Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoping to work in the US for a year

Options
  • 04-07-2010 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what are my options to get a visa for 1 year working in the US?

I will either be offered a job before or after I arrive, what would be required of an employer to offer me a job in advance? Or, is it possible to get a year work visa and find work on arrival?

Also, how soon could I be approved if I were to start the process now?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Do you have a degree? If so when did you graduate? The 1-year IWT J1 visa is available up to one year post-graduation. It requires you to get a job in your field but you don't have to have one before you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Yup, I will be graduating tomorrow so will have my degree.

What is the turn around time on that type of visa if I were to apply asap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Depending on the amount being processed it should take 4-6 weeks. If you have a job already, you should look at the training or internship visa. The training is allowed for 18 months (although a bit more pricey). There's some paper work involved and it should be quicker to get than the IWT (I got mine in 2 and 1/2 weeks!)

lil_lisa wrote: »
    Depending on the amount being processed it should take 4-6 weeks. If you have a job already, you should look at the training or internship visa. The training is allowed for 18 months (although a bit more pricey). There's some paper work involved and it should be quicker to get than the IWT (I got mine in 2 and 1/2 weeks!)

Is that through a sponsor like usit yes?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Yes, USIT, Sayit, IICenter.org, maybe Go4Less all do it. Contact them for prices and availability. When I was getting mine, IICenter were having issues getting forms so sent me to Sayit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Cinful

I'd stay away from the South. Unless you want to BP cleanup. Odds are the recession will be worse in the South with the spill.

I'll probably be working in the architecture industry as that is what my degree is in. Going to San Fran I think and have contacts to get work.

SF cost-of-living index is high. One of the highest in US. Fun city, but expensive.

Cinful wrote: »
    I'd stay away from the South. Unless you want to BP cleanup. Odds are the recession will be worse in the South with the spill.

Big generalisation!! I swam in the lovely warm Gulf sea in Galveston last weekend, no oil in this direction.

When we decided to come over I initially had the romantic ideal of living in New York - but the cost of living in Manhatten is astronomical. Not saying you have to go to rural backwater, I'm in Houston which is the 4th largest city in the US. Both of us are based in the Texas Medical Centre which employs over 60,000 people and is unconnected to oil and gas. To the OP, certain industries are concentrated in certain cities, spend time researching your field of study.

Big generalisation!! I swam in the lovely warm Gulf sea in Galveston last weekend, no oil in this direction.
    Swam Galveston? Surely you jest?

Give it time. It will reach Texas coast. Tar balls, and oily sand/water. BP spill over 10 times Exxon Alaska spill (and climbing).

• Advertisement

http://www.usit.ie/travel/12_month_usa_work_programme.html

Just reading this, it mentions you work as an intern, does that prevent me from having paid work?

Is this the best way to work for a year in the US if so?

Just reading this, it mentions you work as an intern, does that prevent me from having paid work?

No you can get paid, it's just that it's supposed to be a training experience in your field of study.

Do Irish passports have a 'passport book number' ?

I'm applying for a visa and this is a possible piece of information required, but I don't know if Irish passports have them.

Anyone know? The passport office doesn't seem to have answering the phone in their job description.

Advertisement