubtedly and by a country mile. Period. ;)

philip-lahm-goal.jpg

Edit: I'm actually only half joking...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I put money on Germans to the Semis before the WC started.

Nearly always a sure thing.

I'd rate Xavi better than Iniesta personally.

• Advertisement

Iniesta
    Villa
    Messi
    Ronaldo

How do you watch them 4 regularly without Sky?
    Let me guess, online?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Boskowski wrote: »
    Best player of the world undoubtedly and by a country mile. Period. ;)

philip-lahm-goal.jpg

He won and cleared the ball while fixing his captains armband.... if thats not class I dont know what is :p

I'd rate Xavi better than Iniesta personally.

Thats a whole other thread right there :pac:

How do you watch them 4 regularly without Sky?
    Let me guess, online?

The sky line is one i use to people who get caught up in the hype too much.
    Andy gray & Jamie redneck aren't the only opinions on football that matter :rolleyes:

Messi had a bad worldcup, deal with it

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I like the cut of your jib ragg. Tell it like it is.

Messi = ****e?

More than your spelling is ****e mate!

I know it's not quite maths but the equation is simple enough I think
    Argentina - messi = shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite

I read that as 'Argentina without Messi is sh1te'.
    Not
    'Messi is sh1te.'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Boskowski wrote: »
    I know it's not quite maths but the equation is simple enough I think

I read that as 'Argentina without Messi is sh1te'.
    Not
    'Messi is sh1te.'

Considering above that he has Brazil - I reckon he was actually saying Messi was ****e

titan18 wrote: »
    Considering above that he has Brazil - I reckon he was actually saying Messi was ****e

Yeah, at this world cup (where he should have showed how he can be) he has been ****e, can't see how anyone can despute this :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

I'm with ragg here and supporting Germany. Best team in the tournament so far by a long way. If Messi did the same little flick that Podolski did all the Messi fans on here would be jizzing their pants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

why did you leave out england op :p

titan18 wrote: »

I don't think he was. I think he may have been a little overburdened with expectations and responsibility.

From what I gather it seems Maradona didn't have much of a gameplan other than allow Messi to do whatever he wants so that he can win Argentina the World Cup like he did himself 24 years ago.

I may be wrong with this, nobody knows whats really going on in the Argentina camp and I may be only parroting all the other pundits, but whatever way it was supposed to work out there was an awful lot of of work to be done by the young man. All of Argentinas opponents knew about this and either man-marked him or had him doubled when around the box or whatnot.

Look at today's game for example. Mascherano hardly ever played anything forward or anything with any creativity. Maxi neither. (I don't understand why Liverpool bought him by the way, he seems the best paid 5 meter passer in the world to me.) I can't remember even the name of whatever other midfielder Argentina had on the pitch today. So all was left to Messi.

Even if you're the best player in the world - and I believe he is - that's a tall order in today's game.

• Advertisement

rossie1977 wrote: »
    why did you leave out england op :p

lack of legacy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I thought Messi was excellent throughout the tournament. He played three passes today that were absolutely sublime and split the German defence wide open, passes that most players wouldnt even see, nevermind pull off. And that's before you go into his tencity on the ball, the way he seemed to beat players at ease.

If anything Messi has gone up in my opinion at this world cup: he was played out of position by and inept manager and still managed to light up the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Infuriating how a large section of the world football media have dubbed Cristiano Ronaldo 'selfish' for taking too many long range efforts throughout the World Cup. Yet, Messi has been doing the same thing, and will (probably) escape from widespread criticism

flahavaj wrote: »
    I thought Messi was excellent throughout the tournament. He played three passes today that were absolutely sublime and split the German defence wide open, passes that most players wouldnt even see, nevermind pull off. And that's before you go into his tencity on the ball, the way he seemed to beat players at ease.

If anything Messi has gone up in my opinion at this world cup: he was played out of position by and inept manager and still managed to light up the tournament.

Is it possible that you watched him too closely- passing accurately is something all pro footballers do pretty well, tbf
    He showed nothing special this WC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yeah well done on predicting the outcome of Brazil and Argentina's tournament after their elimination. :rolleyes:

Germany have a bigger legacy than Argentina (3 world cup wins to Argentinas 2) and nobody said they would win it before the tournament. Therefore, nothing to do with legacy.

Oh and Brazil are not a long ball team. And none of their goals came from long balls. They are a counter attacking team. Learn the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Iniesta
    Villa
    Messi
    Ronaldo
    So Messi is one of the best in the world, but sh1te? :confused:

You have no argument, you're just trying to pick a fight for the sake of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,414 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Indeed it was but if anyone had cared to watch the Conmebol World Cup qualifiers they would have seen how limited both Brazil and Argentina were .
    Argentina qualified by the skin of their teeth and were appalling in alot of matches ,most notably a 6-1 drubbing in Bolivia .
    Brazil were largely unconvincing in alot of their matches too doing just enough to win alot of them and getting a fair slice of luck.
    The truth is that the standard of international football in general has probably never been at a lower level,there are no outstanding teams and alot of mediocrity .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Messi is far from ****e! Probably the best player ive seen play along with Ronaldinho,Zidane and Ronaldo(brazilian one).

Germany have suprised everyone, they are a brilliant team and look like world beaters for years to come with the age of their squad.

Brazil were still a good side. Most people expected them to be less about the samba and more solid, which they were!

But Luis Fabiano is so over rated its ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Yeah, at this world cup (where he should have showed how he can be) he has been ****e, can't see how anyone can despute this :confused:

He was amazing in the first two group games.

The third game didn't matter - Argentina were through.

The game against Mexico he got an assist when the chips were down and they needed a goal.

Tonight he was playing out of position in central midfield (he was forced to drop deep because there was no other central midfielder playing when Argentina had the ball, Mascherano stayed in line with the centre back). Even so he was the best Argentinian player and created a few chances.

Just because he didn't score doesn't make him bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,521 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Perspective please.

Torres had a sh1te world cup.

What Messi had was much better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement