Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URGENT HELP NEEDED: have to catch a wild rabbit

Options
  • 04-07-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭

There's a wild rabbit in my back garden. There's a field next to one of the walls, so the rabbit got in somehow that way. All walls are about 6 foot high, so unless I catch it, I can't see it going away. I have put a long plank against one wall, so hopefully it'll go up it, but can't be sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Could it have dug its way in?
    They are pretty good at that, doubt it jumped a 6 foot wall, check the garden for entry points(could be under a shed or somewhere) As for catching it, no idea sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Could the rabbit have dug under the wall? They can fit through tiny spaces.

I know pet rabbits can apparently jump about three feet or so, but I doubt they'd jump six unless there was something to stand on on the outside or something.

It probably could go up the plank if it tried, but it might be too scared to.

A vet or animal rescue might be able to lend you a cat trap to trap it in, and you could release it in the field then.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Rabbits use the same routes across land.
    Look for anywhere you can see tracks from it running through long grass, bushes ect. That's where to set the trap.
    Also they have a very good sense of smell, if it were a survival situation, I'd recommend rubbing rabbit poo on your hands before making the trap, but it's your call, if they smell humans anywhere along their oaths, they won't use it anymore.

To set the trap, push a stick into the ground beside the rabbits path, only a a few inches high. Then tie a shoe lace or twine to the stick, about 8 inches long. Then tie a large noose with the rest of the twine, opening the noose to about the size of your hand. Hang the noose across the path, and leave it over night.

Make sure your stick is thick enough, and pushed down enough into the ground to hold a frightened rabbit. Again, I'd advise rubbing poo on the lace and twine and hands!!

One more thing, this trap could kill the rabbit if it's running fast enough, I'm not sure if this is what you'd like, also if it doesn't kill him, he'll be stuck there, so don't go off for a weekend and leave the trap set, it's just cruel.
    Oh and check the garden for holes, no point in returning him to the field if he's gonna crawl back in, crafty buggers. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭sharkbite1983

Should also mention, the bottom of the noose should be about a fist highth from the ground. Google "wire snare" and click images, you'll see some good examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

morganafay wrote: »
    I know pet rabbits can apparently jump about three feet or so, but I doubt they'd jump six unless there was something to stand on on the outside or something.
    Bushes, grass (from when I cut the lawn), and a smaller wall. Pretty sure this is how it got in.
    morganafay wrote: »
    A vet or animal rescue might be able to lend you a cat trap to trap it in, and you could release it in the field then.
    Aye. Will probably contact them on Monday if we think it hasn't gone up the plank by this evening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

I reckon he definitely burrowed in somehow. And he will probably exit the same way if you just leave him. I don't think a trap is a good idea.
    If the walls are stone he could probably have scrambled up those. If it's superlap fencing he could easily squeeze through a gap.
    Just give him a day or two and he will disappear back to the field!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Eibhin wrote: »
    I reckon he definitely burrowed in somehow. And he will probably exit the same way if you just leave him. I don't think a trap is a good idea.
    If the walls are stone he could probably have scrambled up those. If it's superlap fencing he could easily squeeze through a gap.
    Just give him a day or two and he will disappear back to the field!

Actually she's probably right. I know I said use a live cat trap, but maybe just as a last resort? It'd really scare the rabbit and it could have a heart attack.

If it can't get out of the garden then you might have to use it. But it might get out itself in the meantime. Maybe leave it a couple of days?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

And if you have potted plants you treasure I would move them to a higher place! Just in case he stays on for a while and gets hungry!

Eibhin wrote: »
    And if you have potted plants you treasure I would move them to a higher place! Just in case he stays on for a while and gets hungry!
    My mum grows lettuce, cabbages, and other stuff. Rabbit won't go hungry.

The Rabbit (hare?):

D3796BE64B524D33837813BF86C9B739-800.jpg

The way out:

0FCE050F77E944E1BA1EC6F04BAB1211-800.jpg

To the left of the plank is the wall it got over. There's the original smaller wall there.

Big wall was built after one winter when six cows from the field decided to pop over the small wall into the garden to eat the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would think the plank is too steep and it won't get a grip on it.
    Can you create some steps? I saw wheelie bins, have you some other stuff you could put along the wall to give it a chance?
    Still think it got in under the wall, but who knows.
    Try leaving some tasty food on the *steps*, I think basil and mint are safe as are most veggies(not lettuce).
    Best of luck and let us know how you get on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

I think the plank is too steep. I also think, even if you put in some kind of step arrangement, the bunny is not going to jump down from that height wall - rabbits are very very wary of jumping from a height, all their strength is in their back legs for jumping UP, not landing.

The fact that he successfully made his way in, chances are he will make his way back out. Id leave it a day or two and just leave out water in a dish so he has a water source, he will probably make his own way back out the way he got in. He might like it in the garden because there are plenty of little nooks and crannies to go behind with no smells of other animals.

he will probably make his own way back out the way he got in. He might like it in the garden because there are plenty of little nooks and crannies to go behind
    That and all the lettuce, cabbage, onions, etc, that my mother grows. See the wall next to the plank? Walls like that all the way around. I'm thinking the rabbit may have ran from something (dog) into the garden.
    with no smells of other animals.
    Have a westie, who goes everywhere, so her smell will be there.

=-=

Gonna get in contact with the vet and get a rabbit trap, so that I can capture it, and let it go in the field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Its a Hare. How high is the wall from the far side as if he was being chased he could take on a decent height when in full flight

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭dessierb

Thats not a rabbit its a Hare. Looks like a young one too. Early Spring. Won't burrow its way out. Leave it to its own devices and it will take care of itself. Has got in some way that you cant see and will find its way out again. Enjoy it while its there.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Would your dog not put the run on it?

Esroh wrote: »
    Its a Hare. How high is the wall from the far side as if he was being chased he could take on a decent height when in full flight
    Ssame again, but there is a wall half the height on the other side.
    kylith wrote: »
    Would your dog not put the run on it?
    Holly will chase cats and rats, but ignores stuff she doesn't see. Heck, we had a pheasent one year, which Holly somehow didn't spot :D If the hare keeps hidden (and has done a good job so far), Holly won't go for it.

Advertisement