Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athlon II X3 or Phenom II X2?

Options
  • 04-07-2010 4:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

Both cpus have similar price and clock speed.

But which will perform the best overall?

AMD Phenom II X2 545 / 3 GHz

vs

AMD Athlon II X3 435 / 2.9 GHz

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

A nasty question. The increased cache of the Phenom will make it slightly better for single- and dual-threaded apps with a hankering for cache (crypto, compression/archiving and gaming) while the third core on the Athlon will make it vastly superior (well, ~47% faster to be exact) during heavy multitasking or in any program that can utilize more than two cores, particularly encoding and modern gaming (try playing a modern console port with just two cores! :o).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 CompExpert

As i know you can unlock the 4 core in the x3 . If you do that and you'll overclock it to 3.0 or 3.2 as i'll do you will get extra performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

You can also unlock two more cores in the Phenom II, if you're lucky like I was.

Advertisement