Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Over rating teams based on legacy

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

DaPoolRulz wrote: »
    So Messi is one of the best in the world, but sh1te? :confused:

You have no argument, you're just trying to pick a fight for the sake of it

Read the thread.
    Messi is good
    Messi at this world cup is ****e

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Messi has had a bad WC by his high standards but he was no where near the worst just looks at 1-23 of England, France and Italy, Drogba, Ronaldo, and Torres to name a few. None of the so called big players have turned up apart from Villa. Will Messi's performance make me think any less of him as a player, no not at all. He showed plenty of glimpses of his talent but was no where near his world class ability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

ragg wrote: »
    Is it possible that you watched him too closely- passing accurately is something all pro footballers do pretty well, tbf
    He showed nothing special this WC

That must've been it, I was watching him too closely.

Sorry for wasting your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Will Messi's performance make me think any less of him as a player, no not at all. He showed plenty of glimpses of his talent but was no where near his world class ability.

So we're agreed - great player that didn't show up fo the worldup.
    In fairness, I was ****ting on argetina as a whole, he was just the focal point of my rage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Messi has had a bad WC by his high standards but he was no where near the worst just looks at 1-23 of England, France and Italy, Drogba, Ronaldo, and Torres to name a few. None of the so called big players have turned up apart from Villa. Will Messi's performance make me think any less of him as a player, no not at all. He showed plenty of glimpses of his talent but was no where near his world class ability.

torres and drogba came into the tournament injured though, ronaldo is ronaldo, no wigans or hull citys at the wc :p

messi came into the tournament with expectations of him matching maradona in 1986 and how wide of the mark were they, good player messi but not on maradonas level

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

rossie1977 wrote: »
    torres and drogba came into the tournament injured though, ronaldo is ronaldo, no wigans or hull citys at the wc :p

Just North Korea.:pac:
    messi came into the tournament with expectations of him matching maradona in 1986 and how wide of the mark were they, good player messi but not on maradonas level

Ah in fairness he was used out of position, in a ridiculously lopsided formation. And he still was fantastic IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

So we're agreed - great player that didn't show up fo the worldup.
    In fairness, I was ****ting on argetina as a whole, he was just the focal point of my rage

Why are you so angry about Argentina. No need for rage.

You are wrong to say he didn't "show up." You are basing it on the fact he didn't score and nothing else. Despite being way out of position, he did more than anyone today to get Argentina back into the game - unfortunately Tevez and Maxi didn't seem to want to get involved, Higuain wasn't clinical enough and Di Maria wasn't good enough - but he passed to them in good positions time and time again. Earlier in the tournament he tore Nigeria and South Korea to shreds.

You are predicting that Argentina and Brazil are crap after they are eliminated - well done. If you are so confident why didn't you start this thread before they played Germany? Or any other point in the tournament? Or did you change your opinion based on one game?

Show us your betting slip where you bet on Germany to win before the world cup and maybe I'll be impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

You've got Brazil/Argentina but you didn't even mention the shocking (Embarassing tbh) display that the former champions and their runner ups displayed in this World cup. Italy and France both knocked out in the group stages with little to no points in between them. Just embarrassing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The sky line is one i use to people who get caught up in the hype too much.
    Andy gray & Jamie redneck aren't the only opinions on football that matter :rolleyes:

Messi had a bad worldcup, deal with it

Exactly who here has ever said that Andy Gray and Jamie Redknapp had the only opinions that matter? Believe it or not, not everybody here is blindly spitting out what Sky say. You cannot just ignore criticisms of your post with such a broad and horribly incorrect statement.

Anyway, Brazil could have easily been two or three up against Holland. Then add to that an own goal that changed the course of the game. Any number of issues could easily have led to Brazil being in the semi-final. They fell to pieces after the Dutch got on top, but that does not change the fact that they are a very good team who have a had a fantastic record over the past few years. With a little bit of luck in the first half, they would be in the semi-finals now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

When Messi is playing amazing everybody loves him, when he doesnt play amazing they call him **** (Not pointing any fingers..op)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

I rate the current German team as highly as any, not because of legacy, in fact it's the exact opposite! I rate them because they are actually playing some lovely football, despite what a legacy of German teams have done before them!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yay, knee jerk

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Messi was great at the World Cup. The only problem was that he was having to get the ball in his own half seeing as there was only one central midfielder on the pitch, and he is a defensive midfielder. He could do as much of what he usually does as a result of this but he was still excellent.

Advertisement