Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who's Emigrating?

124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

sky88 wrote: »
    if i wasnt still in collage id be out of here very fast to america or australia

Cut your losses and go now. It's not doing anything.

No point in you finishing college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭almostnever

It will really depend on where we are in 2014, when I graduate from college. As I'm doing Law, if I wish to become a solicitor or barrister, further training will be required, so it'll be difficult to ascertain until I have some qualification that can lead to a job. What route I go down is still very much up in the air too, so it's a case of waiting and seeing for me. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 nmblade

Finished college last May, got a decent grade on my degree and opportunities for jobs etc. are sparse. But even when opportunities do come up, it seems that the connections you have and nepotism in selection is the order of the day. 'Underqualified' and 'Overqualified' are the other PC bull**** terms I've had to put up with aswell.

Typically Irish and Fianna Fáil embody this, encouraging mediocrity in key influential positions and accepting no blame for their actions while protecting their own interests.

I've had enough and came to the conclusion that the only way to get ahead and realise your potential is to leave this country. It pains me to say it but I hope that the rot we have in this country gets its comeuppence, but knowing the bastards at the top the ordinary citizens of this country may be dragged down with them if it were to happen!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

I've been in Germany now for 3 weeks and I can say leaving was the best idea ever. I encourage everyone with a bit of sense to leave Ireland so you can see how a country should be run. Mass emigration might just make this government realize how badly they have f***** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

smegmar wrote: »
    I've been in Germany now for 3 weeks and I can say leaving was the best idea ever. I encourage everyone with a bit of sense to leave Ireland so you can see how a country should be run. Mass emigration might just make this government realize how badly they have f***** up.

mass emigration is exactly what they want .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

don't go to australia/nz, they're sick of the irish by now as over the past two decades we've forged ourselves an image of mollycoddled IT gimps fresh out of college just there for a job. and bondi beach

Star Bingo wrote: »
    don't go to australia/nz, they're sick of the irish by now as over the past two decades we've forged ourselves an image of mollycoddled IT gimps fresh out of college just there for a job. and bondi beach

Yeah my brother has be over there for 6 or 7 years and he say the tide is turning against the Irish because of the 'craic and drinking' nonsense. A lot of apartment complexes won't take Irish people now because they are terrible neighbours for the existing tenants.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭ruahead

Gone already to UK. I spent the previous year in Asia upskilling. Use your time wisely!! Upskill, learn a language, live abroad. The world is your oyster.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

Just set up my own business back home... going to cane out the salary over here for the next few months and then I'm back as my own boss.

Got fed up banging my CV in looking for a job over there when I'd have to work a 3 month notice over here. So screw the recession, screw the politicians and screw all the doom sayers.... if this works l'll be employing people within 3 years, if it fails at least I tried!

I know my idea is good enough, the business has minimal start up costs, I have the funding to start and I'm prepared to work 25 hours a day!

So no, I'm not emmigrating - I'm immigrating;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

No Irish government since the founding of the state has given a flying fuck about emigration. All they want the emigrants to do is send money home to support their entire families, so keeping Ireland's economy going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

MJRS wrote: »
    I'm going to Canada! Can't wait.

Have a job here but decided I'm going to fill out the USIT 'under 35' (just in time) Visa application form tomorrow. Not expecting a booming economy over there as it clearly isn't, but it's going to be nice change of scenery for sure and hopefully pick up something that will pay the bills. Montreal would be my first choice but my lack of french would seriously hinder my chances of picking up work there. So probably Vancover. Stay there until my visa runs out and head to Scandinavia I think. New Zealand is no-go for a working visa if you're over 30:mad:. European citizenship is a godsend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smartassname101

danbohan wrote: »
    so why are you and all the others not going to stay and try to change from inside ?, you cant do it from outside

Because we`re outnumbered by thicko`s. Brian Cowan`s ratings have gained 2 points in the last poll. Enough said. We Irish deserve everything they get (whoever remains that is)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 smartassname101

Yeah my brother has be over there for 6 or 7 years and he say the tide is turning against the Irish because of the 'craic and drinking' nonsense. A lot of apartment complexes won't take Irish people now because they are terrible neighbours for the existing tenants.

Seriously??http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif I`ve just began the process or getting my skills accessed etc to head to WA. I`m married with 2 daughters so the decision to emigrate was not one we took lightly. I hadn`t heard of any anti Irish biased sentiment though. How bad is it, would it hinder employment possibilities?

Seriously??http://b-static.net/vbulletin/images/smilies/confused.gif I`ve just began the process or getting my skills accessed etc to head to WA. I`m married with 2 daughters so the decision to emigrate was not one we took lightly. I hadn`t heard of any anti Irish biased sentiment though. How bad is it, would it hinder employment possibilities?

You'll probably be alright what with being a family man because it's more the "drinkin' and craic" crowd that are being shunned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

They won't care, we don't have a vote when we emigrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I really want to!!

Loans are holding me back :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

They won't care, we don't have a vote when we emigrate (unless you're in the uk).

You don't have a vote in the Republic if you move to the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

From citizens information....
    Overseas voters
    If you are an Irish citizen living abroad you cannot be entered on the Register of electors. This means that you cannot vote in an election or referendum here in Ireland. (The only exception to this is in the case of Irish officials on duty abroad (and their spouses) who may register on the postal voters list).

linky

There are obvious exclusions to this rule such as defence forces, diplomats, etc.

Now so here's the obvious part....we need the media to jump on this and start asking the ministers and big Biffo himself should this rule be changed to take into account the numbers emigrating and to allow them have a vote at home?!

I wonder what his answer would be :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

You don't have a vote in the Republic if you move to the UK

Oops my mistake...still it means you can't vote if you move abroad (unlike in France where you can get a postal vote if you are abroad).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

I'll be emigrating to Norway in January or February. Can't wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

I'll be emigrating to Norway in January or February. Can't wait!

Valhalla awaits. :rolleyes:

erase yourselves from this place and give me more space

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

Leaving next year but would rather stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭Under A Funeral Moon

Star Bingo wrote: »
    Valhalla awaits. :rolleyes:

erase yourselves from this place and give me more space

Precisely.

Haha. I'd be honoured! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Oh Canada!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

I want to emigrate to WA after I graduate next Summer, my oh is already over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Megglz wrote: »
    I want to emigrate to WA after I graduate next Summer, my oh is already over there.

Ah Washington, City of Apples.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

SeaFields wrote: »
    Now so here's the obvious part....we need the media to jump on this and start asking the ministers and big Biffo himself should this rule be changed to take into account the numbers emigrating and to allow them have a vote at home?!
    We've a petition for it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭sleepyescapade

karlog wrote: »
    Ah Washington, City of Apples.

Washington State! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Still get 18 months of my undergrad degree. Then I'm going to head to either London or Boston to do a masters. After that-who knows?

I won't be coming back though. Even if the economy was flourishing I'm just fed up of Ireland and I've never had any real desire to spend any of my working life here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 98 ✭✭malkmoose

Moving to Helsinki in 20 days, getting out of dodge. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭-Leelo-

One of my best friends off to Oz in a few weeks :( If I was in a position to, I'd have been long gone. Was never one who wanted to travel or anything, I'm a home-bird but this place just gets worse by the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

be in canada in the summer,selling home and after that ,gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 949 ✭✭✭maxxie

I have a job which I honestly enjoy and the pay is ok but when the time is right im a goner! The country is a joke and the people are just as bad! Evidence is right here on good old boards! People arguing the case for the government still to this day! Fair enough you can bail the banks out!
    Il send you a postcard :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

they didnt learn from last time and they all argue among each other as they always do,this time will be a long time before things get better,if they ever get better,only difference this time,i wont be returning again ,only for visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

This thread has actually really upset me. :( I'm in NZ, I've been here for the last two and a half years and I'm dying to come home. Now I'm worried I won't be able to. Are things really that bad? I'm here until mid 2012 anyway, although I'd move back tomorrow if I could. I didn't emigrate to get away from Ireland and I was only going to be here for a year or two but circumstances changed.

If you're thinking of moving to NZ just be warned that while I've always found it easy to get a job here the salaries are shockingly bad. One of the NZ Government's big priorities is to get the salaries in line with Aus because skilled kiwis are all emigrating there or to the UK where they can get paid well. Cost of living isn't all that much less either. I feel like I had more money when we were in Dublin but how much of that is rose tinted, I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

gone since last august

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mackman

watna wrote: »
    This thread has actually really upset me. :( I'm in NZ, I've been here for the last two and a half years and I'm dying to come home. Now I'm worried I won't be able to. Are things really that bad? I'm here until mid 2012 anyway, although I'd move back tomorrow if I could. I didn't emigrate to get away from Ireland and I was only going to be here for a year or two but circumstances changed.

Me too, Im heading back in March, it was supposed to be for good but from what im hearing it looks like ill be back in Oz sooner than i think :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭sunshineoh9

maybe i'm an idiot but i'm moving to ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Mackman wrote: »
    Me too, Im heading back in March, it was supposed to be for good but from what im hearing it looks like ill be back in Oz sooner than i think :(

I hear ya! I have permanent residency so we can always come back if we have to but I really want to be able to settle in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Are things really that bad?

Hey Watna, without trying to sugar coat anything the answer is YES, just got a temp lay off notice from the day job on Friday and told to come back in Feb:pac:
    I will be a seasonal worker for at least the next 5 years and not able to claim the dole, not a nice fealing i can tell you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

I hope to emigrate in a year and a half, Im sticking around for my postgraduate course, I want to leave with as much qualifications as possible and just as Im leaving the country I'm going to give Brian Cowen a good aul kick in the testicles!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Leaving the country for 13 months in May. But (so far) it looks like I'll be back after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

They won't care, we don't have a vote when we emigrate.

It's the government unwritten plan for young people to emigrate, they know they can't afford social welfare for them. If you try to move back to Ireland with foreign dependents (husband/wife/kids) they won't approve them unless you can prove you can support them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Flygimp

If you're thinking of moving to NZ just be warned that while I've always found it easy to get a job here the salaries are shockingly bad. One of the NZ Government's big priorities is to get the salaries in line with Aus because skilled kiwis are all emigrating there or to the UK where they can get paid well. Cost of living isn't all that much less either. I feel like I had more money when we were in Dublin but how much of that is rose tinted, I don't know.

Being an Aucklander living in the west of Ireland - 'cost of living' here is tenfold that in NZ. Taxes, insurances, housing, food, petrol, clothing, children's education...etc.

Inflation has risen in every 1st world country but I'm sure you know the state of affairs in Ireland.

Remember NZ came 5th in the "International Quality of Living Survey" out of 192 countries. Ireland came in 41 behind Latvia... these facts are more poignant when planning a family... choose wisely friend.

But I do realise home is home... for better or worse. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭TomBeckett

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm gone almost a year now, loving it here, will come back someday but not tomorrow ;)

Yep.. Gone about 8 months myself and its pure heaven here:D If i actually think of ireland now i feel sick.. Its one miserable place..And from what i hear
    its only going to get worse!! But to be really honest the weather was one of the biggest reasons i moved..and my other half being Thai of course!!:p:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,622 ✭✭✭maninasia

The West of Ireland is a beautiful spot....and Irish wages are still high if you have a job ....could be a lot worse!

Advertisement