Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BARKING DOG

• 04-07-2010 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of advice. My nextdoor neighbours dog is barking all the time and Its driving me bonkers.
    I said it to him several times to no avail.
    The dog does be ok when its just myself and the Mrs in the back garden but if someone else comes into the garden and the dog doesnt recognice the voice he goes mental and he is very loud.Labradour.

I just wondering if anybody has any advice because I am going out the council this week to get Form for offical complaint.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

I don't really think there's anything the owner can do if the dog is only barking at strangers. I'd think most dogs would do that. It's annoying I know, but he's not barking all day and night right? Just when someone strange is in your garden?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

try this..
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/PETSAFE-ANTI-BARK-FREE-STOP-PUPPY-NO-DOG-BARKING-AID-/250607773391?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3a596326cf

I guy i work with got one for the same reason as you. But i wouldnt leave it on all the time.. Dogs need to bark every now and again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Just looking for a bit of advice. My nextdoor neighbours dog is barking all the time and Its driving me bonkers.
    The dog does be ok when its just myself and the Mrs in the back garden but if someone else comes into the garden and the dog doesnt recognice the voice he goes mental and he is very loud.Labradour.

I just wondering if anybody has any advice because I am going out the council this week to get Form for offical complaint.

give over ffs.

get to know the dog-give him treats.

he's a dog ffs¬!!

thebullkf wrote: »
    give over ffs.

he's a dog ffs¬!!

This is a better Idea !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

I work nights he barks all day:(

http://www.environ.ie/en/LocalGovernment/DogControl/#What can I do about barking dogs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nukinfuts

do you have a good relationship with the neighbours? Is your formal complaint going to cause unnecessary agro? If it were me, I'd be annoyed having my sleep interrupted constantly - however I love animals, and if I thought my formal complaint meant that dog ends up going to a pound or something, I couldn't do it. I suggest investing in earplugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

nukinfuts wrote: »
    do you have a good relationship with the neighbours? Is your formal complaint going to cause unnecessary agro? If it were me, I'd be annoyed having my sleep interrupted constantly - however I love animals, and if I thought my formal complaint meant that dog ends up going to a pound or something, I couldn't do it. I suggest investing in earplugs

A dog should not bark continually.

is it being left all day alone in its garden?

Ear plugs do not always block out close dog barks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭nukinfuts

Graces7 wrote: »
    Ear plugs do not always block out close dog barks.
    True - its merely a suggestion

nukinfuts wrote: »
    True - its merely a suggestion

I know; sleep disturbance is dreadful though. I wear earplugs much of the day because of loud noise here. They are great for most noise. My collie still can be heard though.. Which is as it should be of course.

Ear plugs will dim the noise considerably

or failing the above^^

Jack Daniels;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Don't listen to those on here saying "it's only a dog ... get to know him" etc. I put up with this for years with my neighbour's two alsatians, and you'll hate to hear it but there is not much you can do, particularly if you are not on good terms with your neighbours. You need to let them know in advance that you are making a complaint as far as I know in writing. The next stop is the council. We knew the city dog warden of the time and he called to the house as a favour. But even if that happens, as long as the dog is not in distress, obviously injured, dangerous or otherwise out of sorts, there is nothing that really can be done. There does not appear to be any legislation with teeth in it, and I've never heard of a dog been put down for barking unless it was dangerous (nor should it be - either the owner should be forced to look after it properly or the dog rehomed to someone who actually cares).

I had some success by firing dog biscuits etc. over the wall (another neighbour's house was between us) when I was really sleep deprived. I even offered to walk the dogs (which my bitter old neighbour declined). I tried ear plugs that would never totally block out the sound, I would put on background music sometimes also, but always I could hear that grating bark in the distance. The worst thing is that you really become sensitised to it, so what might not be so annoying to one person is hell to you when you're on your 5th night of disturbed sleep. Your options are to try butter the neighbour up and get him to do something about it (it is possible that the dogs are not being walked enough), get on to the warden and hope that scares him, or wait for one dog to pass away, followed by the owner in quick succession and sale of the house - as what happened to me :)

NeVeR wrote: »
    try this..
    http://cgi.ebay.ie/PETSAFE-ANTI-BARK-FREE-STOP-PUPPY-NO-DOG-BARKING-AID-/250607773391?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&hash=item3a596326cf

I guy i work with got one for the same reason as you. But i wouldnt leave it on all the time.. Dogs need to bark every now and again.

Did you see this ?

tommy21 wrote: »
    Don't listen to those on here saying "it's only a dog ... get to know him" etc. I put up with this for years with my neighbour's two alsatians, and you'll hate to hear it but there is not much you can do, particularly if you are not on good terms with your neighbours. You need to let them know in advance that you are making a complaint as far as I know in writing. The next stop is the council. We knew the city dog warden of the time and he called to the house as a favour. But even if that happens, as long as the dog is not in distress, obviously injured, dangerous or otherwise out of sorts, there is nothing that really can be done. There does not appear to be any legislation with teeth in it, and I've never heard of a dog been put down for barking unless it was dangerous (nor should it be - either the owner should be forced to look after it properly or the dog rehomed to someone who actually cares).

I had some success by firing dog biscuits etc. over the wall (another neighbour's house was between us) when I was really sleep deprived. I even offered to walk the dogs (which my bitter old neighbour declined). I tried ear plugs that would never totally block out the sound, I would put on background music sometimes also, but always I could hear that grating bark in the distance. The worst thing is that you really become sensitised to it, so what might not be so annoying to one person is hell to you when you're on your 5th night of disturbed sleep. Your options are to try butter the neighbour up and get him to do something about it (it is possible that the dogs are not being walked enough), get on to the warden and hope that scares him, or wait for one dog to pass away, followed by the owner in quick succession and sale of the house - as what happened to me :)

yeah don't listen to us.........use your influence and contacts to get a dog warden to visit an old person:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

this gangsters advice is ultimately wait till the dog DIES!!!!

FFS.

NUFF SAID.

*sure kill them yourself:rolleyes::rolleyes:

*obviously not serious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

If the dog is actually barking all day, then I do see why you're annoyed. The dog might be neglected and just left on its own all day and never walked, and if so then your neighbour is in the wrong there. But it might just be one of those dogs that always barks . . . I know you shouldn't have to put up with it, but I don't really know what to do either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

He said it only barked when he had a guest out his back garden. I am sure the dog is just being a good guard dog but this can be annoying when its not your dog. Try what NeVeR said, should work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

yeah don't listen to us.........use your influence and contacts to get a dog warden to visit an old person:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

this gangsters advice is ultimately wait till the dog DIES!!!!

FFS.

NUFF SAID.

*sure kill them yourself:rolleyes::rolleyes:

*obviously not serious

My comments had nothing to do with the elderly bar the fact that the person was elderly! They would have gotten the same response if they had been in their teens. I don't think you understand the situation because you've obviously never experienced the annoyance that comes with it. I'm sure jack daniels and dog treats will put the quickest end to the dog/owner ;P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

tommy21 wrote: »

+1.

As a victim of two constantly barking dogs I can identify with a lot of that post.

I've two neighbours who've got a Westie each, and the barking is constant. Day & night, and its driving me wild.

Calling around to them has been a total waste of time, both are out working all day and simply don't care about the dogs - so the dogs bark, and bark, and bark.

In the last few weeks I've been perscribed sleeping tablets from the doctor, and he reluactantly gave me those only after I told him I was having a few glasses of brandy to get to sleep.

Now I sleep with the TV on, and sometimes a radio too - but I can still hear the barking.

OP, best of luck. If you've got money employ the services of a solicitor and feck the neighbours opinion of you.

+1.

As a victim of two constantly barking dogs I can identify with a lot of that post.

I've two neighbours who've got a Westie each, and the barking is constant. Day & night, and its driving me wild.

Calling around to them has been a total waste of time, both are out working all day and simply don't care about the dogs - so the dogs bark, and bark, and bark.

In the last few weeks I've been perscribed sleeping tablets from the doctor, and he reluactantly gave me those only after I told him I was having a few glasses of brandy to get to sleep.

Now I sleep with the TV on, and sometimes a radio too - but I can still hear the barking.

OP, best of luck. If you've got money employ the services of a solicitor and feck the neighbours opinion of you.

A dreadful situation. I have been blessed in that the two times a near neighbours's dogs have done this, a word of concern for them has sorted it out, In one case, they were both deaf and had double glazing and had no idea the dog was barking. They were so upset and moved her. Much the same the second time; I asked another man if they were ok as the dog as barking nonstop and i was going to call the Gardai to check on him..

Why do these people have dogs and leave them like that?

There are some new better ear plugs out..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

give over ffs.

he's a dog ffs¬!!

Happy dogs do not bark all day and all night.

Happy dogs do not bark constantly.

Happy dogs rarely bark, unless startled, or excited.

Bored, anxious, frustrated, under-exercised, nervous, unhappy dogs bark at anything and everything, day and night.

In Australia, a dog is considered to be exhibiting nuisance behaviour if you cannot walk on the public footpath passing the gate of the garden or the fence or wall of the garden without being barked and snarled at from inside the yard, even if the dog is contained and cannot get to you. I'd be interested to see if the irish and english dog laws have a similar clause.

Barking all day is not normal, and it's not because 'it's just a dog'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭rebel10

Taken from Citizens advice website:
    Excessive dog barking that causes a nuisance is an offence. Your District Court can make an order requiring the reduction of excessive barking by a dog, can limit the number of dogs that can be kept on a premises or can direct that a dog be delivered to a dog warden as an unwanted dog.
    You can make a complaint about excessive barking to the District Court under Noise Regulations. Before you do this, you must first inform the dog owner of your intention by completing a special form under the Control of Dogs Act, 1986. These forms are available from your local authority.

I have 2 small dogs. The only time they go out in the garden is just to do their business. Would love to let them out more but one of my neighbours hates dogs. They don't bark at my neighbours unless someone strange to them is in their garden. I take them in once this happens.

The neighbour is an a**hole. He has never complained to us about them but we know from actions in the past he dislikes them. Once he was having a party early in the evening, my dog went out and barked at all the noise next door. I went out to bring him in, when i see the neighbour with a hose out over my fence pointing at the dog, soaking him!!:eek::( The minute he saw me he pulled it in and started laughing amongst his guests. I was tempted to say something to him then and there but didn't want to embarress him in front of his guests, although they are just as bad having watching this happen and doing nothing, then i assume they are as bad as him.
    I am half tempted to call around to complain about his child who screams in the garden every morning keeping me awake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

OP you have my sympathies, I can totally relate to what you are going through living next to two constantly barkning dogs. I have 3 dogs and would be mortified if they were disturbing my neighbours but some people don't care:mad: My neighbour thinks that because its the day time that they bark most that its ok but not everyone works a 9-5 job. I work shift work so some days I would be in bed at 4pm. The only solution I had was to move my bedroom into the front of my house and I got double glazed windows, talking to the neighbours was useless. Best of luck, hope you have some success soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Happy dogs do not bark all day and all night.

Happy dogs do not bark constantly.

Happy dogs rarely bark, unless startled, or excited.

Bored, anxious, frustrated, under-exercised, nervous, unhappy dogs bark at anything and everything, day and night.

^^^This is so true.
    I have dogs myself, the first thing I did when I got them was talk to my neighbours and ask if they barked when I go out. Thankfully the don't but that's 'cos I walk them 4 times a day, never leave them long, keep them inside with TV or radio on and leave stuffed kongs to keep them busy.
    A dog a few doors down barks all day on and off and in the summer it often goes on until midnight, theres many nights I have fallen asleep with the ipod on(I get up at 6 or 7 so early to bed). I have never seen this dog, its always in the yard.

If the neighbour isn't approachable or isn't doing anything I would go ahead
    with the notice and inform the council, dog barking is a serious problem and should be treated as such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

I heard something on the news about a new law or something on noise, which will include dogs barking. Where the gardai will be able to actually do something and i did hear something about fines, but this of course is in the early stages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Steve30x wrote: »
    I wouldnt have my dog disturbing my neighbours. My dog was barking like crazy the other night and after a little while I went out to quieten him down. The next day I went to appologise for his behaviour to my neighbours.

I am trying to rehome him with about five weeks now because I dont have room for him anymore since I moved house six weeks ago , Ive tried WSPCA , PAWS and advertised him on a few websites but nobodys interested.

Can't believe what i am reading... another irresponsible dog owner... :confused:

A DOG IS FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Pounds and rescue centres are BURSTING with dogs / cats dumped by neglectful owners.... how can you even think of giving your dog away??

Cannot understand this mentalility!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

cocker5 wrote: »
    Can't believe what i am reading... another irresponsible dog owner... :confused:

A DOG IS FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!!

Pounds and rescue centres are BURSTING with dogs / cats dumped by neglectful owners.... how can you even think of giving your dog away??

Cannot understand this mentalility!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

As much as I agree with this mentality being way off, at least she hasn't just dumped the dog, like so many seem to be doing also..... this is just horrible.

As much as I agree with this mentality being way off, at least she hasn't just dumped the dog, like so many seem to be doing also..... this is just horrible.

give him a few weeks of no joy re-homing and im sure he will resort to this...

cannot believe how humans can be at times!! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I mean't to get back to this thread.

I've found a cure, at least in the short term. And by chance too!.

During the hot weather I had a fan blow around the room, and as mad as this sounds, the gentle whirl & breeze from it is drowning out the barking!..

I've been around to the neighbours again since the last time I posted here, and I swear to good God at this stage I feel like choking both the owner's and the damned dog.

Someone here posted about becoming sensatised to the sound, and its true.

Its gotten to the stage now when there's been a break in it barking, and it starts again its like I experience a mini panic attack!.

If anyone here has a barking dog, please for the love of God don't think for a moment your neighbours don't notice it - or curse you from a height.

as a dog owner myself... i have to say i CANNOT stand dogs barking all day and all night...

Our guy only barks for the post man.... other than that he is as quiet as a mouse... he wasnt always like that... he was a whingy pup.. but we trained him...

He sleeps in the kitchen so no barking at night and has a dog walker during the day and other days im home with him etc... all our neighbours have young children and the last thing we would want is our dog scremaing all day...

last thing i would want is a dog beside me barking all day /all night.... very unfair on neighbours.. so i do feel very sorry for anyone who has to listen to that all day...

I do agree with one poster... most dogs who bark all day are bored and stuck in a garden 9 hours a day...., its not really their fault.. but its the owners responsibility to make sure you can live along side your neighbours without distrubing them etc... :)

Ive moved into a smaller house. Can you not read. Get mad all you want. Also I am not female. This sort of attitude makes me just as mad as me trying to rehome the dog makes you.

Yes because I should be classed the same as everybody else that dumps the dog. No I will not dump the dog. I will continue to try and rehome him.

I know you guys are dog lovers but for the love of god please back off with the attitude.

No 1
    I can read

No 2
    Why would moving to a smaller house have any baring on your decision to re-home your dog?? a dog doesnt require alot of room, they can be excercised and live happily without having a huge house and garden.

No 3
    When moving house why would you even consider a home than you felt wouldnt be suitable for your family..... that includes your dog.

No 4
    its not attitude, its the truth...

No 5
    you have very little hope of re-homing your dog, as i already stated rescues centres are FULL to the brim with dogs /cats in the same situation....

Maybe next time you should think long and hard before getting a dog.... :confused: a dog doesent understand why you are giving him away and they feel abandoned / depressed... as your are there owners... and thats supposed to last for life, not for as long as you have time, room or space!!!

• Advertisement

Its a council house where I had no choice where to go.

He gets excersized twice a day

Yes it is an attitude.

Rehoming a dog doesnt neccesarily mean giving him to a rescue centre. In my book rehoming him means getting him a HOME in a house

Also I have a cavalier king charles that is with me until the day she dies.

Right so...

let me get this straight... your in a house?? so you have a garden?
    even if small??

and your keeping one dog and not the other???

thats even worse than i thought :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement