Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BARKING DOG

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Whatever your opinion Cocker, you don't know Steve, so you don't really have the right to judge him and say he is irresponsible. You don't know that, he has said he doesn't think he has the space to properly look after the dog, and is trying to rehome it. Sometimes people can't keep a pet, doesn't make them irresponsible neccessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

At the end of the day you have to live with your decision...

You have a house and a garden...

and your still trying to off load your dog... sorry one of your dogs... the other one get to stay

ridiclous excuse....

Cannot understand your mentalility :confused::confused::confused:

next time think LONG and HARD before getting another dog...
    just to prevent another dog being giving away by his/her famliy

morganafay wrote: »
    Whatever your opinion Cocker, you don't know Steve, so you don't really have the right to judge him and say he is irresponsible. You don't know that, he has said he doesn't think he has the space to properly look after the dog, and is trying to rehome it. Sometimes people can't keep a pet, doesn't make them irresponsible neccessarily.

I understand where you are coming from, but thats my opinion, keeping one dog and not the other... selective in my opinion.... its his decision....

Hopefully he will think twice before getting another dog....
    my only concern is for the animal (s)

Steve30x wrote: »
    I dont like arguing with anybody , but your selective reading is annoying at most.

you can try and justify your decision all day...and pick up on everything.... and try and be smart...........it doesnt change the facts... im not interested anymore.... its your decision...

i just feel for the dog and what he/she will go through... :eek:

I'm just glad my dog will be with me for life.

AGAIN please think long and hard before getting another dog... :mad:

I dont like arguing with anybody , but your selective reading is annoying at most.

Its a small house with a tiny garden and theres absolutely no room here. Ive lived in an appartment that was just two foot shorter than this house. Im not like most of you on here with a big house , but you just dont understand because you dont have a house this small.

Also did you even read the posts I posted links to?

Sorry just had to point out...

you dont know anything about me or my house.... how big it is or how small.... or anything for that matter. you seem to have the opinion that people on here have big houses etc??
    not sure where you get that from.

I can only speak for MYSELF and say my dog is part of my family and will be with me for life.

I am sorry your house is small.... and its obsiviously upsetting you... but please dont assume that we all have big houses and gardens.... :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Pudding11

Not sure I understand the attitude against the person trying to rehome the dog?! If they have had to move to a smaller place, surely its more cruel to have a big dog forced to live in a small space (and with another dog!) than it is to rehome it to somewhere it will have plenty of room to live and exercise. I sincerely doubt its an easy decision and from the sounds of it, they are doing their best to find a new home that will be better for it than where it is now. when it comes to council houses, you dont always have a choice in where you are moved to and their garden/outdoor space isnt always big enough for 1 dog let alone two.
    You might not agree with it but it doesnt make them a terrible animal owner!

Fair enough. But I only take advice from people who dont jump at me like you just did. Ive been given that advice by nicer people on here who I will listen to though.

PS> your on my ignore list.

im really upset :rolleyes: ignore people if you dont agree with them very mature!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭Steve30x

cocker5 wrote: »
    Sorry just had to point out...

you dont know anything about me or my house.... how big it is or how small.... or anything for that matter. you seem to have the opinion that people on here have big houses etc??
    not sure where you get that from.

I can only speak for MYSELF and say my dog is part of my family and will be with me for life.

I am sorry your house is small.... and its obsiviously upsetting you... but please dont assume that we all have big houses and gardens.... :confused:

You dont know anything about me or my house either but you made an assumption about me. Yes it does upset me a bit that I am in such a tiny house and the fact that there isnt enough room here for him , but its a lot better than what a lot of people in third world countries have. Also my Cavalier is part of my family also and she is with me until the day she dies or until the day I die. Whichever happens first. Sorry for assuming you guys have big houses but I can almost guarantee what ever your house is its bigger than this house.
    im really upset :rolleyes: ignore people if you dont agree with them very mature!

No I had you on ignore because you are rude.

Pudding11 wrote: »
    Not sure I understand the attitude against the person trying to rehome the dog?! If they have had to move to a smaller place, surely its more cruel to have a big dog forced to live in a small space (and with another dog!) than it is to rehome it to somewhere it will have plenty of room to live and exercise. I sincerely doubt its an easy decision and from the sounds of it, they are doing their best to find a new home that will be better for it than where it is now. when it comes to council houses, you dont always have a choice in where you are moved to and their garden/outdoor space isnt always big enough for 1 dog let alone two.
    You might not agree with it but it doesnt make them a terrible animal owner!

Agreed... its just at the mo there seems to be sooooooo many animals owners re-homing their dogs.... they cant all be legitimate reasons...

I work for a rescue centre as you can imagine its very rewarding and upsetting the amounts of dogs i see day in day out... getting droopped in the the smallest reason (not taking about steve here) after awhile it REALLY gets you down.... so for me, after years of seeing it im more concerned about the animal than upsetting the owner....

Cocker 5, I cant imagine how hard that job must be sometimes. nothing sickens me more than people who just treat animals cruelly or could just dump them for reasons that cannot be justified. I dont know Steve30x obviously but it sounds like (and I would hope) he has a good reason for needing to rehome one of his dogs and I hope he finds it a good home soon. I adopted two cats last year (as much as i would love a dog I dont have the room for even 1!) and it was so heartbreaking not to be able to bring them all home!

• Advertisement

Pudding11 wrote: »
    Cocker 5, I cant imagine how hard that job must be sometimes. nothing sickens me more than people who just treat animals cruelly or could just dump them for reasons that cannot be justified. I dont know Steve30x obviously but it sounds like (and I would hope) he has a good reason for needing to rehome one of his dogs and I hope he finds it a good home soon. I adopted two cats last year (as much as i would love a dog I dont have the room for even 1!) and it was so heartbreaking not to be able to bring them all home!

We have had vets calling us to see if we could take some cats as their owners didnt want them anymore and wanted them put to sleep... perfecrly healthy cats!!! :eek::eek:

so the vet contacted us to see if we could take them in.... we have had soooo many cases like this i cannot even explain.... so i suppose in my case i just cant take anymore ... and it makes my blood boil..... so i am more sympathic with the animals than the owners... its the nature of where i work... you can get defensive and protective over animals....

I have one dog at the mo... would love another but i just couldnt stop at two... and it would break my heart to have to choose :P

I really admire you being able to do that kind of work at all, I dont think I would be emotionally able for it . Just the thought of putting down a healthy animal because you dont want it any more makes me so very angry. I really wish there was some way people could be screened before owning an animal at all, not just rescuing one. Ive seen terrible neglect from a neighbour many years ago when I was only a kid and even then I was so furious. Some people just dont deserve to own pets at all. Fair play to anyone who adopts them from a centre or something similar, at least they are giving them a home. Whenever I have the room to get a dog, I personally could never buy one knowing that there are plenty of other ones out there needing to be rehomed.
    Totally off the topic of a barking dog i know!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Right here goes.

Ive had 5 reports about this thread mainly regarding Cocker5`s opinion ramming.

Cocker5--While I understand your frustration with dogs being abandoned--Here is not the place to ram your opinion down other users throats-namely steve30x.

Now I suggest you calm it down a bit--Theres at least one post here that I could have banned you for personal insults.The rules here ar "attack the post not the poster"
    So consider this a warning.

Steve30x--Theres no point in deleting posts as mods can still read them--in future just report the post.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Right here goes.

Ive had 5 reports about this thread mainly regarding Cocker5`s opinion ramming.

Cocker5--While I understand your frustration with dogs being abandoned--Here is not the place to ram your opinion down other users throats-namely steve30x.

Now I suggest you calm it down a bit--Theres at least one post here that I could have banned you for personal insults.The rules here ar "attack the post not the poster"
    So consider this a warning.

I would just like to respond.

this is a forum....and forums in general are for people expressing opinions... and as I have already stated on previous occasions after years of working with abandoned animals I only have the animals interests on my mind...... and their best interests at heart.

and as for ramming down my opinions, it seems to me the expressing your opinion and not agreeing with other posters is seen ramming opinions? Cannot see the logic.

in future i will make sure i comment about the post and not the poster.
    but to be fair i think they are one in the same... not ramming this time... just expressing my opinion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I would just like to respond.

this is a forum....and forums in general are for people expressing opinions... and as I have already stated on previous occasions after years of working with abandoned animals I only have the animals interests on my mind...... and their best interests at heart.

While you I agree that you have the animals best interests at heart--its the tone of responses that are the problem here.

and as for ramming down my opinions, it seems to me the expressing your opinion and not agreeing with other posters is seen ramming opinions?
    Youre well entitled to your opinion but as I stated above its the manner in which you do it
    Cannot see the logic.

The logic is that while its all well and good to post your opinion it must be done in a non-confrontational way.
    in future i will make sure i comment about the post and not the poster.
    but to be fair i think they are one in the same... not ramming this time... just expressing my opinion.

Well most peeps wouldnt say that theyre the same.Hence the reason we warn over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sorry if this is off topic but it's kind of related imo - what do you guys think is acceptable barking? Eg barking when there's a knock on the door etc? Our retriever pup would bark outside if there's say a workman up on a ladder next door but we always bring him in straight away for fear of somebody reporting him! He also barks/cries if his ball rolls under his kennel and he can't get it - but he's only 1 lol :rolleyes:
    He's a bit clingy and really needs to learn how to be on his own but this means he'll be barking while we're in the other room etc and my mam is worried the neighbors next door will complain! They had a dog themselves that barked 24x7 because they dumped it and went away for the day/weekend/2 weeks with him chained up outside and it drove everyone in the area mad to the point somebody complained. They've already "complained" by roaring at the pup after their guests we're banging our fence and teasing him to make him bark! :mad:

tk123 wrote: »
    Sorry if this is off topic but it's kind of related imo - what do you guys think is acceptable barking? Eg barking when there's a knock on the door etc? Our retriever pup would bark outside if there's say a workman up on a ladder next door but we always bring him in straight away for fear of somebody reporting him! He also barks/cries if his ball rolls under his kennel and he can't get it - but he's only 1 lol :rolleyes:
    He's a bit clingy and really needs to learn how to be on his own but this means he'll be barking while we're in the other room etc and my mam is worried the neighbors next door will complain! They had a dog themselves that barked 24x7 because they dumped it and went away for the day/weekend/2 weeks with him chained up outside and it drove everyone in the area mad to the point somebody complained. They've already "complained" by roaring at the pup after their guests we're banging our fence and teasing him to make him bark! :mad:

To be very honest here... no i dont agree with barking (i mean lots of barking) there are two types of barking... a dog will bark to express himself or just barking for attention / excess barking.......

they are both very different.. your little dog is very young... one he is still learning... he barks when his balls rolls under the kennel beacuse he a pup and its annoys him so thats his way of expressing how annoyed or angry he is... what your neighbours are doing banging on the fence and roraing at your pup... i wouldnt have that i would complain to be honest....

when my dog was a pup and when we played ball with him if he didnt get the ball after awhile he would bark at us!!! His way of saying "my turn gimme the ball"... we told him no and he stopped but learning takes times for all dogs...

a dog barking all day and night is bored and neglected... they are barking for attention as they get NONE.... regardless if the attention is negative a dog isnt choosey... they just want attention ANY sort of attention...

We are lucky now our dog at 5 is very quiet... but we did have to work on him...

your mentioned your dog is clingy... my dog was the same as a pup... he cried at the kitchen door even if we went to the toilet.... after some time your dog will be comfortable on his own and he will stop this behaviour...

you should make try and squirt a small bit of water at him when he is crying / barking for no reason this will soon stop his behaviour...

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Steve30x--Theres no point in deleting posts as mods can still read them--in future just report the post.

I deleted the posts so that I wouldnt get attacked by any other members. Just trying to keep the peace.

PS: Frank went to a home in a farm yard this evening where he will be trained to herd sheep.

I deleted the posts so that I wouldnt get attacked by any other members. Just trying to keep the peace.

Steve30x---No user should have to delete their own posts in order to avoid being attacked by other members.

In future if you feel that way report the posts and I`ll deal with it.

Will do :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

tk123 wrote: »

I think that is just normal barking, not excessive barking. And if it's during the day then I don't really think the neighbours should complain.

My dogs will bark if they're hungry (my own fault if I'm late feeding them, and if they bark I go feed them right away), or if they haven't been let out for a run around (usually just if it's raining so I let them out) or if a stranger comes into our garden or a strange cat, oh and if a farmer walks through the fields behind the house (doesn't happen much.) So it's mostly just if there's a strange cat around, which isn't really my fault. If the neighbours ever complain, then I can just say that their kids make way more noise playing football/skateboarding/trampolining, so they can't really complain. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭widespread

I have to agree with morganafay. I have 3 dogs that are highly trained and compete in competition's of field trials. My dogs are happy and well looked after.

My dogs only bark in the same situations as morganafay has described. But my neighbour continuously comes in(usually waits til my wife is there on her own with my kids) doesn't knock on the door, bounds on it. When the door is answered just roars at my wife to put in the dogs and then turns and walk away.

Last time he came in he treatened to take me to court and I said fair enough I would be happy to do that as I do not believe that my dogs bark excessively and I also wanted him to stop calling and if this is what it took then fair enough.

Lately he called again, same story. I was working and my mum had called to my wife. He waited til my mum left. and then arrived at the door pounding heavier then usual, woke up my kids who got frightened.My wife wouldn't answer the door. So he walked around the house and came back again and knocked again then left.

So who is the victim in this case:confused::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

Hey folks - just in case it might be of use to someone. I found a tool I would have killed for when I had to put up with neighbour's barking dog -
    http://simplynoise.com/

It literally justs runs continuous white noise in the background that drowns out most things, has a few different settings. Its free to run in your browser but if you want to download it think you must donate.

Will send to OP also!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Theres a dog barking right now, all night, I cant stand it, I went to call to the owners house but realised it was a different dog, this one is in a different area and im not sure of the house. I have to be up for college at 9 and I am literally going mental.
    what are my options.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

O Riain wrote: »
    Theres a dog barking right now, all night, I cant stand it, I went to call to the owners house but realised it was a different dog, this one is in a different area and im not sure of the house. I have to be up for college at 9 and I am literally going mental.
    what are my options.

Same as before - ask them nicely to control the dog's barking. If that fails report them (you will have to send a letter to them first asking them to prevent the dog barking at night). After that a dog warden will probably call to their house. Problem is the law really has no teeth - its all bark and no bite ;)

If you want a nice and simple solution, get some ear plugs and if necessary go to simplynoise.com (see my post above your original one)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Ask the neighbour to control the dog, bring the dog inside at night time or walk the dog before bedtime to tire him out. It may be that the dog is not getting enough exercise. Get onto the local dog warden.

As a note more often than not the law won't get involved in these issues but when they do, a dog barking at night is one of the things that they will most definitely take action on. I know this from experience.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Giedre

I live in semi detached house neighbourhood. Everything was fine until new neighbours moved in. They dog lives outside 24/7. Be barks on people, he barks on postman, he pollutes all the neighbourhood gardens (mine too). Sometimes he runs around with few homeless dogs. I have cat who likes to site near the window. These dogs like to site in my garden and bark on cat. Fed days ago that neighbours dog barked from around 1 in the morning to 8 o'clock. He was just running around the neighbourhood and barking on nothing.. So there was no sleep at night. One week ago i send those neighbours a letter telling that dog barks a lot, that he pollutes gardens and all the neighbourhood would like them to take attention to this. Nothing changed. What can i do?

Some time ago homeless cat had kittens in my garden, so i called to my city SPCA for help and they said that they cant help me. They have no space. They are very busy with other problems and these kittens are my problem.

So what can i do now to get the help? Is this dog neglected if he is outside all the time and runs around with homeless dogs? I have small puppy and i cant take him for a walk because that dog runs around and barks. What if he will bite?
    I feel like im going crazy.. I'm just so tired of that barking.. Any advice?

Thanks
    (and sorry for my english)

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Mr Midleton the Garden shop in Dublin has a device that is supposed to stop nuisance barking.

Have a look on www.mrmidleton.com - its €69 and called a mega sonic woof woof.

Heard from someone else that they had a similar device which work but dont know how good this one is - has anyone tried one of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Inexile wrote: »
    Mr Midleton the Garden shop in Dublin has a device that is supposed to stop nuisance barking.

Have a look on www.mrmidleton.com - its €69 and called a mega sonic woof woof.

Heard from someone else that they had a similar device which work but dont know how good this one is - has anyone tried one of these?

These are absolutely useless unless you have line of sight with the animal. And he's 15-20 feet away.

Coming into this late, but we had a similar problem for three years with a particularly nasty neighbour. Took it personally when we asked if he could keep the two large animals in just at night as people were studying for exams in our house, and needed their rest.

To say it turned nasty is an understatement. Constantly harassed (didn't bother me, but my wife and her elderly mother were getting it as well). Small man syndrome really.

Dog warden was worse than useless, to say the least. And, as a dog owner myself, I don't see why people should have to wear earplugs in their own homes, because some clown can't (or won't) control his animals. Housing estates are for people - not animals. And those same people are entitled to quiet. If our dog (now a pup) starts barking you pull him up - end of story.

So, before berating those who seek advice for a solution, maybe have a think about your own dog's behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

As a note more often than not the law won't get involved in these issues but when they do, a dog barking at night is one of the things that they will most definitely take action on. I know this from experience.

Not where I live - didn't want to know.

Advertisement