Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you get banned for using a VPN to buy games through the US Steam Store?

Options
  • 04-07-2010 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭

I wonder, because games are much cheaper on the US Store. Anyone know?

And if I bought the game, would I have to use the VPN while downloading it? Or would I be safe since it's in my account?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

I think you'd have a problem with a non us cc on it to start with. getting someone in a different country to purchase a game with their account and gifting them seems acceptable, although an empty account buying gifts for another foreign account would raise flags.

Both would be dodgy and not worth risking a collection of games on tbh, even with the large price differences.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

I was going to buy with PayPal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I wouldn't risk it either tbh... I'm sure they're fairly copped on to this sort of stuff and will have your account flagged for suspicious activity in no time.

tman wrote: »
    I wouldn't risk it either tbh... I'm sure they're fairly copped on to this sort of stuff and will have your account flagged for suspicious activity in no time.

Looks like I better hope things get REALLY cheap during the sale, I only have a tenner to spare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Looks like I better hope things get REALLY cheap during the sale, I only have a tenner to spare :(

Get to know someone the states or UK and get them to gift you games :) and pay later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

I've bought games with my Steam account when in work (MS network is in UK) so it uses GBP's,,,because in most cases its cheaper
    Then downloaded them at home to my PC.
    I've also bought many games off my local PC.

Not sure though bout a VPN in the US.

Mantels is probably the easiest idea though.

Funnily enough I only found out that we are charged more than other countries on STEAM, who also use the Euro. I was always aware we were overcharged compared to US/UK , but didn't realise other Euro Zones had different prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

You'll probably get refused unless you have a U.S credit card.

Burgo wrote: »
    You'll probably get refused unless you have a U.S credit card.

What about PayPal?

SeantheMan wrote: »
    I've bought games with my Steam account when in work (MS network is in UK) so it uses GBP's,,,because in most cases its cheaper
    Then downloaded them at home to my PC.
    I've also bought many games off my local PC.

Not sure though bout a VPN in the US.

Mantels is probably the easiest idea though.

Funnily enough I only found out that we are charged more than other countries on STEAM, who also use the Euro. I was always aware we were overcharged compared to US/UK , but didn't realise other Euro Zones had different prices.

Even a UK VPN would do, I know of one that has US, UK and Chinese VPN's, last I checked.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

If the savings are gonna be worth it, as in if you intend to buy multiple high priced games....you could always create a new steam account and try it with 2 games that are 1.99

• Advertisement

found http://www.steamprices.com/eu/ which would help me decide if it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

SeantheMan wrote: »

They must be charging the VAT rate for the country it thinks you are in.

Advertisement