Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Uruguay vs Netherlands, WC Semi Final, Tuesday July 6th, RTE & ITV

123457»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

backed holland ft draw ht....with 3 to go got 375/1 on the draw so i threw 50 cent on it! lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Sneijder doesn't deserve the golden boot, two at least have been deflections

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

I know who i'll be supporting in the final. Not Holland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Have to say Perez for Uruguay has impressed me throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Boring, scrappy game.

At least the Uruguayans have the excuse of making the most of limited resources. Holland blow so hot and cold and are awful dirty. I really hope they get hammered in the final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Holland are so dirty and ugly to watch. Spain or Germany to hammer them please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Holland look good, but actually look and are dodgy at the back, keeper especially, compared to Germany and Spain who just look dodgy but still have yet to show it.

Well done to Holland, deserve to be in the final with their amazing run of victories. Going to be an interesting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭jaykay74

Don't get all the holland hate bar van Bommel of course. I've enjoyed watching them.

I'd say Didi's head is wrecked.

Dunphy is right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Hard luck Uruguay.... know it is a bit of a mute point, but if Suarez was there, I think they could have gone ahead tonight!

people overeacting about this Holland team, along with the RTE heads right now.

It may not be Rinus Michels like stuff out there, but do you want Greece 2004, or even Italy 2006 back?

transylman wrote: »
    I know who i'll be supporting in the final. Not Holland.

Who are they?

Anything to Nots Forest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Southgate reckons the Dutch are well dodgy at the back.

redout wrote: »
    Southgate reckons the Dutch are well dodgy at the back.

But can they take penalties?

Pro. F wrote: »
    Dunphy is right

He's a clown though. He argued with Ronnie Whelan that Hernandez was offside even though he was inline with Gallas' foot in the Mexico France game. Claiming the foot was nothing got to do with it and its the full body. But when Van Persie was offside today (which he was) he was all over it. "Rough decision" bla bla bla, great tv and entertainment....but he just doesnt know what he thinks half the time

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Van Bommel has spent an entire pretty successful career tackling his way through people...it's not just now.

Delighted Uruguay are out. Netherlands were there for the taking at 1-1 and all they could muster was a couple of Forlan long shots. Again always much more threatening when behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

RTE competition...
    RTÉ Sport are giving you the chance to win a dream holiday for you and a friend to the home of your favourite 2010 FIFA World Cup team!

North Korea here we come!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Trilla wrote: »
    He's a clown though. He argued with Ronnie Whelan that Hernandez was offside even though he was inline with Gallas' foot in the Mexico France game. Claiming the foot was nothing got to do with it and its the full body. But when Van Persie was offside today (which he was) he was all over it. "Rough decision" bla bla bla, great tv and entertainment....but he just doesnt know what he thinks half the time

Hernandez was offside and it was with Abidal. Any part of your body that can play the ball is an offside call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

RTE competition...

North Korea here we come!

Thank God! If you went to England you'd have to bow to every statue of Bobby Moore you see!

Dunphy does talk a lot of nonsense but he was right about this offside and, iirc, the Hernandez one too. You're offside if any part of your body that you can play the ball with is ahead of the defender.

Aside from the offside, I more meant that he's right on his bigger point about FIFA harming football with their ineptitude.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

But the full body is how you judge...any part of the body that you can score a goal with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

CorkMan wrote: »
    Thank God! If you went to England you'd have to bow to every statue of Bobby Moore you see!

as opposed to bowing to statues of the GREAT LEADER all over pyongang

Ush1 wrote: »
    Hernandez was offside and it was with Abidal. Any part of your body that can play the ball is an offside call.

Incorrect... on both counts. He was onside. He was inline with the players foot. I'm not going to dwell on this cas its got very little to do with tonight

GALLAS' foot BOOOM

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/6007123/

http://www.101greatgoals.com/rtes-pundits-dunphy-whelan-fail-to-understand-the-offside-rule-javier-hernandez-goal-vs-france/57498/
    Manchester United fans will have been jumping for joy on Thursday night after watching Javier Hernandez come off the bench for Mexico and turn the match for El Tri with a superb goal in the 64th minutes.

Playing on the shoulder of William Gallas, Chicharito timed his run to perfection to latched onto Cuauhtemoc Blanco’s superb ball-over-the-top before rounding keeper Hugo Lloris to open the scoring. (Watch the goal here.)

Despite video evidence showing that Hernandez was bang-smack level with Gallas when the pass was played, Irish pundits Eamonn Dunphy and Ronnie Whelan struggled to decide whether the goal was offside or not during their post-match analysis on RTE. It was a sad turn of events for the usually lazer-sharp talking-heads, as they showed themselves to have trouble with understanding the offside rule.

Who cares? Nearly everyone knew France were not gonna win on that night, offside goal or not!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Could someone please clear this up -

Schneider's shot was deflected by a Uruguayan into Van Persie's path - does this not play him on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Could someone please clear this up -

Schneider's shot was deflected by a Uruguayan into Van Persie's path - does this not play him on?

Nope. Sneiders shot first goes direction Van Persie and only then gets the touch from the defender. Moment of Sneider hitting the ball is what counts. whatever happens after that doesnt matter.
    Only a pass from a defender wouldnt make it off side

Incorrect... on both counts. He was onside. He was inline with the players foot. I'm not going to dwell on this cas its got very little to do with tonight

GALLAS' foot BOOOM

http://www.101greatgoals.com/rtes-pundits-dunphy-whelan-fail-to-understand-the-offside-rule-javier-hernandez-goal-vs-france/57498/

To me, looking at that picture his head is ahead of Gales' foot. Although it is hard to tell.

From what I remember (I can't watch the video now)it was Eamo who knew how the rule worked while Whelan, as usual, was completely clueless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

firstly, well done Holland.

now, i'm about to watch the highlights, but it doesn't surprise me to read that Holland have been dirty bastards.

van Bommel in particular. i cannot stand him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Well played Holland, they deserved the win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

SlickRic wrote: »
    firstly, well done Holland.

now, i'm about to watch the highlights, but it doesn't surprise me to read that Holland have been dirty bastards.

van Bommel in particular. i cannot stand him.

the thing about van bommel is he doesn't look particularly hard, but my word he certainly plays hard

he's a liability to holland he could get red carded in the final

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

fryup wrote: »
    the thing about van bommel is he doesn't look particularly hard, but my word he certainly plays hard

he's a liability to holland he could get red carded in the final

As much as I hate him, he is certainly not a liability, he performs a very important role for his team, and seems to have a Richie McCaw-like ability to get away with breaking the rules.

carlop wrote: »
    As much as I hate him, he is certainly not a liability, he performs a very important role for his team, and seems to have a Richie McCaw-like ability to get away with breaking the rules.

Anybody who throws around so many reckless challenges is a liability.

He performs in an important role but he does a poor job of it and he's been massively riding his luck this tournament. Himself and de Jong, the pair of them are the same. They also both give the ball away cheaply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

PHB wrote: »
    Holland look good, but actually look and are dodgy at the back, keeper especially, compared to Germany and Spain who just look dodgy but still have yet to show it.

Well done to Holland, deserve to be in the final with their amazing run of victories. Going to be an interesting one.

I agree, i've enjoyed Holland. The move tonight where Robben tried to chip the keeper late on was breathtaking.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Happy to see Holland win but it's hard to foresee them putting up much resistance against either Germany or Spain. Defensively they're shaky and going forward they are extremely disjointed. They played better once they had van der Vaart on linking things together nicely but he'll probably return to the bench to accommodate De Jong. Sneijder's goals have masked some very unimpressive performances and Robben is just so greedy.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Sneijder doesn't deserve the golden boot, two at least have been deflections

I don't reckon defelcted shots are any less worthy of a golden boot than tap-ins from half a yard. Considering the number of passes and the rest of his contributions he would be a worthy winner IMO.

I wonder if Holland's tendency to tune out in the final minutes will come back to haunt them in the final. Injury time goals against Slovakia and Uruguay seem harmless now but this and their complete inability to finish off moves against Brazil and now Urugauy late on could be fatal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

GALLAS' foot BOOOM

No I'm not wrong.
    You can see quite clearly the number 3 on the back of the players shirt, it's Eric Abidal.

Here's a HD clip if you still can't make him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyQ-3CyMU8

Second, he is offside. His head is in an offside position. That camera angle is also misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Felt sorry for Forlan last night. He's has some tournament, Proved he truly is world class, all this after a great season with Athleti. I think the injuries & suspensions cost Uruguay. Id worry for Holland as there defense & goalkeeper can be got at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,843 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Holland in a WC final who would have expected this from the start :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Holland in a WC final who would have expected this from the start :eek:

Someone's feeling rather smug now, I'd say.
    image-102179-panoV9-lvaf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Prufrock

I feel for Uruguay. Hollands first goal came right after a "red card" challenge from Van Bommel. Cracking strike though. There is an arguement for offside about the second dutch goal aswell.

Van Bommel should have been sent off against Brazil and should have been sent off against Uruguay. His habbit of going over the top of the ball in the WC, CL and the german league is dangerous, nasty and theres no place for it in football. Also Boulahrouz had a mad 5 minutes where he dove into tackles. Already on a yellow he decided to go to ground which could have lead to another yellow. Very lucky boy.

The manager for Uruguay did what most managers couldn't do this year. He developed a formation that got the most out of his best player, Forlan. Hes had a great WC.

I think its a shame that a great player like Forlan will never play in a WC final now and a player like Van Bommel will. Thats not to take anything away from the dutch. They've done what they had to do and made it to the final. Well done and good luck to them.

• Advertisement

Ush1 wrote: »
    No I'm not wrong.
    You can see quite clearly the number 3 on the back of the players shirt, it's Eric Abidal.

Here's a HD clip if you still can't make him out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDyQ-3CyMU8

Second, he is offside. His head is in an offside position. That camera angle is also misleading.

Good catch on the Abidal. I and the website wrong. It strengthens my point about how clueless Dunphy can be!

I still think he's onside as that line is parralel with the midfield line, and his foot is ahead of his head and in line with Gallas I mean Abidals foot :). Thats my last input on the matter...dont want to clog this thread with it!

Advertisement