Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aust PM says Political correctness is dead

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

jank wrote: »
    Linky??

Read about it years ago, found a wee bit about it on a wiki article.
    Cathy Freeman caused controversy at the 1994 Commonwealth Games by waving both the Aboriginal flag and Australian national flag during her victory lap of the arena, after winning the 200 metres sprint; only the national flag is meant to be displayed. Despite strong criticism from both Games officials and the Australian team president Arthur Tunstall, Freeman flew both flags again after winning the 400 metres.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_flag

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

dlofnep wrote: »
    Read about it years ago, found a wee bit about it on a wiki article.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_flag

That quote has no references at all so it is made up, hell you could have added it if all I know!

So despite the fact that you CANT link what you said to be true are you going to take it back.

That quote has no references at all so it is made up, hell you could have added it if all I know!

So despite the fact that you CANT link what you said to be true are you going to take it back.

Why would I take it back? It's a matter of fact. I read about it a few years ago. You're going to have to forgive me if I can't find a news source that I read a few years back.

It's not made up. I couldn't care less if you believe it or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 andrewhpf

There was a small controversy fueled by a vast minority of silly people (of which the like exist everywhere), but for the most part, Australians were very proud of her and her achievement. Nothing more worth saying on the matter tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Looks legit to me
    http://www.google.ie/#hl=en&source=hp&q=cathy+freeman+flag+controversy&aq=0&aqi=g2&aql=&oq=Cathy+Freeman+flag&gs_rfai=&fp=5bce4f5dc0079769

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,933 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Zambia232 wrote: »
    I think there is a world of difference between the link to what she said. And the Original post here.

Julia is not John Howard and John Howard never said the latter part of the post either despite the circulation of an email for years.

I was wondering i knew i had gotten this email years ago and it resurfaced last week as a new news story i was wondering why.

Agree with the idea in the rant if you go to Oz then abide by their laws, fair enough i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Does anyone realise that there isint really any such thing as "political correctness" ?

Its a myth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

that deffinitley Happened
    25cathy1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Nodin wrote: »

That article says the Aussie public loved her decision to carry both flags.

• Advertisement

She was criticised by some also. I remember reading the original article. My point isn't really that all Australians are inherently intolerant - but that in response to the OP - I found it amusing that he would harp on about accepting his culture and lifestyle, when the native Australian's culture and lifestyle is often not met with the same respect. The whole thing smacked of hypocrisy.

Nodin wrote: »

Sorry but that doesnt prove a god damm thing. Can you point it out anywhere where it is quote that she was " lambasted by Australians for waving the Aboriginal flag".

that deffinitley Happened
    25cathy1.jpg

I know it happened and good on her for doing it.

What I am questioning is this "apparent" ill feeling towards her and that she was lambasted by the general Australian public for doing so. IMO its a load of $hit. A classic case of a straw man built on one or two officials comments' who may not have even been Australian. Jeez!

Instead of this.

article-1199923-05BBFC7E000005DC-961_468x401.jpg

We get the impression that its this.

torch%20mob.jpg

The classic strawman and I am surprsied Dlofnep that you of all posters engage in that.

Sorry but that doesnt prove a god damm thing. Can you point it out anywhere where it is quote that she was " lambasted by Australians for waving the Aboriginal flag".

Look, it happened. Obviously not all Aussies were upset with her. But she was certainly attacked for waving it. You act is if there isn't a problem with discrimination of Aboriginees in Australia.

She was criticized by some also...

Some does not equal all now does it? There are always idiots but I would suspect the VAST majority didnt care less so why focus on the .1% minority.
    Adds NOTHING to the conversation.

Some does not equal all now does it? There are always idiots but I would suspect the VAST majority didnt care less so why focus on the .1% minority.

I never stated that it was all. Do you disagree that intolerance towards the indigineous population of Australia exists?

• Advertisement

There are a number of articles listed, which show (a) she did carry two flags and (b) some weren't happy about it.
    Her proclamation of rights has brought both criticism and commendation from the Australian public and from key officials. With her 1994 gesture, she received over 5000 faxes of support following her victory lap, including one from then Australian Prime Minister Paul Keating. But she was also met with heavy criticism from Arthur Tunstall, senior Australian Commonwealth Games official.
    http://myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=Cathy_Freeman
    Cathy Freeman won a gold medal at the 1990 Commonwealth Games organized in Auckland, New Zealand. She was a member of the 4X100 metres relay group and became the first female Australian Aboriginal to acquire a gold medal in an international event. She won the 200 and 400 metre races at the 1994 Commonwealth Games in Victoria, Canada. At this event, Cathy Freeman stirred a huge controversy when she waved the Australian flag along with the Aboriginal flag during her victory lap. She was criticized by the Australian team’s manager for her action and was instructed not to repeat this kind of action. However, after her second victory she again carried both the flags in a defiant way. At the World Athletic Championships of Athens, Greece in the year 1997, Cathy Freeman won the 400 metres race. She also won the same title in 1999 at Seville, Spain.
    http://www.australiaonnet.com/about-australia/famous-australians/cathy-freeman.html
    Jank wrote:
    Can you point it out anywhere where it is quote that she was " lambasted by Australians for waving the Aboriginal flag".

Lambasted by some, certainly.
    http://www.thefreelibrary.com/'She's+not+one+of+us'%3A+Cathy+Freeman+and+the+place+of+Aboriginal...-a0215787821

Actually, stating what you did below doen't help either.

You didn't orginally suggest "some" instead of "all" but took an absolutist line.

Look, it happened. Obviously not all Aussies were upset with her. But she was certainly attacked for waving it. You act is if there isn't a problem with discrimination of Aboriginees in Australia.

Ah two separate questions there mate.

there was a Backlash against her, I know people who still refuse to recognise that flag as anything more than an 'A**O Rag'

the issue at the time however was that it WAS NOT an official flag of the country, She could have carried the QLD Flag or the Eureka flag or the Olympic flag (Boxing Roo) which were recognised at the time, but instead she decided to make a Political statement, a lot more people didnt like that, nothing to do with Flags etc they just dont like Politics detracting from sporting achievements.

also I read in one of those QANTAS inflight magazines a few years ago that she prefers to be referred to as Catherine, Thought I'd mention it as this thread was originally about Political correctness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I never stated that it was all. Do you disagree that intolerance towards the indigineous population of Australia exists?

Yes but it is in no way state sponsored or approved. Pretty much like every country has a degree of intolerance within its domain.

• Advertisement

Well now, John Howard was one of the ones who objected to Ms freemans usage of a non sanctioned flag, He also refused to apologise to the abboriginees during his time as PM.

then there was Mal Broughs NT intervention, which I said at the time should have been designed for the protection of all children in the state not just the Black ones.

there is a very distinct diference in treatment between Blacks and Whites observable here in Australia,

Look at the difference between the Palm Island incident and the Bundaberg Base Hospital as a good benchmark.

SenSgt Chris Hurley should have been strung up by the Balls for his direct contribution to the DEATH of Mulrunje Dumadgee, however he was Given a promotion and a medal for Fuppin Bravery:mad::mad::mad: ALSO any investigation into the incident rapidly gets Hamstrung b y the State Govt and the QLD Police Union.

wheras Jayant Patel was the Surgeon at the Base Hospital in Bundaberg, he was Qualified to do what he did at the time of doing it despite what people have tried to claim later, People died due to operations that Patel Performed and believed were nescessary to preform for his patients, however some of them died, I dont have the statistics at hand right now but they are irellevant anyway because people have decided to label him as Dr Death and portray him as some sort of almost Shipmanesque character

Patel was sentenced to Jail

so one person Kills someone in an incident outside the remit of their normal duties
    and one person kills someone whilst trying to do his Job, with the victims consent

Guess which one is White???

Zambia232 wrote: »
    Yes but it is in no way state sponsored or approved. Pretty much like every country has a degree of intolerance within its domain.

I never said it was, but it has been visible at state level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭Bob Z

cavedave wrote: »
    233rd in the world for population density at 2.907 people per square kilometer

Ireland is 144th with 63 people per square km

When you become more sparsely populated than the Sahara in 236th place will you open up your jam packed country?

But isnt there vast parts of Austarlia that no one lives in? So this would effect that ranking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I never said it was, but it has been visible at state level.

I cant see it in Victoria in fact all I do see is the effort to integrate from the state

Advertisement