Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uploading people's photos

• 03-07-2010 9:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I'm curious, what are people's opinions on uploading friends (new and long-term), acquaintances and randomers photos?

My opinion is that I've had a quite a few dodgy ones of me uploaded and I figured that the photo wasn't about me, it was about the person taking it; Their memory, moment capturing and whatever else. As a result I've been uploading photos I like without thinking that I might have stepped on people's toes.

So, what's your etiquette?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

I dont upload anything I wouldnt be happy to print and sell ..... I have posted pics of a night out (AH Drinks last year)..... several people PM'd me asking to delete images ...so I did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

do you mean on here?? or places like facebook/myspace??

i wouldnt upload anything awful of my friends, but if they said to untag them or delete it i would.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

people tagged in photos on facebook can untag themselves, btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭kittykrazy

Thanks for your responses. When I asked the question, I was thinking of uploading to any site (FB, flickr, pix.ie, etc.) in a few scenarios. For example -

1) I was at Charleville last weekend and put some photos of boardsies on my pix.ie (2 portraits, an artsy shot and a couple where faces aren't visible but you can tell who they are). I was reading a thread and someone was saying that they'd changed their settings to "contacts only" for their people photos and I have mine set to public (can't work out how to change the privacy mode on pix.ie).

2) I was at the Street Performers Festival a few weeks ago and got a few shots of kids reacting to the performers. Could a parent object to those being online? (I got into a fierce debate on that one with a friend who thinks that randomer portraits, especially of kids, are mostly invading privacy. I think that so long as any "sneaky" portrait is tasteful, it's all go.)

and 3) How about if I took a photo of a randomer in a non flattering state (eg I took a photo of a sleeping (suspected) junkie the other day) and they or someone they knew saw it online? Should the photographer remove that photo from their online album as the photographer could be accused of "taking advantage" of someone in a bad state or is it artistic license?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

pretty much any shot taken in public is fair game, from a legal perspective. obviously, people might have a valid reason for asking you to take the shot down from a public site if they feel compromised in any way by it; that decision is yours then, really.

however, i would be personally wary about putting photos of people in the situation you described re the homeless guy up; but then, i don't put photos of friends up online anywhere accessible publicly, even on facebook, but i am a bit anal about these things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Depends. Public shots of people at a festival, it's fair game. At work do's, etc, fair game, within reason. General pPublic... meh, don't really have any reason to take shots of people. If they're in the way of me taking a photo of something, tough :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I think I would have a hard time bitching about my photograph appearing as a result of attending a photography event :D.

there is one of me from charleville and its not that bad. I don't even look particularly drunk..

depends on where you upload it, too. if it's uploaded to somewhere like boards, where a user name is linked to a face, there's valid cause for concern, given that it might allow your employer to link you to your online activity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

depends on where you upload it, too. if it's uploaded to somewhere like boards, where a user name is linked to a face, there's valid cause for concern, given that it might allow your employer to link you to your online activity.
    Agreed. Facebook, I put them up, but here, not so. I have put a photo of a bunch of people up, but none of them were named.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

the_syco wrote: »
    General pPublic... meh, don't really have any reason to take shots of people.

Can't beat shots of people. Much more interesting than buildings or landscapes :)

Three from today...

896ABDE709C94C93AB3B8847B9224E2C-500.jpg

2E9192AAEF9443C8B8ADEC778DB224DD-500.jpg

8FB1B924E38B4466927AFA01D69D285F-500.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I've just been watching some trailers for 'The Social Network' - the new film about facebook. There's a lot of photos etc shown in the trailers, I wonder if they're real or created for the film itself.

Going by Facebook's T&C's it wouldn't surprise me if they were real accounts.

Advertisement