Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's Emigrating?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

AARRRRGH wrote: »
    And people like yourself will continue to think that your leaving Ireland is actually going to cripple Ireland. A lot of you will be back. A lot wont.
    Some will bring something good with them and some will just be a drain on this country in the future.

All this talk about leaving and "God help Ireland if I leave". Smacks of self importance. If you are going to leave stop talking about it and leave. Do something constructive instead of rabbiting on about it.

The fact is that most people who keep talking about leaving are the wasters. The ones who have left already have actually done something for themselves.

I have much more respect for those who have left than those talking about it non-stop, but never doing anything. I was part of the great 80s exodus myself. We didnt get to talk about it. We had to leave. Its not as hard as you think to emigrate and if and when you come back in 10 or 15 years you will see a different country. Maybe better, maybe worse, but it wont have changed because you left.

Ireland wont miss you as you have nothing to offer it at the moment. If you did you wouldnt have to leave. Because you would have the skills to find yourself a place here. You are no loss right now, so dont get on your high horse. But in future you might come back with something to offer. Thats when you can make a difference - if you have made use of your time abroad.

you and i were part of 80s exodus and your right it was not planned or talked about we just did it , did that make it right ? , or did it just make it easy for a corrupt system to maintain the staus quo and bring us back in a 25 year cycle to 2010 . their is an arrogance in believing your very important to the country and will be missed there is also an arrogance in thinking you know it all by living abroad for a few years !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭dreababyluxe

Yourname, I'm assuming the reason you're so ignorant is because you have a job...?

I have been far from snotty about where I've been looking for work since being let go in fashion retail. I've tried bars, cafes, tesco and even dunnes and I'm still not able to find anything and I have more than enough experience and the skills for all those jobs mentioned. I've even gone as far as Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Tipperary to seek out work - I've considered relocation but the work isn't out there for me... Unlike alot of people my age I don't have the option of moving home to help me save finances and pay bills so I have to consider all my options.

I hope ignorant idiots like you lose your jobs too and feel the pressure us unemployed have been under for months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

I'm going!
    Maybe to New York or California. What's the point in staying here? I mean look at any debate in the Dail, half the ****ers aren't even there! They get paid a nice wage to not even sit in a ****ing chair for a few hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Emmigants! I knew it was them! Even when it was the bears, I knew it was them.

I've jus got my two years experience in hedge fund administration and I've my cv ready to start applying for jobs in Edinburgh.. If I get something, happy out, if not, stick at the job here till christmas or so nd then off to Asia.
    Either way I shouldn't be here next year. I like the country and will settle in my adopted Galway at some stage but for now, seriously itchy feet to go somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Hopefully by this time next year i'll be heading to japan to teach english

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Emigrating to Greenland to work in "ICE FISHING!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

djk1000 wrote: »
    I'm off to Canada next year, started saving and planning recently.

I'm sick tired and so angry about paying extra taxes and charges at every turn, just to bail out the ***** that caused the mess, the same ***** that are sitting pretty through this recession.

I refuse to sit quietly and be shafted for something that I didn't play any part in causing. I might be back after the mess is sorted out, but until then, I'd rather work minimum wage in another country than stay here and watch 55% of what I earn go in taxes.

As I type, that airhead tanaiste Coughlan is on RTE defending the indefensible once again. I hope she and her cronies burn in hell for what they did. Despite what has gone on in Irish politics in the last few years, the puppy farm bill has come closer to bringing down the government than anything else, what a sad indictment of the ruling class.

Just been made redundant. A part of me is thinking exactly what you've said. I want to take my free education, my degree and my experience, and f*&k off elsewhere.Why the hell should I pay for Sean Fitz and his ilk to continue their gilded lifestyles?I'm embarassed by us as a nation. I will happily work in any job, yet I can't help wondering why the hell I should have to - why should I put up with a situation where I can't work in or around my chosen field, which I've worked hard to get in to?

And yet the other part of me is saying stick it out, help build the country up. The problem is that the angry part is growing louder by the day.

Can I email this thread to the relevant email addresses on the FF/Leinster website, or would that be a problem for people? I don't know who might read it, but it's about time somebody in there got a realistic view of what going on in the lives (and heads) of the people of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Have been thinking about it for a while, but I'm more hoping to travel the world than emigrate to a specific country, settle and look for a job.

All in the distant future though, when I get money and get fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

In order to save the Irish economy, the best and brightest of us have to leave these shores every generation.

This is to allow the thickos left behind to keep going to mass and voting Fianna Fail without fear of persecution.

I'm gone by the end of the year. Canada or maybe the UK.

Who else is going?

two things wrong with your remarks, firstly you count yourself as one of irelands best and brightest. secondly the implication that anyone who remains, is a "thicko". I dont vote fianna fail and I dont go to mass. I'm in a job were I've had my wage cut twice and If i could sell my apartment, believe me I would be gone to my brother in New zealand. doesn't make me a thicko, it just leaves me in a very common situation that many young people have found themselves in. Perhaps you should go to the UK, you'll blend in quite well with your superiour knowledge and foresight. They love your type over there trust me!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

maninasia wrote: »
    I doubt taxes in Canada are lower, they are probably higher!

But the taxes go to public services, not to bank bailouts, inept union appeasing quangos and interest payments on the national debt.

j1974 wrote: »
    two things wrong with your remarks, firstly you count yourself as one of irelands best and brightest. secondly the implication that anyone who remains, is a "thicko". I dont vote fianna fail and I dont go to mass. I'm in a job were I've had my wage cut twice and If i could sell my apartment, believe me I would be gone to my brother in New zealand. doesn't make me a thicko, it just leaves me in a very common situation that many young people have found themselves in. Perhaps you should go to the UK, you'll blend in quite well with your superiour knowledge and foresight. They love your type over there trust me!!!!!

No one is really stuck, there are some pretty severe things which can be done to start abroad again. Leave the country and hand back the keys of the apartment to the bank, live in the UK for a year, declare yourself bankrupt under UK law and be free and clear in 12 months. Or just bugger off to Australia, US or Canada.

The statute of limitations is 6 years in debts. You'd never be able to borrow in Ireland again, but if you moved back in 6 years they couldn't chase you for money owed. If you really want to get out of Ireland and start a new life, there is nothing stopping you.

Build your new life, buy a house in a new country, if you ever wanted to move back here, you'd just need enough equity in that house to buy somewhere here free and clear. This is all perfectly legal, some would say unethical, I would say that it's just refusing to play their game anymore because the deck is stacked against the little guy.

Now that was a quality off topic rant!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

No one is really stuck, there are some pretty severe things which can be done to start abroad again. Leave the country and hand back the keys of the apartment to the bank, live in the UK for a year, declare yourself bankrupt under UK law and be free and clear in 12 months. Or just bugger off to Australia, US or Canada.

The statute of limitations is 6 years in debts. You'd never be able to borrow in Ireland again, but if you moved back in 6 years they couldn't chase you for money owed. If you really want to get out of Ireland and start a new life, there is nothing stopping you.

Build your new life, buy a house in a new country, if you ever wanted to move back here, you'd just need enough equity in that house to buy somewhere here free and clear. This is all perfectly legal, some would say unethical, I would say that it's just refusing to play their game anymore because the deck is stacked against the little guy.

Now that was a quality off topic rant!!!

Jesus Christ.

No, that was a typical Irish cute hoor rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

I've jus got my two years experience in hedge fund administration and I've my cv ready to start applying for jobs in Edinburgh.. If I get something, happy out, if not, stick at the job here till christmas or so nd then off to Asia.
    Either way I shouldn't be here next year. I like the country and will settle in my adopted Galway at some stage but for now, seriously itchy feet to go somewhere.

just out of curiosity what is involved in hedgefund administration

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

Yourname, I'm assuming the reason you're so ignorant is because you have a job...?

I have been far from snotty about where I've been looking for work since being let go in fashion retail. I've tried bars, cafes, tesco and even dunnes and I'm still not able to find anything and I have more than enough experience and the skills for all those jobs mentioned. I've even gone as far as Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and Tipperary to seek out work - I've considered relocation but the work isn't out there for me... Unlike alot of people my age I don't have the option of moving home to help me save finances and pay bills so I have to consider all my options.

I hope ignorant idiots like you lose your jobs too and feel the pressure us unemployed have been under for months.

This post is hilarious, you would think you would have actually read my posts before replying to me personally, because if you had you would have read that the reason why I am posting in this thread is not because I am ignorant, it is because I believe others are, people just like you, are the ignorant ones as they won't dip low enough to take a job in somewhere like where I work.

I would love to work in somewhere like Dunnes, which you have basically put on the bottom of the pecking order, however like you there are no jobs out there even at this low level (what you implied, not me), however there are jobs at even lower levels, and people just physically won't take the jobs.

That last line is what frustrates me the most, it is exactly why I began posting here, this whining about the pressure your under, when I as of today now have two positions that I can't fill on the breadline, because people like you believe that the likes of Dunnes is the lowest form of employment and everything under that is unthinkable, get a grip and go get a job you lazy sod, get out there and make some money to live, and stop whining on about the pressure of being unemployed.

And I assure you I won't loose my crappy little job because you people will always exist, and will allow there to be no competition at my level of work, thanks for that ! ! !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Make sure ye really emigrate and don't come back.

Don't skulk over in some Irish ghetto for 15 years and then all decamp back here en masse during the next boom and push up the gaff prices again while pretending you actually stayed and manned the ship with the rest of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

This thread is starting to remind me of that great line.....

"When the chips are down, these so called civilized people, they'll eat each other, you'll see"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Left last year. The weather (in summer) is great. The cost of living is low as hell. I earn more here. The nightlife here is way better than Dublin. Being honest until Dublin has a reasonable cost of living and decent clubs I wouldnt go back if you paid me.

YourName wrote: »
    This post is hilarious, you would think you would have actually read my posts before replying to me personally, because if you had you would have read that the reason why I am posting in this thread is not because I am ignorant, it is because I believe others are, people just like you, are the ignorant ones as they won't dip low enough to take a job in somewhere like where I work.

I would love to work in somewhere like Dunnes, which you have basically put on the bottom of the pecking order, however like you there are no jobs out there even at this low level (what you implied, not me), however there are jobs at even lower levels, and people just physically won't take the jobs.

That last line is what frustrates me the most, it is exactly why I began posting here, this whining about the pressure your under, when I as of today now have two positions that I can't fill on the breadline, because people like you believe that the likes of Dunnes is the lowest form of employment and everything under that is unthinkable, get a grip and go get a job you lazy sod, get out there and make some money to live, and stop whining on about the pressure of being unemployed.

And I assure you I won't loose my crappy little job because you people will always exist, and will allow there to be no competition at my level of work, thanks for that ! ! !

So why aren't you guys swapping PM's about that job?;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭YourName

So why aren't you guys swapping PM's about that job?;)

Because obviously this person is on the same level as all the other moaners in this country, and is too good for it!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

I heard somewhere that the Irish have to Emigrate to actually accomplish something in life. Just wait for the be grudgers to talk s*it when you come back on holiday. "Look at the pr*ck! I remember he had nothing before he moved to the states, sooner the better he fu*ks back over there"

My best mates has been called every name under the sun cos he's actually made something of himself in Asia. This Irish mentality wrecks my head!:mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

I just stayed emigrated all through the boom years.

Less hassle, like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Who else is going?

I left 2 years ago. Then faced unemployment twice due the foreclosure of parent companies. I've just now, hopefully, managed to secure employment for the first time in 7 months....got to admit, it's not any easier over here, I have 2 Degree's and a Diploma and a wealth of experience...it doesn't take you as high as you'd like:(

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Luxie

dartbhoy wrote: »
    I'm considering going to the Netherlands myself. I'm a pipefitter myself and i've been out of work over 2 months now. I was looking at the UK but the construction sector over there seems to be just as bad as here. There's talks of major construction work coming off in the Netherlands in the near future and I've applied for 2 positions i saw advertised on the net from a UK and Dutch agency. By all accounts English is widely spoken throughout the Netherlands.

It is, if you do go, you'd be (unspokenly) expected to make an effort to learn though.

Dutch economy apparently reasonably stable as govt spending was fairly conservative all along.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭GalwayKiefer

I'm leaving these shores in Oct/Nov once my residency visa has been finalised for Australia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    I havent yet :(

I bought a couple of those "Teach yourself" CD's but havent had the chance to do much listening yet (concentration/multitasking abilities dont really stretch to listening while driving)

Although one probably really needs to take some classes.

I went to Dutch classes when I lived in Flanders and my Dutch is pretty poor. THe big problem is that the Dutch/Flemish speak amazing English anyway so practicing with locals (the best way to learn a language IME) is extremely tough. Most of them seem to want to practice their English and being nice, multilingual people, they'd usually switch to English as soon as soon as I'd started speaking to them (as they could detect the anglophone in my accent)

English is so widespread that I got a job in a bar without a word of Dutch, when I first arrived.

Jamiekelly wrote: »
    I'm going!
    Maybe to New York or California. What's the point in staying here? I mean look at any debate in the Dail, half the ****ers aren't even there! They get paid a nice wage to not even sit in a ****ing chair for a few hours.

I'm no fan of the current government, but they seem to be in a no-win situation in this case. If the Dáil is full, they get accused of spending their time in talking-shops and not engaging with their constituents. If the Dáil is empty, they're accused of being absent and mitching off their duties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I'm no fan of the current government, but they seem to be in a no-win situation in this case. If the Dáil is full, they get accused of spending their time in talking-shops and not engaging with their constituents. If the Dáil is empty, they're accused of being absent and mitching off their duties.

In all fairness, they do have a option.
    Open up their chairs by letting the people decide...
    But i do agree, they are fu*ked if they do and sh!t if they dont..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

spent most of my 20s away. Comfortable now in dub but might leave again next year due to boredom. Ive used all my new world visas now so maybe to london or somewhere else in europe. As for people going on about canada, oz etc, you cant just decide to live there, selection process is tight. Usa is almost impossible to get into, outside of a j1, so wise up kids!

The Aussie wrote: »
    In all fairness, they do have a option.
    Open up their chairs by letting the people decide...
    But i do agree, they are fu*ked if they do and sh!t if they dont..

My point being that either way, the Irish people will find a way to criticise them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MarcusFenix

Nah, I have a job..

Whats that thing?

Think your in the wrong thread, try the Archaeology forum id say

Oh ans PS can someone direct me to the living abroad thread, can't find the shagging thing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The only way to change this place would be to napalm the Dail, Seanad, RTE, Independent Newspapers and every single church in the land.

Don't forget boards :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Lemegeton

if my mam was not sick i would be long gone out of this ****hole of a country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Lemegeton wrote: »
    if my mam was not sick i would be long gone out of this ****hole of a country.

I think Brian Lenihan Snr said it best "We can't all live on a small island."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

if i wasnt still in collage id be out of here very fast to america or australia

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Edinduberdeen

I left 5 years ago.... I miss home :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

We got the green card and we are going to the US early next year, myself, hubby and 2 kids. We both have jobs here but we are sick of it,we are doing it for the kids sake.

Fair play, how ye get the green card? The lotto?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I left 5 years ago.... I miss home :(

Probably because you went to Scotland which is even worse than Ireland in terms of sheer depressing awfulness.

I emigrated to the US about 3 years ago, great place but its almost impossible to get into now unless you win the green card lottery or marry.

• Advertisement

Fair play, how ye get the green card? The lotto?
    Yes the DV 2010 lottery

WOW, you and the wife? or did that auto-qualify the wife then?

Edit: hubby, sorry dunno why I assumed I was talking to man:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Aprilmay wrote: »
    We got the green card and we are going to the US early next year, myself, hubby and 2 kids. We both have jobs here but we are sick of it,we are doing it for the kids sake.

Lucky you, check out the North America forum for tips on starting your new life there. Good luck!

WOW, you and the wife? or did that auto-qualify the wife then?
    Hi I'm a woman- my husband applied and saw that if your married- your spouse can apply.(your disqualified if you apply more than once but spouses have a chance each) I was selected - I did all the paperwork for the four of us (no solicitors) and sent it off was then put through for the next round- got that, four of us did the medicals, vaccinations , x-rays (none for kids under 14)etc. Done the interview and we were told that day we go it.

On a another note while we were there that day in the embassy we were the only family with a DV visa but there were lots of older people being sponsered into the US by thier kids. So its not just youger people looking to get out.

Just saw your edit lol

Ruu wrote: »
    Lucky you, check out the North America forum for tips on starting your new life there. Good luck!
    Thanks I have -we have been doing our homework- been out there activating the greencard because it has to activated within six months of getting it. We took the kids to look at houses, check out the area etc

I should have said when you apply for the lottery you have to include your dependants and make an application for each

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

I've just had a great day in my new home town of Warsaw, lovely weather, beautiful Women (well one anyway I don't look at the rest)

Recession? Whats that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Berilium2

Australia FTW :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I'm out of here next week.

Working as a Teaching Assistant in Spain. I know Spain is even worse than here Economy-wise..... but a job is a job!

And the beach isnt bad either :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

Chonker wrote: »
    I've just had a great day in my new home town of Warsaw, lovely weather, beautiful Women (well one anyway I don't look at the rest)

Recession? Whats that?

Oh how things have changed.

Advertisement