Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Traffic

• 04-07-2010 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi,
    I have Digiweb Metro Broadband with a 20 GB allowance.I notice that now any file download increases the traffic dramatically.
    The file download Sunday at 12.26 is 52.2 Mb ,traffic at this time 357.94
    The traffic shows on the reset 440.27 at 12.50. The PC was not used .
    There is 35.13 mb not accounted for in the download.
    See attachments to check .
    Any comments ,
    Atkin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭atkin

Hi,
    See the files for the traffic .I have a movie file of the program that was downloaded .I could not convert to send but if you require I can send it as a WMV file to your e mail.
    Atkin.

Got an image of the downloaded program file shows size and time.
    Atkin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You should test it using a bigger file, 500MB maybe. There are overheads and upload to consider, not just the file you downloaded. Also how often do Digiweb update the counter? Is it every minute, hour, several hours? You don't really know for sure what period is being counted there.

Monitor everything you do in a 24 hour period, and compare it to the counter. Use a 3rd part monitor like DUMeter, or similar.

If this were true, and Digiweb were adding 50% or more to your download count, you wouldn't be the first to notice it.

My allowance went up further today when I downloaded 3 music videos on YouTube its a killer. The count updates every 30 minutes.I can monitor with windows but it shows packets .Do you know how to correlate ? Maybe just throw in the towel and get a file alarm .
    This effects too security updates from windows which are sometimes large.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There is no direct relationship packets and data. You need a Firewall/Router that measures traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 dmannix

I checked mytraffic report against an internet usage application and it was bang on. You do realize its a 30 day rolling limit. At 00:40 each morning, the date on the far left minus the date on far right = amount added OR subtracted from your current 30 day usage. eg 6gig - 2gig = -4gig off your 30 day usage. Also 2gig - 6gig = +4gig added to your current monthly usage. Its a complete joke. Change to UPC if you can. Unlimited cap (its actually 250gig per home fair usage)

atkin wrote: »
    Hi,
    I have Digiweb Metro Broadband with a 20 GB allowance.I notice that now any file download increases the traffic dramatically.
    The file download Sunday at 12.26 is 52.2 Mb ,traffic at this time 357.94
    The traffic shows on the reset 440.27 at 12.50. The PC was not used .
    There is 35.13 mb not accounted for in the download.
    See attachments to check .
    Any comments ,
    Atkin.

Yes been looking at UPC its available .Digiweb was good in the beginning but they look to claw back the offers now .
    Thanks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

I have the same issue, moving away from Digicom once my new DSL is setup. Sick of Digiweb slowing my connection to a slow speed. There upload/download limit is a pain.

I telephoned Digiweb and told them I wanted to cancel. They gave me an offer of 26 euro a month for 25 gb including the telephone.I can increase the allownace to 35 Gb for a charge of another 6 euros . I must stay with them for a year.
    They tell me this offer is only for existing customers its called Metro Surfer.
    Looks like UPC has got em rattled .:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30 A_M

their service is reliable, but their caps are ridiculous, i pay 70euro a month and my net slows down to less than 1mb after 40gb of download....

i will be switching soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

A_M wrote: »
    their service is reliable, but their caps are ridiculous, i pay 70euro a month and my net slows down to less tah 1mb after 40gb of download....

i will be switching soon

What deal are you on ?

I get 50GB per 30 days (In reality 59.99GB) for €50

• Registered Users Posts: 30 A_M

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    What deal are you on ?

I get 50GB per 30 days (In reality 59.99GB) for €50

i signed up with wireless 8mb broadband, but every month i would receive a call saying i've exceeded the download limit, so every time they call they would increase my download limit alongside with the price.

this month i have used up 46gb and my download speed has been deducted to ~1mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I find the Traffic monitor accurate comparing with my own monitoring.

The price is OK also. The only alternatives are Ripplecom (ex ICE area) and possibly DSL. I'm 900m from Exchange, but speed might be slower with DSL, or it might not work, you can't tell without ordering a line. DSL is more expensive.

UPC Broadband only is good value if you want a 120G or 240G cap. But we are outside UPC area and since we use 15G to 22G per 30 days, UPC would cost more or similar for extra we don't use if we did live in city.

A 30G cap is not huge but not "ridiculous". A 1G to 15G cap is low. For Wireless 30G is fairly good, higher cap on average would impair the speed.

You can't have high Caps (100GByte + ) except on Fibre, DSL or Hybrid Fibre Cable (UPC).

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Giz1007

Best way to control download usage is to check

mytraffic.digiweb.ie

You are allowed to go 20% over you're limit before you get capped.
    so on a 30GB
    you get to go to 36GB However once you hit 36 you will be capped until you reach 24 80% of your limit.

Advertisement