Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESPN

• 04-07-2010 4:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering, what leagues were ESPN showing last year? Thought this would be easy enough to find online, but having more trouble than I thought. Have any been confirmed as definites again for this year? Trying to weigh up whether its worth getting, the Premiership football alone wouldn't be enough to sway me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,518 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

They definitely showed weekly live SerieA and Bundesliga games last season.
    I'm almost sure they had the contract for the Scottish league and Dutch League as well.

Might be worth bearing in mind that they have less English Premier League this coming season than last, 23 this season as opposed to 46 last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

I think they had Russian football last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,409 ✭✭✭xtal191

Dutch football too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,622 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Portuguese I think too? Not too bothered about the less Premiership, do they have any live French football? Or any other less popular leagues?

I dont recall there being any french games, pretty sure they showed a few games from Portugal. They mostly have German and Italian matches!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Seria A, Russian Premier, Eredivisie, Bundesliga, EPL, SPL, Europa League.

I think there was supposed to be the Portugese League too but don't recall seeing any. I do recall however seeing the odd one or 2 delayed MLS games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

ESPN's are decent plus they have a HD channel. They have also added a US Sports HD channel which I have never watched as I dont like Baseball, Basketball or Ice Hockey. They are going to show NFL games though this year which is alright. Aside from soccer this year they have Guinness Premiership rugby plus UFC, not sure what else.

Soccer - they normally show 2 live Serie A matches, a live Dutch game, a live SPL game, 2 live Bundesliga games. The odd time they might show a live Russian, Portuguese or MLS game though these are normally shown during midweek as repeats as they have practically no live sport during the week. As someone said their EPL fixtures has halved from 46 to 23, they have lost the Monday night fixture too. It is still prob worth the 12e a month if youre into your soccer but midweek there is nothing.

Plus be warned last season they didnt have the rights to show the Europa League games in the ROI, just a blank screen. So maybe check if this has been rectified for the coming season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Warper wrote: »

Soccer - they normally show 2 live Serie A matches,

Hopefully that will increase this season. Serie A fixtures are going to be more spread out over the weekends.

Hopefully that will increase this season. Serie A fixtures are going to be more spread out over the weekends.

Ya and last season they also showed some live Copa Italia games at least towards the latter stages.

ESPN's are decent plus they have a HD channel. They have also added a US Sports HD channel which I have never watched as I dont like Baseball, Basketball or Ice Hockey. They are going to show NFL games though this year which is alright. Aside from soccer this year they have Guinness Premiership rugby plus UFC, not sure what else.

Soccer - they normally show 2 live Serie A matches, a live Dutch game, a live SPL game, 2 live Bundesliga games. The odd time they might show a live Russian, Portuguese or MLS game though these are normally shown during midweek as repeats as they have practically no live sport during the week. As someone said their EPL fixtures has halved from 46 to 23, they have lost the Monday night fixture too. It is still prob worth the 12e a month if youre into your soccer but midweek there is nothing.

Plus be warned last season they didnt have the rights to show the Europa League games in the ROI, just a blank screen. So maybe check if this has been rectified for the coming season.

Huh?? I remember watching a few Europa League matches on ESPN!

• Advertisement

xtal191 wrote: »
    Huh?? I remember watching a few Europa League matches on ESPN!

?? I even rang up Sky about it. They didnt have the rights to Europa League matches in the ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

?? I even rang up Sky about it. They didnt have the rights to Europa League matches in the ROI.

This is true. Channel was blocked in ROI when Europa league was on.
    TV3 was the channel that had the rights here I think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Maybe he had a Chorus NTL (or whatever they're called now) box? I do and was able to watch the Europa League on ESPN no bother

Yeah i have NTL, the matches def werent blocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Last Season:

Live

Premiership
    Seria A
    Bundesliga
    Russian Premier
    Eredivisie
    Europa League
    International Friendlies
    Coppa Italia

Delayed / Highlights

All of the above
    MLS
    Scottish Premier
    Portuguese

+ ESPN Classic shows a variety of interesting stuff
    and if you have any interest in American sport ESPN America is absolutely essential

Total service gets the thumbs up from me! :)

Also, the Europa league stuff above is total bull****. They showed a bunch of matches from that competition on ESPN. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Just a tip if you are getting ESPN, I rang them up about a month ago to price it as i wanted to watch UFC on it, they said 16 euro a month, I said No thanks and they offered it to me for free for 3 months. I'm not saying it will definitely work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,391 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Also, the Europa league stuff above is total bull****. They showed a bunch of matches from that competition on ESPN. :confused:

It's not total bull****, it was just a misunderstanding. It was blocked on Sky but from what everyone is saying Chorus/UPC was fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Yes, people who had ESPN on Sky couldn't access the Europa League games.

More frequent Serie A games, one or two Bundesliga games and nice mix of MLS and I'll be happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    It's not total bull****, it was just a misunderstanding. It was blocked on Sky but from what everyone is saying Chorus/UPC was fine.

Oh okay. Why did Sky block it?

Advertisement