Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland in the U.S.

Options
  • 04-07-2010 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Pro-Irish sentiment is so strong in the U.S., I love Ireland, even though I've never been there. I'm Scots-Irish, ethnically, and Catholic. Since I was a child, I always understood Ireland is awsome. Wow. Just wanted to say that.:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

LOL :D

And you have a great day too -your eminence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭PopeUrbanII

CDfm wrote: »
    LOL :D

And you have a great day too -your eminence.

I will, wishing I could visit Ireland.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Lots of Irish people love America too. You should come, and bring your money! We need it! :D

I will, wishing I could visit Ireland.:)

well seing that you are here -we are looking for irish cowboy stuff - quirky and offbeat.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055945918

hereos, villians and chorus girls accepted but they have to be irish :cool:

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Lots of Irish people love America too. You should come, and bring your money! We need it! :D

and oil -its too expensive here - you guys have so much of it you pump it straight into the sea. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭jordan..

you come here and il go to texas. done! pack your bags! always wanted to be a jock :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... I'm Scots-Irish, ethnically, and Catholic. ...
    Hi there, welcome along.

Scots-Irish a neat short-hand way of saying "I'm Irish but my ancestors lived on two different islands".

An early Irish tribe, the Scotii, colonised parts of what we call Scotland today, generously bestowing :
    • their country its name,
    • their family / clan names, (McThis and MacThat)
    • their dress (kilts and capes)
    • their music (the pipes)
    • their dances (reels and jigs)
    • their native language (Irish / Gaelic, for some strange reason pronounced "Gallic" in Scotland, which means French everywhere else)
    • their favourite tipple, (whiskey, which for some inexplicable reason they still can't spell)
    • their native sport (called shinty in Scotland or hurling in Ireland, a game like field hockey, but with more excitement and "liathróidí"[Irish word, "cojones" in Spanish]).
    Some centuries later when a surfeit of lovely clothing, alcoholic drink, repartee, music, dancing and outdoor sport was tipping the Scots over the edge into a lifestyle that was rather too hedonistic, we sent St Columbanus to give them Christianity and save their souls.

In between times, as life on our little island got boring we ventured west (one of our High Kings coined the phrase, "Go west young man, go west") and established another colony to the north-northwest of Texas. This colony, Nova Scotia or New Ireland, was the original staging post for our North American invasion.

Some of the lads, who were at a loose end, wandered south and gave the Texans a hand kicking the El Presidente Santa Anna's troops back into Mexico. Two of these were also Scots-Irish, or more accurately Irish-Irish, and are held in high esteem in Texas since. These two are Jim Bowie and Bill Travis (originally MacTavish an Irish-Irish name). Bowie's family made a lengthy transit stop around what is now called Kentucky, which like Ireland is renowned for breeding, raising, riding and training thoroughbred race-horses.

The Alamo was later documented in detail by the famous Irish film-maker, Walter Disney and later again in a film starring John Wayne, who was looking for Maureen O'Hara's home phone-number when he got caught up in the whole schemozzle. Ms. O'Hara was at that time a Catholic nursing-missionary in Northern Mexico, now called Texas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Pro-Irish sentiment is so strong in the U.S., I love Ireland, even though I've never been there. I'm Scots-Irish, ethnically, and Catholic. Since I was a child, I always understood Ireland is awsome. Wow. Just wanted to say that.:)

You remind me on one of my relatives who went to america and he is scotch irish and supporsts celtic and is catholic and is obsessed with this island.:rolleyes: He even has his own club and website.

mathepac wrote: »
    Hi there, welcome along.

Scots-Irish a neat short-hand way of saying "I'm Irish but my ancestors lived on two different islands".

An early Irish tribe, the Scotii, colonised parts of what we call Scotland today, generously bestowing :
    • their country its name,
    • their family / clan names, (McThis and MacThat)
    • their dress (kilts and capes)
    • their music (the pipes)
    • their dances (reels and jigs)
    • their native language (Irish / Gaelic, for some strange reason pronounced "Gallic" in Scotland, which means French everywhere else)
    • their favourite tipple, (whiskey, which for some inexplicable reason they still can't spell)
    • their native sport (called shinty in Scotland or hurling in Ireland, a game like field hockey, but with more excitement and "liathróidí"[Irish word, "cojones" in Spanish]).
    Some centuries later when a surfeit of lovely clothing, alcoholic drink, repartee, music, dancing and outdoor sport was tipping the Scots over the edge into a lifestyle that was rather too hedonistic, we sent St Columbanus to give them Christianity and save their souls.

In between times, as life on our little island got boring we ventured west (one of our High Kings coined the phrase, "Go west young man, go west") and established another colony to the north-northwest of Texas. This colony, Nova Scotia or New Ireland, was the original staging post for our North American invasion.

Some of the lads, who were at a loose end, wandered south and gave the Texans a hand kicking the El Presidente Santa Anna's troops back into Mexico. Two of these were also Scots-Irish, or more accurately Irish-Irish, and are held in high esteem in Texas since. These two are Jim Bowie and Bill Travis (originally MacTavish an Irish-Irish name). Bowie's family made a lengthy transit stop around what is now called Kentucky, which like Ireland is renowned for breeding, raising, riding and training thoroughbred race-horses.

The Alamo was later documented in detail by the famous Irish film-maker, Walter Disney and later again in a film starring John Wayne, who was looking for Maureen O'Hara's home phone-number when he got caught up in the whole schemozzle. Ms. O'Hara was at that time a Catholic nursing-missionary in Northern Mexico, now called Texas.

The scots irish are very rarely scotti, the scotti come from the highlands the scots irish come from the lowlands and they are picts. Sorry don't eat me for saying that it just annoys the hell out of me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Some centuries later when a surfeit of lovely clothing, alcoholic drink, repartee, music, dancing and outdoor sport was tipping the Scots over the edge into a lifestyle that was rather too hedonistic, we sent St Columbanus* to give them Christianity and save their souls.

St Columba, although columbanus probably went to scotland first Columba gave the biggest shot at converting the Picts

oh also, I believe Scoti was the Roman name for Irish raiders rather than a tribe themselves. The Cruithne were between Ulster and Scotland for a lot of the Dal Riada period

• Advertisement

owenc wrote: »
    You remind me on one of my relatives who went to america and he is scotch irish and supporsts celtic and is catholic and is obsessed with this island.:rolleyes: He even has his own club and website.

My kind of guy -dont you just love that kind of enthusiasm -well I do :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

oh also, I believe Scoti was the Roman name for Irish raiders rather than a tribe themselves. The Cruithne were between Ulster and Scotland for a lot of the Dal Riada period

Yes, the Latin term "Scoti" applied to all the Irish and is found in Irish documents also when referring to ourselves. When Brian Boru was declared to be the "Emperor of the Irish" at Armagh it was written in the Irish Annals by the scribe as Brian "Imperator Scottorum".

CDfm wrote: »
    My kind of guy -dont you just love that kind of enthusiasm -well I do :p

Naw it gets on my nerves.:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

Naw it gets on my nerves.:P

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The scots irish are very rarely scotti ...
    St Columba, although columbanus probably went to scotland first ...
    Thanks guys, no offence intended. The intention was not to build a historically accurate picture, just to poke a bit of innocent fun at ourselves and our colonisation adventures. :) (In my case "ourselves" meaning the Irish-Irish-Norman-Welsh-Irish-Irish, who of course became more Irish-Irish than the Irish themselves.)

My next treatise will be on how the descendants of migrant Aztec and Inca property developers are responsible for our current crop of ghost-estates, broken banks and impoverished tax-payers.

Thanks guys, no offence intended. The intention was not to build a historically accurate picture, just to poke a bit of innocent fun at ourselves and our colonisation adventures. :) (In my case "ourselves" meaning the Irish-Irish-Norman-Welsh-Irish-Irish, who of course became more Irish-Irish than the Irish themselves.)

My next treatise will be on how the descendants of migrant Aztec and Inca property developers are responsible for our current crop of ghost-estates, broken banks and impoverished tax-payers.

I see. Don't worry about offending me it was only that wee bit.

none taken here mate :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

urge to move this to AH....rising...

urge to move this to AH....rising...

eh Brian -we havent had an Irish-apache yet ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

The scots irish are very rarely scotti, the scotti come from the highlands the scots irish come from the lowlands and they are picts. Sorry don't eat me for saying that it just annoys the hell out of me!

I'll eat you for saying it, nyom nyom nyom!!

Ok, sorry, got a bit carried away there. The Picts were an entirely different people than the Scotii, and in fact, there's some conjecture that the arrival of the Irish in Scotland in the 7th century actually played apart in the decline and eventual disappearance of Pictish power in Scotland.

Just sayin' like...

• Advertisement

I just got some strange news from the 1911 census online. Turns out that bucking all 19th century trens my great great grandmother was born in America and emigrated to Dublin to live in a tenement on fishamble street. Feckin sadist.

Einhard wrote: »
    I'll eat you for saying it, nyom nyom nyom!!

Ok, sorry, got a bit carried away there. The Picts were an entirely different people than the Scotii, and in fact, there's some conjecture that the arrival of the Irish in Scotland in the 7th century actually played apart in the decline and eventual disappearance of Pictish power in Scotland.

Just sayin' like...

Yea i was just telling them that scot irish were not irish because they are from the lowlands and they are mostly picts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Everything that needed to be said has been said by the OP. Locked.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement