Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C# / Db setup or guitar advice

• 04-07-2010 1:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

I want to tune my acoustic to play in C# (Db) tuning. Currently using an old Yamaha FG-335 and I'd rate it about 5 or 6 out of 10, given there's a decent enough sound off it with a moderate bit of rattle and looseness.

From what I can gather from some internet searches, lower tuning requires a combination of thicker strings and longer scale-length. I can't seem to find the specs of the FG-335 to see whether it would be in the 24s or 25s, but I'll give it a measure tonight when I get some tape.

Has anyone any tips for getting a good tight sound in C#? I know it's on the borderline for baritone guitars (too expensive an option though, I reckon), but is there a set up that can be done to my Yamaha that would maximise it's sound quality in this tuning?

I wouldn't be averse to getting a new guitar for this specific purpose. Was looking at this Takamine, which seems to be decent value. It has a jumbo body (which should help) but only a 25" scale length. Should I be looking no lower than a 25.5 (650mm)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭goblin59

from my experience thicker strings should be enough. the length of neck means that some of your notes will be slightly off tuned if its too short. but if your just messing about at home then that shouldnt be a problem. my 7 string has a low B on it and the neck is same scale as my other guitars as far as im aware and it has good constant tuning.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Beave

Hey there, I would think that the strings were the most important part of the equation, I think that if you were recording and need high quality sound it might matter. I used to mess around with C tuning, it's really just a matter of putting on the heaviest strings you can your hands on. It used to work for me with .16s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Thanks guys, I'll see about grabbing a set of 16s next week and test em out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 GerryHayes

If you move up in string gauge, keep an eye on the nut slots. A jump up may require that they're widened slightly to prevent them binding and sticking.

You might also need to tweak your truss rod a little - the heavier strings will increase tension but the lower tuning will decrease it. If you're lucky they'll exactly balance each other out but I'd bet not. Take a look at your neck relief before you start and again after you finish with the new strings to get an idea of whether it needs fiddling with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

I wouls stick with the 12s or whtever is on it for Db tuning tbh.

Thats just me though

• Advertisement
Advertisement