Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with Eircom Broadband

• 04-07-2010 3:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

For about a year or so I've been getting disconnected from my Wireless router randomly. It could happen at any time. However, if I change to a wired connection it connects fine but the wireless still doesn't work. I'd have to turn the modem off for it to start working again.

Bottom line... Wireless can disconnect randomly while holding a wired connection.

Anybody have any insight on my problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Possibly interference from external source. Microwaves, cordless phones and baby monitors all use the same frequency and are often problems with wireless networks.

The fact that you have to restart the router to reconnect could be indicative of a bug in the wireless stack in the routers firmware. Make sure that you are running the newest firmware possible.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Firstly your problem has nothing go to do with Eircom. If you are getting a regular connection when you connect by ethernet then your isp is not at fault.

Have you tried changing your wireless channel?

Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless networks using the same channel?

Any other wireless gizmos in the house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Knasher wrote: »
    Possibly interference from external source. Microwaves, cordless phones and baby monitors all use the same frequency and are often problems with wireless networks.

The fact that you have to restart the router to reconnect could be indicative of a bug in the wireless stack in the routers firmware. Make sure that you are running the newest firmware possible.

Not sure what the latest firmware for a Netopia 3347NWG is. But I have the firmware 7.8.0r2.
    dub45 wrote: »
    Firstly your problem has nothing go to do with Eircom. If you are getting a regular connection when you connect by ethernet then your isp is not at fault.

Have you tried changing your wireless channel?

Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless networks using the same channel?

Any other wireless gizmos in the house?

Yes, I changed the Wireless channel last night. Disconnected again this morning. Changed it to a channel nobody else was on.

Yes, iTouch, PS3, XBox, 3 other laptops. But none of them have been using the internet the last 2 weeks as it's only been me in the apartment.

Advertisement