Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over dark coloured walls

• 04-07-2010 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I didn't do very well in Decorating, so I'll try here!
    If you had a room painted with dark coloured walls, and you wanted to go much lighter, would you put on several coats of the lighter paint, or give it a couple of coats of white then the colour you want? The latter would be cheaper and easier (not having to be careful of the ceiling) but I suspect the white might be as difficult to cover as dark paint?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

The only way I know to cover dark colours before painting a different colour is to paint over with grey paint first, the exact shade depends on the colour to be covered. Don't use white, you'll be there 'til doomsday.

Ask for specifics in your local paint shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,620 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Thank you, I suspected that might be the case - grey is a good idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I would suggest using white, as grey is a dark colour so why would you put a dark colour on again. The only time you use a grey is when you are painting a door lets say with a dark colour so you can see the misses.

Use white emulsion, it will blot out some of the dark colour first. While painting your ceilings you can paint your walls as well...

Advertisement