Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBQ Themed Cake

Options
  • 03-07-2010 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Just started making and decorating themed cakes, this is the 6th cake i've done so far. Would love to get into it professionally. My friend was delighted with the cake, she loves to BBQ! especially with all this good weather we've been having. Just thought i'd post this up to see what people think. I'm unsure as to how much i should be charging for cakes. These would have a chocolate biscuit cake as a base and then there's the work that goes into decorating it. I've been trying to keep the ingredients cost down without comprominising on the flavour and then trying to source cheaper cake boards and icings on line. Any ideas how much i should charge? The cake is a 10" cake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

Wow that is seriously detailed, must have taken you ages to make. Have a look at this site - cakesonline.ie they charge about 45 for plain cakes of a similar size including delivery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Well you have to work out how much the ingredients and ESB etc cost you to make the cake, then how much time it takes you to make/decorate the cake, any delivery costs if you deliver them (petrol etc), you have to decide how much you consider your time to worth, versus how much you think people would be willing to pay.

Have a look around online and see what other people are charging for similar cakes.

Edit: Not trying to sound like a smartass @forest fruits link but those cakes are just sheets of cake iced very quickly, novelty cakes take a lot longer to shape and do the details, go into the I Like Cake thread and have a look at some. So when working out your pricing don't compare your novelty cakes to standard shaped cakes that just have writing on etc, compare with cakes similar to the style you do, because that BBQ cake is fantastic so don't undersell yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

That's so sweet.

Is the food all modelling icing (or whatever it's called) or are they small cakes covered in icing?

The flames and coals are so cute too, you should def. keep going with it.

Small 8 to 10 inch decorated cakes start around the 35 euro mark, but as said all depends on the size, what ingredients you use and how much time it takes etc.

Supermarket bought iced cakes look great esp. for kids parties etc. but they tates absolutley foul, pure sugar and no flavour. They aren't all that cheap either.

As said don't undersell yourself, wish I had an arty eye but am useless at decorating cakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sandy_c

The cake is chocolate biscuit cake covered in marzipan and fondant icing. The coals are made from marshmallows painted with watered down black icing colouring paste. The food i made from coloured fondant icing too. The only thing not edible is the rack that the food is on, wood skewers covered with tin foil. I don't think the rack made from fondant would have supported the food i put on it.

Advertisement