Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo storage

• 04-07-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭

Hi

i have a lot of pictures on my computer, whats the easiest/safest way to store them. just in case the computer crashes.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭SinisterDexter

2 external hard drives (hard drives are just as likely to fail) Don't delete them off your laptop - if you can spare the space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭Shelflife

cheers , what about the online storage sites? flickr etc??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

depends on how many shots you have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

Shelflife wrote: »
    cheers , what about the online storage sites? flickr etc??

You also want to be careful there.. you won't be able to store your RAW files if you shoot in raw.. and some of those sites.. once you upload your photo to them.. they own the copyright on it, and can then sell it without any further say-so from yourself. Read all the fine print on any such site that you use.

there are other online backup solutions you can look at.. where you would just be sending FILES up.. and it wouldn't be photo-specific.. but you could send encrypted files if you don't want others to be able to access them etc.. (others being the company providing the storage.) then, as long as you keep copies of your private encryption keys, and/or you remember your pass-phrases well enough, you're doing well. Those would generally be stored in several locations... and might even include version histories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Hi

i have a lot of pictures on my computer, whats the easiest/safest way to store them. just in case the computer crashes.

Cheers

define lots? I mean are we talking about gigabytes or terabytes of images? raw, jpg, or both?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

Windows skydrive offers 25Gb free online storage. You could stick your most precious pictures there.

External hard drives seem to be the cheapest Gb/€ options at the moment. Consider having more than one and rotating it off-site (leave with relation etc.) so you have a back-up in case of flood/fire/theft etc.

Some good software to automate the process, which you can schedule is a must, as otherwise it is tedious and you won't do it as often as you should.

AnCatDubh wrote: »
    define lots? I mean are we talking about gigabytes or terabytes of images? raw, jpg, or both?

I suppose what i mean is i have alot of holiday pics that are on my computer, in jpeg format , you would be looking at 300 pics at most but more to come.

just standard holiday /occasion picture that i wouldnt like to lose if the lap top ever gave up. no commercial value just sentimental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I suppose what i mean is i have alot of holiday pics that are on my computer, in jpeg format , you would be looking at 300 pics at most but more to come.

just standard holiday /occasion picture that i wouldnt like to lose if the lap top ever gave up. no commercial value just sentimental.

Aha, as a quick, and rather cheap way of keeping them backed up, I suggest to do as Dave suggests below (which is what I was getting to).
    davmigil wrote: »
    Windows skydrive offers 25Gb free online storage. You could stick your most precious pictures there.

It gives you 25GByte of space, and some inside information suggests that the good folk that run the service won't cap it at that - I guess at some stage they may charge but for now 25GByte+ is free.

If you use internet explorer then you get a neat drag and drop uploader.

Using this service also means you have access to your images from anywhere you are connected to the internet. Plus if you wanted to you could start sharing your images with family friends from here.

Just pay attention to the size options - and always go for original size.

As you don't have a particularly large collection, this is going to be something that could work quite nicely for you. You could buy external drives or back them up to DVD too as a secondary form of backup, but as a first port of call, I'd use the skydrive service.

Also, as another option - you could try uploading them to pix.ie for free or flickr for paid (maxes out at 100 files for free a/c and they have a max resolution they will give you your files back as on the free a/c too). Upload your images to either service and select private in the security options for them.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

I recommend http://www.jungledisk.com/ plus http://s3.amazonaws.com. Three different datacenters and file encryption if you're worried about your images being stolen.

I have 60+ Gigs of RAW files up there and it cost me 10-12 Euro a month. It's not free, but you get what you pay for.

-Doug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭thebullkf

sorry to hi-jack the thread but can you recommend software that will do this autimatically?

i have thousands of pics.....prob over 10,000:eek:

also somewhere i could get em printed off.

i was gonna use Foto.com..but the the thought of uploading that many pics is daunting....

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

Speaking as someone who recently lost alot of photographs when one of my external drives failed...

I currently have two hard-drives connected to my machine and I regularly copy off my photographs onto DVD's as an added extra. Doubling up, always a good idea!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you could pick up a couple of USB keys for a tenner or so, too, that would be more than adequate for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭DougL

K_user wrote: »
    I currently have two hard-drives connected to my machine and I regularly copy off my photographs onto DVD's as an added extra. Doubling up, always a good idea!

What will you do if your house burns down, or is broken into? Maybe that sounds paranoid to some, but I would be absolutely devastated if I lost my photographs. That's why I use redundant online storage.

-Doug

i have (as of yesterday) 99.9GB of photos; i've two internal HDs, and there's a full copy on each, and in case of fire or theft, two external HDs - one currently in my brother's house, and one in my dad's house, also with a copy of my photos directory on each. most recent mirror was done about a month of go to these. i do a mirror to the internal backup copy every time i add more photos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭davmigil

thebullkf wrote: »
    sorry to hi-jack the thread but can you recommend software that will do this autimatically?

i have thousands of pics.....prob over 10,000:eek:

also somewhere i could get em printed off.

i was gonna use Foto.com..but the the thought of uploading that many pics is daunting....

thanks

For Windows check out SyncBac. Freeware version is pretty good and will do everything you need (including scheduling and emailing a log file if there is a problem with the back-up running). They have paid for ones as well with extra features also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭thebullkf

davmigil wrote: »
    For Windows check out SyncBac. Freeware version is pretty good and will do everything you need (including scheduling and emailing a log file if there is a problem with the back-up running). They have paid for ones as well with extra features also.

cheers. will check it out:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I'm suprised no one thought of this, to be honest.

What I do is, get a good webhost who does regular backups (I'm with letshost.ie and they do one every 6), when you are putting your photos on your computer, FTP Them to your webhost - and you get an instant backup, that you can access and if anything ever happens them, they use offsite backup systems etc. to keep everything secure (They do all the hard work for you ;) )

And it only costs about €8/m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

Hi

Cheers

I use Mozy.com. It backs up my photos and family videos. I think I paid about €50 for 24months online storage. It is easy to set up and you can get it to upload whenever you want. The 99Gb you have will take a while to back-up (depends on your broadband connection). Once the main bulk is uploaded it is a lot easier to control.

http://www.onlinebackupsreview.com/mozy.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

I'm suprised no one thought of this, to be honest.

What I do is, get a good webhost who does regular backups (I'm with letshost.ie and they do one every 6), when you are putting your photos on your computer, FTP Them to your webhost - and you get an instant backup, that you can access and if anything ever happens them, they use offsite backup systems etc. to keep everything secure (They do all the hard work for you ;) )

And it only costs about €8/m

Three possible reasons why people don't do this :

(1) Relatively low file storage limit, depending on your hosting package
    (2) Backups may not be available to you, or taken frequently enough to be useful
    (3) Many hosting services specifically forbid this in their TOS

I suspect all of these might apply to letshost - worth checking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Cameraman wrote: »
    Three possible reasons why people don't do this :

(1) Relatively low file storage limit, depending on your hosting package
    (2) Backups may not be available to you, or taken frequently enough to be useful
    (3) Many hosting services specifically forbid this in their TOS

I suspect all of these might apply to letshost - worth checking

There is nothing like that in the TOS with letshost :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Cameraman

There is nothing like that in the TOS with letshost :O

OK - but some or all do apply to other hosts.

I had a quick look at letshost TOS :

"Lets Host keeps backups of key server systems only and these backups are not available for customer use. Lets Host can accept no responsibility for any loss of data or consequences arising from this. Lets Host always advises clients to back up their site data regularly for their own protection. Other backup systems provided are given as a courtesy only, and should not be depended upon for ensuring your data is secure."

Hmmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Heebie wrote: »
    and some of those sites.. once you upload your photo to them.. they own the copyright on it, and can then sell it without any further say-so from yourself. Read all the finestored in several locations... and might even include version histories.

Really ??? not flickr, which sites ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭K_user

What will you do if your house burns down, or is broken into? Maybe that sounds paranoid to some, but I would be absolutely devastated if I lost my photographs. That's why I use redundant online storage.

-Doug
    Way to depress a guy :D

If someone breaks into my house chances are they will make off with my TV's, computer stuff, my camera stuff, the stuff belong to my wife, my DVD collection...unlikely to care about a small bunch of DVD-R's sitting by themselves - least I hope not!

As for the burning down thing - surely the total loss of everything I own won't be made any better by having held onto a few random landscape shots? :(

And on the other point, devastation isn't the word. I lost an entire years worth of photographs, including the first year of my second child.

Backup please people!

Advertisement