Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ante-natal classes

• 04-07-2010 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Hi,

Just a quick question about ante-natal classes...

My partner is due in about 7 weeks, but we haven't attended any classes. She's had a child before, this is my first. She's not from Ireland (are things different here?). We have good reason for not being able to attend so far, and possibly have good reason up until the birth, which I won't get into. While there's obviously been ups and downs, we've been very happy during the pregnancy, we just want to know if there's any major problem with not attending the classes? Anything we're missing out on that we should know? Do people strongly advise going to them?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 loopylo

Hi...

I went to my 1st Ante-Natal Class on Friday...I's imagine it differs in different Hospitals but il tell you the Schedual for Holles St...

Class 1: We met a Midwife who works on the Labour Ward & met a Physiotherapist...the midwife talked mainly about how to keep well in pregnancy & the iron supplements you can take,also talked about breastfeeding (didnt try to push it on me which was good,even though I was the only woman there who openly admitted to not wanting to breastfeed). The Physio just went through the different exercises to help with the random pregnancy pains.

Class 2: We are going to go through the signs of Labour, My sheet says we will discuss 1st stages of Labour & Pain Relief with a Midwife.

Class 3: The second & third stages of Labour, Caesarean sections & instrumental deliveries are discussed with a Midwife.

Class 4: Is a Labour workshop with a Physio.

Class 5: Is all about breastfeeding again with a Midwife.

Class 6: Is the last class with a video of a birth shown & and discussion with a Dietitian about healthy eating for the remainder of the pregnancy & after.

Most of it, your partner will already know as this baby is her second but your first. There was alot a Fathers there which is refreshing to see. Maybe as its your first child you might like to attened.

Hope this helps. I can keep you updated with the weekly classes & discussions if you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I trained as a midwife in Holles St and gave the odd ante-natal class while I was working there.

If theres anything you want to know you can PM me and I'll try fill in the gaps for you.

Baby will come with or wwithout classes so don't worry if you don't get the chance to attand any :)

Advertisement