Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadeth or Metallica?

Options
  • 04-07-2010 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

It's been a fair few years since this was last discussed, and both have had new albums and a few visits to our fair isle.

Where do you fall? doesn't need a major explanation...

I'd have to say Megadeth myself after Metallica's last few recordings

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Here we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Just because it's called The Big 4 of Thrash doesn't mean that it stops after that you know...

And it's been a "fair few years" because there isn't really any meaningful outcome to this type of debate. Whereas a topic like "Who is the best x metal band?" or "Why shouldn't X support Y?" are instances where direct comparison between a number of bands actually serves a useful purposes, pigeon-holing it to two bands just drags the fanboys and people who can't accept another's opinion into the fray to produce one of the ugliest scenes in rock and metal.

And anyway we all know that St. Anger is the pinnacle of Thrash Metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beave

TThe meaningful outcome is to feed my personal curiosity, nothing more, nothing less.
    Just because it's called The Big 4 of Thrash doesn't mean that it stops after that you know...

And it's been a "fair few years" because there isn't really any meaningful outcome to this type of debate. Whereas a topic like "Who is the best x metal band?" or "Why shouldn't X support Y?" are instances where direct comparison between a number of bands actually serves a useful purposes, pigeon-holing it to two bands just drags the fanboys and people who can't accept another's opinion into the fray to produce one of the ugliest scenes in rock and metal.

And anyway we all know that St. Anger is the pinnacle of Thrash Metal.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Quite honestly, neither. Just not a fan of their music.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Metallica for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Elliemental

Metallica for me, personally. Dave Mustaine's voice sets my teeth on edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Lol for me!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭Flojo

Metallica! :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

lord lucan wrote: »
    Lol for me!:pac:
    It's like they knew what we were talking about, bit too perfect for me...

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Both for me. Meh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Whoah, think I've stumbled apon the comments section of a youtube Megadeth video. Am I not allowed to like both of them? To me they have different styles and would like each of them for different reasons, so I'm not gonna fuel this old argument by choosing one over the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Beave wrote: »
    It's been a fair few years since this was last discussed, and both have had new albums and a few visits to our fair isle.

Where do you fall? doesn't need a major explanation...
    I'd have to say Megadeth myself after Metallica's last few recordings
    really?

Epic forum search fail tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

Whoah, think I've stumbled apon the comments section of a youtube Megadeth video. Am I not allowed to like both of them? To me they have different styles and would like each of them for different reasons, so I'm not gonna fuel this old argument by choosing one over the other.

Yeah I dont see why anyone cant like them both, I just prefer Metallica a bit more.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, I just wondered which one's music you might prefer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

two ****in AWESOME bands FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

I think Metallica have personally had the better musical output but that doesn't make Megadeth a band you should dismiss.

It's like saying that Elton John has had a great career playing the piano and writing Pop songs so Billy Joel shouldn't be listened to because we have Elton John.

Megadeth is a fantastic band, so is Metallica, and they're both excellent bands live and in studio.

Metallica has a crap drummer but Megadeth has a problem keeping hold of members. Dave Mustaine is a far better guitarist then Kirk Hammett but Shawn Drover is a better drummer then Lars Ulrich and David Ellefson is a better bassist then Rob T.

There is no way to win this argument because the band's history has been so interlocked it's pointless in my opinion.

I think Metallica have personally had the better musical output but that doesn't make Megadeth a band you should dismiss.

It's like saying that Elton John has had a great career playing the piano and writing Pop songs so Billy Joel shouldn't be listened to because we have Elton John.

Megadeth is a fantastic band, so is Metallica, and they're both excellent bands live and in studio.

Metallica has a crap drummer but Megadeth has a problem keeping hold of members. Dave Mustaine is a far better guitarist then Kirk Hammett but Shawn Drover is a better drummer then Lars Ulrich and David Ellefson is a better bassist then Rob T.

There is no way to win this argument because the band's history has been so interlocked it's pointless in my opinion.

Yet you felt the need to comment, I was 100% with your point right up the Ellefson and Rob T. But it's all a matter of personal taste/opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Beave wrote: »
    It's been a fair few years since this was last discussed
    No it hasn't been and these kind of threads never go anywhere. You're never going to convince Metallica fans that Megadeth are the better band and vice versa. I'm closing this to avert the impending bickering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement