Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Im amazing

• 03-07-2010 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Ive noticed recently in this forum people boast about their amazing feats of maintaining/finishing with an average speed of blah blah! Ive cometed at national level in another sport and nobody there even heard of boards which was contradictary to the performances been boasted about!

Is this exclusive to cycling and as a result of the cycle computers etc?

For example, have a look at the w200 website forum and the number of people mentioning times/performances is very small compared to the athlethes here.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

My mum says I'm great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

She tells me that also, im not so sure though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Limestone1

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Ive noticed recently in this forum people boast about their amazing feats of maintaining/finishing with an average speed of blah blah! Ive cometed at national level in another sport and nobody there even heard of boards which was contradictary to the performances been boasted about!

How does one comet ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,668 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Anyone who has enough time to post 2000 + times really should get out training more ;)

But surprised they haven't heard of boards if they frequent d'internet with any regularity.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I can't even understand your post OP. What are you trying to say?

What's an amazing average speed to you over, say, a 100km run around wicklow? Blah blah doesn't really mean much to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

troll-01.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I guess the point is that the performance is measurable and some people compound their performance on a internet forum.

This does not happen to the same extent with other sports and other forums! WW200 website has a considerable amount of posts none of which mention their amazing feats in terms of times!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Is this exclusive to cycling and as a result of the cycle computers etc?

For example, have a look at the w200 website forum and the number of people mentioning times/performances is very small compared to the athlethes here.
    surely you can say that about any sport, i play sport whose online presence would be unknown to anyone not playing it. does that make it less legitimate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

In the hollywood remake of my climb to moll's gap earlier today, they're going to have joe esposito's 'you're the best' in the background. I'm pretty sure a woman fainted when i crested the summit. Tamed it, i did. Tamed. It.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Trollface.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

'Inferiority complex' much?? :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

Ive noticed recently in this forum people [in my view] boast:confused: about their amazing feats of maintaining/finishing with an average speed of blah blah!

FYP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

The op obviously never visits the athletics forum. There's lots of excellent athletes over there and a number of threads in the events section with results and race reports posted, no one would say it's boasting, why would here be any different ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

personally i all for posters stating what they have done ,training logs , ryans blog from the ras , marmotte etc .

also if you say something on a forum about your capabilities you better be able to back it up on the road or what ever .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Arthur, the thing you fail to realise here is that this is not a club site or an event site, many people start posting here because they want to take up cycling for health reasons, losing weight, hobby or what not. Many end up becoming regular posters and track their advancement from doing their first 10km spin to entering and completing a sportive or touring or racing.

The 'blah blah' posts you are posting about are not people saying 'I cycle at 25kmph I'm better than you' its people saying 'I can now cycle at 25kmph, I'm better than I was'. This is mirrors what happens in most forums of similar nature, such as the ART, fitness and zombie survival forums.
    This forum could be well described as an ever changing group of people in eternal conversation rather than a competitive platform. Many posters like myself cycle for pleasure and use this forum for every thing from basic questions like 'whats the difference between a full sus mtb and a carbon frame road bike' to more complex issues such as 'why do people look at me funny when I wear black tennis socks while cycling in my GAA jersey':D

What we try not to do is start threads with passive aggressive posts thus raising the ire of forum members leading to troll cartoons being shot about (that job is already filled by existing posters who will remain nameless in this post). If you are an accomplished cyclist with knowledge and experience why not stick around and help out people who seek knowledge, thus fulfilling the basic purpose of the forum.

I hope this some how answers your question.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Point taken, but I am better than you.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

blorg wrote: »
    And I am better than blorg, so I guess I'm better than the other guy too.

DFD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

And I am better than blorg, so I guess I'm better than the other guy too.

DFD.

It's talk like this that leads to races between Howth and Bray...

CheGuedara wrote: »
    It's talk like this that leads to races between Howth and Bray...

Are you saying that I'm slow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭CheGuedara

Raam wrote: »

Me, no, but looks like DFD's* throwing down the gauntlet left, right and center these days :D

*Doesn'tFearDuelling

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Raam wrote: »

You're amazing; the sort of cyclist who grabs every good opportunity to get out on the bike, whether racing for glory or just enjoying being out in the fresh air. Certainly not the sort to sit inside on a lovely summers day watching an insignificant stage on TV and arguing on the internet whilst your wife is out competing in an actual cycle race.

Oh wait...

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bbosco

Limestone1 wrote: »
    How does one comet ?

Not sure, but he's certainly blazing a trail on here.

Lumen wrote: »
    You're amazing; the sort of cyclist who grabs every good opportunity to get out on the bike, whether racing for glory or just enjoying being out in the fresh air. Certainly not the sort to sit inside on a lovely summers day watching an insignificant stage on TV and arguing on the internet whilst your wife is out competing in an actual cycle race.

Oh wait...

I'll have you know I was out for 90 minutes and just got back. So there. Apart from that, yeah, it's all true.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

CheGuedara wrote: »
    Me, no, but looks like DFD's* throwing down the gauntlet left, right and center these days :D

*Doesn'tFearDuelling

I'm up for a challenge. Howth to Bray suits me, though it would have to be a challenge that at least gives me a chance. Something that suits my particular man/ machine abilities. I'm not one of those half carbon, half Garmin racing whippets! ;)

DFD.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

The bulge in my shorts is defiantly bigger than yours. ;)

As they would say, you mail bag is a lot smaller than my male bag :)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,697 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

blorg wrote: »
    I have little doubt you are much better than Arthur.

I believe his Minder, however, could have you for breakfast:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

I'm just interested to see one example of where someone was boasting about their time in anything other than a very tongue in cheek manner... mostly it's just stating how someone did in a race/event, which is helpful for others to compare themselves against/see the kind of standard that other boardsies are doing (and mostly it's people that you know in real life, not a faceless internet being)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Looks like the OP has taken his complex elsewhere :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I did the W200 in eleven seconds. I fooookin floored it.
    Thank you, this is Jimmy Moore saying that ain't no sock in my crotch!

• Advertisement
Advertisement