Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish in the media for the wrong reasons AGAIN

Options
  • 04-07-2010 2:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭

Some RSA! I'm guessing this happened in the east :rolleyes:

From here: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/25-schooners-25-vodkas-x2026-and-one-rookie-error-20100703-zuzg.html
    SMH wrote:
    25 schooners, 25 vodkas … and one rookie error
    LES KENNEDY
    July 4, 2010

TWO detectives had to call for urgent assistance when two drunk Irish tourists confronted them in Sydney.

Among the officers who rushed to the scene from a nearby general duties squad room last weekend was a probationary constable fresh from the police academy who, in his haste to help, reversed a police truck into the front of his commander's car.

One of the detectives eventually secured the tourists by using his extendable baton.

Police alleged the main assailant later told them in an interview that he had consumed 25 schooners of beer and 25 shots of vodka over 10 hours. Both men, who have applied for permanent residency status in Australia, were charged with assaulting police and resisting arrest.

They will appear in court at a later date.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Pr1cks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

Next stamp on their passports will be probably be Deported.

Two sides to every story however...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Mr Yellow wrote: »
    Two sides to every story however...

Yeh, two detectives doing their job and and two drunken tools who "had consumed 25 schooners of beer and 25 shots of vodka over 10 hours."

hold on, sounds fairly one sided, they are D!ckheads, simple as that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

D!ckheads alright or just damn stupid, I wonder if they post on these boards.

I suppose sometimes we all do stupid things when we had too much to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What happened? Why did they start the fight?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

so what they do wrong? just being drunk?!! sounds like the police made a big deal out of what should have been a pretty minor incident going from what was reported anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

adamski8 wrote: »
    so what they do wrong? just being drunk?!!

No, they confronted police. Use your school teaching to read the words in the article. Good man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

adamski8 wrote: »
    so what they do wrong? just being drunk?!! sounds like the police made a big deal out of what should have been a pretty minor incident going from what was reported anyway!

"were charged with assaulting police and resisting arrest"

we can only go with what it says ... bit if they were charged with assault then they did a lot more than being drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

From here: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/25-schooners-25-vodkas-x2026-and-one-rookie-error-20100703-zuzg.html

LOL sounds like a scene from Police Academy!! I'd be more worried about the the damage to the reputation of Australia's finest by articles like this, than by that to Ireland by two drunken fools (and everyone knows that Oz and NZ are Pioneer nations after all!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

Big Deal, 1 story in the press involving drunk Irish tourists, hardly even noticeable amongst the rest of the stories of drunkenness, drugs, Lap top theft, dancing on tables naked, drunk driving, king hits, rape, glassings, nightclub violence and carnage ..................and thats just the Professional Sportsmen here ! :pac:

Seriously have you ever seen so much of this behaviour before from preofessional athletes before you got here !? Its crazy !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

You do realise in the UK or ireland the actions of 2 drunk men would not be news. Despite the nationality of the men.

Still does not excuse their actions they are so going home.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

Big Deal, 1 story in the press involving drunk Irish tourists, hardly even noticeable amongst the rest of the stories of drunkenness, drugs, Lap top theft, dancing on tables naked, drunk driving, king hits, rape, glassings, nightclub violence and carnage ..................and thats just the Professional Sportsmen here ! :pac:

What king did they hit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

who have applied for permanent residency status in Australia....

LOL, good luck to that!! See you later bozzo's..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Zambia232 wrote: »
    You do realise in the UK or ireland the actions of 2 drunk men would not be news. Despite the nationality of the men.

Still does not excuse their actions they are so going home.

Actually I got the impression that it's more news because of the newbie reversing into the boss's car...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Big Deal, 1 story in the press involving drunk Irish tourists, hardly even noticeable amongst the rest of the stories of drunkenness, drugs, Lap top theft, dancing on tables naked, drunk driving, king hits, rape, glassings, nightclub violence and carnage ..................and thats just the Professional Sportsmen here !

Well without trying to get smart or wind anyone up it could turn into a big deal quite easily, all it would take is for that absolute joke of a tabloid media in oz (ie. channels 7,9 and 10) to find yet another hobby horse to ride into the ground, like they have in the past with single mothers, welfare spongers, the muslim faith, minority groups, truck drivers, bankers, indian taxi drivers and over paid sportsmen the list really is endless.

I can envisage it now Karl Sthepanovic with his sleeves rolled up and a constipated head on him with his pretend serious voice on stating the list of idiocy ranging from all the WHV scammers, the manly ferry swimmers, that boof headed twat who got flogged up at the end of the rugby and now these two prize spanners and you could rest assured that they would find any other incident involving anyone with an irish passport innocent party/victim or not and put a negative slant on it and tar every single irishman with the same brush, they (the tabloid hacks) dont care if they ruin lives in the process, any thing for a 3 minute story...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Mr Yellow

The Aussie wrote: »
    Yeh, two detectives doing their job and and two drunken tools who "had consumed 25 schooners of beer and 25 shots of vodka over 10 hours."

hold on, sounds fairly one sided, they are D!ckheads, simple as that...

One should never jump to conclusions friend. I gave a few years in Oz, & i crossed dcikheads in all shapes & forms, both drunken Irish louts & over aggresive cops who thought they were the be all & end all. I do agree that self-confessing 25 schooner drinking people are fcuking gombeens that ruin the Irish rep worldwide!

Never take what the papers say at face value!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

This story doesnt make sense. If somebody had 25 beers and 25 shots of Vodka they wouldnt be able to remember half of them and so wouldnt be able to keep count.

Also with that amount of alcohol you'd probably pass out pretty quickly (best case scenario).

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭Coileach dearg

04072511 wrote: »
    This story doesnt make sense. If somebody had 25 beers and 25 shots of Vodka they wouldnt be able to remember half of them and so wouldnt be able to keep count.

Also with that amount of alcohol you'd probably pass out pretty quickly (best case scenario).

Unfortunately not. Also 25 schooners @ $5.50 = $137.50. 25 Vodkas @ $6.00 = $150. Total $287.50 * 2 = $575 !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭barochoc

No surprises here, just sounds like an average night in Dublin.

Most people here seem to drink to get wasted, not drink & enjoy themselves!

The Ozzies are unreal for drinking & violence though. One of the roughest places for that kind of carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

jank wrote: »
    LOL, good luck to that!! See you later bozzo's..

Its Australia ffs. Where they hunt down people who told fibs on their 2nd year WHV appklication but will grant residency to skilled people who have served less than one year in prison at some point in their lives. To put it in perspective, the DIAC regards an unskilled lad who lied on his visa as being of lower standard than a qualified tradie who served a few months for glassing someone in a bar. It beggars belief.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its Australia ffs. Where they hunt down people who told fibs on their 2nd year WHV application but will grant residency to skilled people who have served less than one year in prison at some point in their lives. To put it in perspective, the DIAC regards an unskilled lad who lied on his visa as being of lower standard than a qualified tradie who served a few months for glassing someone in a bar. It beggars belief.

AFAIK it is totally up to the DIAC to grant you PR if you have a previous conviction and the nature of the conviction is more important. If this story is true and these 2 people get prosecuted for attacking a police officer than it is fair to say that they will NOT be granted PR or should I say their PR application will be suspended indefinitely pending further investigation....

By the way using the word "hunted". I call it doing their job.

Also WHV is not equal to PR to say it is is idiotic folly.
    WHV can be granted in hours, PR is bascily citizenship without the passport. Apples and pineapples...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Its Australia ffs. Where they hunt down people who told fibs on their 2nd year WHV appklication but will grant residency to skilled people who have served less than one year in prison at some point in their lives. To put it in perspective, the DIAC regards an unskilled lad who lied on his visa as being of lower standard than a qualified tradie who served a few months for glassing someone in a bar. It beggars belief.

wanna explain that piece?
    Where did you get that from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

hussey wrote: »
    wanna explain that piece?
    Where did you get that from?

I know for a fact that at least in the case of student visas the DIAC doesnt even liase with its own police services (at least not in every state).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

SMH wrote:
    TWO detectives had to call for urgent assistance when two drunk Irish tourists confronted them in Sydney....One of the detectives eventually secured the tourists by using his extendable baton.

Two drunk fellas pick a fight with 2 policemen and get "secured" with batons...... sounds to me like there's a chapter missing from the story.

1) To Qualify for 2nd WHV you are required to do 3 months regional work.

2) To Qualify for PR with a Criminal record you must not serve more than 1 years of a custodial sentence.

DIAC are not viewing any lower standard .....they have rules and criteria its not difficult to understand.

Two drunk fellas pick a fight with 2 policemen and get "secured" with batons...... sounds to me like there's a chapter missing from the story.

Yeah 2 drunk fellas pick a fight with 2 detectives (probably in plain clothes)... those bozo's probably didn't realise what was going on until they were in the Paddy wagon.

Similar thing happened with my mate Chris a few years ago, 2 Irish fella's had a go at him in the Mercantile one weekend .... and then turned up the next week to start work with his gang. They really didn't understand why they wouldn't be starting work that day or why they wouldn't be starting work with any Irish outfit in Sydney full stop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

Arrested for Resisting Arrest:confused::confused:

And I wouldnt read too much into Assaulted an Officer, probably scratched their batons off their thick skulls

they Tried this Sh1t on with me one night a few years ago in Brisbane, had to go to court to get them to Feck off.

apparently lots of people just wear whatever fines they dish out and dont question them.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

I happen to know of a case of an Irish guy who got in a bit of a brawl one weekend and when the two police officers arrived... well they weren't exactly using minimal force to stop the brawl. One of them was so over the top that the Irish guy brought it to court and on the "hush hush" he's now in the process of being granted citizenship if he'll drop his case.

He probably wouldn't have stood a chance except the cops partner testified in favour of the Irish guy.

All that said, you'd imagine thats an exception to the rule and in the majority of cases, teh police are just trying to do their job.

I'd be very cynical in the case where anybody can remember having "x" amount of schooners and vodkas once they've passed around ten or twelve. Sounds like two mouthpieces getting just deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I happen to know of a case of an Irish guy who got in a bit of a brawl one weekend and when the two police officers arrived... well they weren't exactly using minimal force to stop the brawl. One of them was so over the top that the Irish guy brought it to court and on the "hush hush" he's now in the process of being granted citizenship if he'll drop his case.

He probably wouldn't have stood a chance except the cops partner testified in favour of the Irish guy.

All that said, you'd imagine thats an exception to the rule and in the majority of cases, teh police are just trying to do their job.

I'd be very cynical in the case where anybody can remember having "x" amount of schooners and vodkas once they've passed around ten or twelve. Sounds like two mouthpieces getting just deserves.

Was this in Canberra and federal coppers? Because I cant see the state police being able to make such a deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Was this in Canberra and federal coppers? Because I cant see the state police being able to make such a deal.

No twas in Sydney and I don't know if they were federal or state police. But it happened.

Advertisement