Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dented door in car park

• 04-07-2010 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭

Well guys

I was in a car park today and the weather was extremly windy. As I opened my car door the wind took it and bounced it off the car next to me leaving a nice size dent. I, being the fu*king muppet that I am paniced and said screw this and drove away ASAP! Now I know this was the wrong thing to do and about 5 minutes down the road once I had calmed down i realised this and decided to go back and own up to what happened. Thing is the car was gone! Is there anything that I can do now only wait and see do they trace my details because I'm sure there was cameras....
    I've no problem paying up and know I should have waited but I got into a panic and legged it. I didn't get the reg of the car either

Any advice please would be great cause I'm sh1tin a brick now!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

alan1990 wrote: »
    Well guys

I was in a car park today and the weather was extremly windy. As I opened my car door the wind took it and bounced it off the car next to me leaving a nice size dent. I, being the fu*king muppet that I am paniced and said screw this and drove away ASAP! Now I know this was the wrong thing to do and about 5 minutes down the road once I had calmed down i realised this and decided to go back and own up to what happened. Thing is the car was gone! Is there anything that I can do now only wait and see do they trace my details because I'm sure there was cameras....
    I've no problem paying up and know I should have waited but I got into a panic and legged it. I didn't get the reg of the car either

Even if they do track you, the chances of them proving that it was you who caused the dent are slim-to-none. It is also likely that since the person drove away so soon that they did not even notice the dent, and may not for a time. When they do they may not link it to the car park. It was a crappy thing to drive away though, though I suppose you redeemed yourself slightly by coming back. Only just though, only just. Time to get a moped my good man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

well i would not be botherd about it, ive stoped counting the times my doors being banged, but now we have a zafira which has a black 2 inch border around all the doors so if some muppet who dont hold the doors on a windy day like to day wont damage them. how close did you park you car to the other one, was it there before you. bet you will be more carfull next time you venture out. but why did you get mad at what happend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40 Fallon2304

Well guys

It's that attitude which is the reason I park in the most remote part of any car park. Perhaps you should open your door with more due care and attention the next time.

It's extremely unlikely you'll find the car you dented. Just be more careful in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

cats.life wrote: »
    how close did you park you car to the other one, was it there before you. why did you get mad at what happend.

I was an average distance away from the other car, not to close and far enough away my door could build up a bit of speed!!! Yeah it was there before me!
    I really don't know because it was a pure accident so I don't know why I got so paniced or anything

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

i park in middle of two car spaces , when its not busy of course,:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

^ I like to park length ways across two disabled spots........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

You could get in touch with security at the car park and request that they review the footage of the incident and either give you the reg of the car you damaged or get them to explain the situation to the guards with the reg.

If this happened to my car I would be absolutely raging....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

I expect the owner of the car is tracking down your reg from the car park cameras. Expect revenge, soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Meh, my car is dinged all over and never anyone around to own up. People saying that the other car owner is out for revenge are talking out their arses, most car park CCTV's are crap and even if they were good, the chances of them being good enough to read a number plate a very small.

So, just dont forget the lessons learned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Thanks for the replies everyone! Tbh I'm surprised how many people are saying it will come to nothing, I am full expecting the guards to turn up at my door! Hopefully thats just me over-reacting though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I am full expecting the guards to turn up at my door!

don't worry about that, you'll probably be taken out by a sniper, or maybe poisoned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

We get so worked up about these things over here and rightly so.

But in Spain it seems to be a common occurence to dent other cars and to bump into them while driving out of a parallel parking space. They don't seem too bothered by it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Well in fairness the wind today is unreal, could have happened to the most careful person. Probably won't amount to anything so I guess you dodged a bullet, just try to learn from the experience and be careful in future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭bijapos

Firstly Alan, fair play to you for owning up. It might have taken you 5 minutes but its the thought that counts.

What you do now is go to the management of the car park and see if they have cameras, explain the situation and ask if they can come up with a registration number.

Also contact the local Garda station (no you will not be done for this) and tell them what happened in case the other car owner contacts them.

Btw, where did it happen and what kind of a car was it, someone here might know the owner, long shot but it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

bijapos wrote: »
    Firstly Alan, fair play to you for owning up.

He didn't own up, he drove off straight away. He's talking like he feels guilty now, but he really just seems to be after an assurance that he's gotten away scot free.

If you're serious about making reparations OP, then go and see if the CCTV can help.

Otherwise, the only way that you can pay your karmic debt is to go outside and kick a dent into the door of your own car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭cats.life

the guards wont do anything about a dent in a car, no one got hurt, dints happen every day. next time i am going to take down the reg number of cars who are parked next to me just incase bigger dints happen, being dinted is a pain ,we have a silver car so it wont show up so badly if it was a darker colour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

it all depends on the owner of the other car. my gf was parked in a shopping center one day. came out to find the drivers side front and back door dented in. told me about it that night. i asked her did she go in looking to see the cctv footage or ring the cops first? she done neither. said the car was only a banger anyway. (02 seat cordoba. wasnt in the best of nick bit still) thats why she never gets to drive mine!!
    if it was me regardless of what car i would be demanding cctv footage and be on too the cops straight away.. if they done nothing i would stake out the car park in the hope of seeing someone with damage to there car that looked like it caused the damage to mine.. i wont say what would happen next!!

impr0v wrote: »
    Otherwise, the only way that you can pay your karmic debt is to go outside and kick a dent into the door of your own car.

Ya that'll solve everything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If the owner doesn't track you down but you want to balance your karma you can pay to have the dent in my passenger door fixed, I wont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭CarMuppet

argosy2006 wrote: »
    i park in middle of two car spaces , when its not busy of course,:D

+1. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

@ op

you sir are a cad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Badparking.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

I parked in the car park of the local garage a couple of weeks ago. As I opened the door the wind took it a bit & it 'touched' the car beside me. I apologised to the driver sitting in the car & thought no more about it. When I came out from the garage he was waiting for me & said I had dented his car. I said 'No way' & opened the door to show point of contact. The dent he showed me was a good 5 inches away from this. He apologised but I was glad the two cars were still parked & I could prove this. I don't think you could be done for this unless the camera showed your car door hitting his, with both reg numbers visible (highly unlikely) but lessons learnt & all that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

Well guys

I don't suppose this happened in Liffey Valley in Dublin did it?
    If so, it was my car that you dented.

If it wasn't you, let me tell you, as someone who has had this happen to them today, it is a really crappy thing for you to drive off like that.
    I understand that it is a scary thing when this happens, but that is someones property you have damaged.
    My door now has a sizeable dent and I am probably going to have to pay to get it fixed out of my own pocket for someone elses mess up.
    Yes, it was windy today, and as such, I took extreme care opening my car door. You clearly did not.
    It was obviously a mistake, it happens, but it was YOUR mistake, not the owner of the car.
    Had you even simply stuck around, or left a note, I'm sure it would not have been made into a big deal.

If it was in Liffey Valley, and it was a light blue punto you hit, feel free to PM me.
    If it was not, I just hope you know what a horrible thing you did today (the running, not the actual accident), that karma does come around.

F

Fiii wrote: »
    a light blue punto you hit

F

Leave it off, nuff said :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Fiii

shaaane wrote: »
    Leave it off, nuff said :D

What, just because I don't drive a Merc or a BMW it's ok to hit my car?

Advertisement