Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay vs Netherlands, WC Semi Final, Tuesday July 6th, RTE & ITV

• 03-07-2010 10:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭

uru.gifvs ned.gif

Cape Town Stadium
    Tuesday July 6th
    RTE & ITV, 7.30PM
    Should be a good game I reckon, Uruguay should put up a good fight but I expect the Dutch to just edge it.

2-1 to the Dutch IMO, maybe after extra time

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

If Uruguay had Suarez I'd have fancied them. But even so I think this could go all the way to penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Dutch should win, they are the better team, they need to ensure that Sneijder dictates the pace of the game, not Forlan. I would prefer to see them in the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

These two countries previously met in the 1974 World Cup in Germany. That great Dutch team intoduced the world to 'total football' and was probably the best side in history not to win a World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

I really think Uruguay could give this a real bash.

De Jong and Van der Wiel are suspended for the Dutch as is Suarez for Uruguay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Did you notice that was a video for Holland v Argentina, and not Uruguay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭ultain

Holland should win this...Uruguay have the option of bringing their big man sebastian abreu to fill in for Suarez..or they could be more attacking and put folan in a more forward position and bring in Ignacio Gonzalez but he's only played once in this tournament..so this could be a messy one! its got the hint of a red card or two, if the dutch can keep their heads they should get through though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Nigel de Jong is as big of a loss as anyone in that Dutch squad, bar maybe Snejider.

Still underrated by most fans!

Hate to say it, but Uruguay are the type of team who could sneak it, even in Suarez' absence.

The word is Khalid boulahrouz might come in for van Der weil...Demy de zeeuw for De jong

Nigel de Jong is as big of a loss as anyone in that Dutch squad, bar maybe Snejider.

Still underrated by most fans!

Hate to say it, but Uruguay are the type of team who could sneak it, even in Suarez' absence.
    A hard working team..but with the loses they have suffered especially the center backs, cant see much hope of them holding out the dutch, they will be very strong in the midfield as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Boulahrouz and De Zeeuw are the obvious replacements for the suspended Dutch players.
    De Zeeuw might be going a bit more forward than De Jong will ever do and maybe Van Persie will finally get the support up front he so desperately is looking for.

• Advertisement

Boulahrouz is awful - should not even be in the squad!

inforfun wrote: »
    Boulahrouz and De Zeeuw are the obvious replacements for the suspended Dutch players.
    De Zeeuw might be going a bit more forward than De Jong will ever do and maybe Van Persie will finally get the support up front he so desperately is looking for.
    To true, van persie has been choked for most of their games, would love to see him get a goal or two, dont think he was 100% fit through the group stages..

Boulahrouz is awful - should not even be in the squad!
    I dunno..he's fairly versatile they can play him at center or as a full back, the man is a monster! just hope he doesn't get sent off..that's if he plays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

I fear for this game in terms of entertainment value. Neither side have been particularly impressive and both have been involved in their fair share of crap matches. Holland are here due to a superior team in Brazil simply blowing up in front of their faces. Uruguay are here mainly due to them having a relatively easy route. This will be tight but I hope Uruguay win.

This guy is certainly lapping up the attention, post Ghana match!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g2n71N1eFOfx9H__UUJSSiiMpvdg

Warper wrote: »
    Holland are here due to a superior team in Brazil simply blowing up in front of their faces.
    Robben produced the bomb!:)

This guy is certainly lapping up the attention, post Ghana match!

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5g2n71N1eFOfx9H__UUJSSiiMpvdg
    Well he had better make the most of it...he'll be packing his bag tomorrow night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Im praying this will be a good game, but Id say it will go to ET and pens. they are too evenly matched IMO

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

The Netherlands will prove far too good for them. 3-1 to the Dutch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Uruguay have been lucky to get this far , I cant see them beating the Dutch in play.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

These two countries previously met in the 1974 World Cup in Germany. That great Dutch team intoduced the world to 'total football' and was probably the best side in history not to win a World Cup.

the 2nd greatest ever world cup side if you ask me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Barr wrote: »
    Uruguay have been lucky to get this far , I cant see them beating the Dutch in play.

I dont know. You can only beat what you have in front of you. They took a point off France in a conservative opening round, they were the only side to beat South Africa, and they took out a decent Mexico side. The result against South Korea was impressive given the resiliance showed. Ghana are a decent team and cannot be sniffed at. The victory was another show of resilaince and unshakability.

The Dutch could also be construed as having an easy route until the Quarter Final. They played the poorest of all the African nations in Cameroon. They met Japan when the boys in Blue sat back and simply waited for the Dutch to score, while Denmark had a poor world cup. Slovakia are alright, however, Korea would have given them a run. It should also be noted that it took a massive slice of luck to enable the Dutch to take advantage of Brazillian Frailties.

I think tomorrow could be close, but I feel the Dutch will take it. But I wouldnt accept that Uruguay have had a more or less difficult route then the Dutch, and I feel they are there on merit, as much as their Dutch counterparts.

Het-Field wrote: »
    I dont know. You can only beat what you have in front of you. They took a point off France in a conservative opening round, they were the only side to beat South Africa, and they took out a decent Mexico side. The result against South Korea was impressive given the resiliance showed. Ghana are a decent team and cannot be sniffed at. The victory was another show of resilaince and unshakability.

The Dutch could also be construed as having an easy route until the Quarter Final. They played the poorest of all the African nations in Cameroon. They met Japan when the boys in Blue sat back and simply waited for the Dutch to score, while Denmark had a poor world cup. Slovakia are alright, however, Korea would have given them a run. It should also be noted that it took a massive slice of luck to enable the Dutch to take advantage of Brazillian Frailties.

I think tomorrow could be close, but I feel the Dutch will take it. But I wouldnt accept that Uruguay have had a more or less difficult route then the Dutch, and I feel they are there on merit, as much as their Dutch counterparts.
    should be a cracker of a game..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

On paper it has to be the Netherlands, comfortably. Like Spain however, there is a history of bottling it.

De Jong will be missed, but Suárez more so.

2-0 Holland is my call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Podge2k7

I fully expect the Dutch to win without being really tested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

inforfun wrote: »
    Mathijsen has been declared fit so the obvious replacement for Van der Wiel is Andre Ooijer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Can see the Dutch winning this without too much hassle. They've not been spectacular, but they've been consistent and are just cruising along nicely and they're now one step from the final. 2-0 or 3-1 to the Dutch.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Mathijsen has been declared fit so the obvious replacement for Van der Wiel is Andre Ooijer.

Van Marwijk has always choosen Boulahrouz at right back if the no1 right back wasnt able to play. See the game against cameroon at this WC
    During Euro2008 he was the 1st choice right back.

Ooijer is too old to do the running forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,526 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Can see a Dutch win more in the vein of SPain the other night. 1 goal difference in normal time with it happeing in second half.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why is Heitinga not playing right-back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

A Dutch-Spanish final would be great. A new winner of the World Cup, instead on the usual suspects, can only be good for the charity known as FIFA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I'm a great admirer of the Total Football revolution, they lost both finals to the home team remember!! And the Dutch came from nowhere to change football, a few years previously they were the also rans of European football. Just shows whats possible with a small nation of footballers with no pedigree, a much different era for football granted.

Anyway, going for Holland tonight 2-1 aet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Come on Holland! Show those South Americans who's boss. :D

robbom.jpg

Ahh big pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Holland to win 2-1, Forlan to score first: 95-1, done!

Crap put Uruguay to win 2-1, wondered why the odds were so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Anyone got any suggestions of where to watch this game in Dublin city centre? Looking for somewhere with good atmosphere and some people there with vested interests, some Dutch people etc....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

mystic86 wrote: »
    Anyone got any suggestions of where to watch this game in Dublin city centre? Looking for somewhere with good atmosphere and some people there with vested interests, some Dutch people etc....

I would have suggested the Paddy Powers near Henry Street , Mr. Ripley

I would have suggested the Paddy Powers near Henry Street , Mr. Ripley

Why would you want to watch a match in a bookies?

Why is Heitinga not playing right-back?

Because he always plays in the centre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Why would you want to watch a match in a bookies?

Looking for somewhere with good atmosphere and some people there with vested interests,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

The Woolshed. Go there if you're looking to watch the game. Not so sure what it'd be like tonight but it's a good spot. Right next door to Cineworld on Parnell Street.

As for the game, I hope the fcuk Uruguay win it for World Cup draw purposes. I wouldn't mind the Netherlands to do it but money is riding on this... Now I just need Germany to win and I can't lose. (Backed Germany to win @ 14's from the start :D)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Uruguay have a chance today but I think van Marwijk will stifle Cavani and Forlán as much as possible.

Sneijder is on his way to the World Cup final and a chance to win a Treble AND the World Cup in the same season. Best season ever for a player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Any one have team news (Injuries/suspensions etc)? I know Suarez, Van Der Wiel & De Jong are suspended. Is Diego Lugano still injured? Any others? Couldn't see any news on it.

Thanks

COME ON THE GAUY!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Any one have team news (Injuries/suspensions etc)? I know Suarez, Van Der Wiel & De Jong are suspended. Is Diego Lugano still injured? Any others? Couldn't see any news on it.

Thanks

COME ON THE GAUY!

Thankfully, Diego Lugano will play. What a terrific defender he is too. He could be crucial.

Because he always plays in the centre?

Not always, he used be the regular starting right back for Holland. I was just reading an article where he says he prefers the centre and that's why he moved to Everton, but it shouldn't be his decision really.

I think I heard Sneijder was retrospectively awarded the first goal against Brazil, putting him on 4. Golden boot and best player award for him to go with the World Cup trophy and the club treble? :D

Not always, he used be the regular starting right back for Holland. I was just reading an article where he says he prefers the centre and that's why he moved to Everton, but it shouldn't be his decision really.

I think I heard Sneijder was retrospectively awarded the first goal against Brazil, putting him on 4. Golden boot and best player award for him to go with the World Cup trophy and the club treble? :D

Yea Sneijder is some player. If only he had gone to United last season for the 12 or 15million or what ever it was. What a bargain he was for Inter! Love the guy. One of the main reasons I like Holland. Still going to cheer for the underdogs tonight though.

T-b0n3 wrote: »
    Yea Sneijder is some player. If only he had gone to United last season for the 12 or 15million or what ever it was. What a bargain he was for Inter! Love the guy. One of the main reasons I like Holland. Still going to cheer for the underdogs tonight though.

I've always liked him because he's the spitting image of my brother (and I alays thought he was the better player than Van Der Vaart when VDV was the golden boy of Dutch football).

I'm a great admirer of the Total Football revolution, they lost both finals to the home team remember!! And the Dutch came from nowhere to change football, a few years previously they were the also rans of European football. Just shows whats possible with a small nation of footballers with no pedigree, a much different era for football granted.

Anyway, going for Holland tonight 2-1 aet.

Wouldnt say the Dutch came from nowhere.
    Look up the EC1 (now CL) winners from 70 till 74.

There is also this misunderstanding that Holland is a small nation of footballers.
    Only thing small is the size of the country but the Dutch FA has 1 million active members. Not many countries have more than that.

Alex Ferguson tips the dutch to go all the way..their 15/8 to get to the final. My other half is dutch..things are tense here ahead of the game! (thank god eastenders isnt on tonight) I stand corrected, looks like the portable for me:(

ultain wrote: »
    Alex Ferguson tips the dutch to go all the way..their 15/8 to get to the final. My other half is dutch..things are tense here ahead of the game! (thank god eastenders isnt on tonight)

They are 4/11 on Betfair to get to the final. That price is massive assume its a mistake?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

could be an x-rated game, the dutch have been a wee bit tasty so far and uruguay being latins will not back off lightly

• Advertisement
Advertisement