Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bike insurance

• 04-07-2010 4:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Im told there are just three insurers in Ireland that insure bikes, Carole Nash, AON and Quinn, Ive applied to all three.

Carole Nash and AON wont quote me because Im a beginner with a learner permit on an unrestircted 125.
    Quinn offered me a quote of 460 a year for thrid party cover, is this good?
    I went for it.

Is that pretty much it for insurance for a beginner?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It depends on how old your are and where you live. If it's the cheapest then yes. You can also try Adelaide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Adelaide wont insure 125cc, or learner riders, or riders with no NCD :(

€460 is a lot cheaper than when i started on a 125.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 oopsbuddy

Apologies for hijacking this thread, but have a similar query about bike insurance. Am 47, have had a full bike licence for 30+ years (car too, etc), and am looking into buying a Honda CX500 for pleasure. The newest one will be almost 30 years old, so classic bike cover should be an option. Who does it, how much is is likely to cost? Should I ask my current car insurer for a quote (I have a full No Claims Discount)? Many thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

oopsbuddy wrote: »
    Apologies for hijacking this thread, but have a similar query about bike insurance. Am 47, have had a full bike licence for 30+ years (car too, etc), and am looking into buying a Honda CX500 for pleasure. The newest one will be almost 30 years old, so classic bike cover should be an option. Who does it, how much is is likely to cost? Should I ask my current car insurer for a quote (I have a full No Claims Discount)? Many thanks

A colleague just got insurance in an SV650 for €280 in similar situation to yours...

cantdecide wrote: »
    A colleague just got insurance in an SV650 for €280 in similar situation to yours...

Thanks, but who covered him....even though an SV650 isn't going to qualify as a "Classic Bike". Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

oopsbuddy wrote: »
    Thanks, but who covered him....even though an SV650 isn't going to qualify as a "Classic Bike". Cheers

The classic thing could be the difference alright but it was Quinn actually and it was fully comp...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Sorry to drag up this again, but I'm in pretty much the same situation —just a year younger and foolisher than you, oopsbuddy! ;)
    How did you get on?/Who did you go with in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭gipi

I thought I read somewhere that Quinn don't insure classic bikes, which reduces the choice somewhat!

Hi Peckerhead, we meet again! Remember your Canon camera?

Anyway, Quinn were a pain in the neck to deal with when looking for a quote. After a very lengthy questionnaire over the phone, in which she wanted more personal details about my life than I thought she had a right to ask, and during which she refused to budge from her script, we EVENTUALLY and FINALLY got to "Details of the motorcycle". When I said it was a 'classic' (1983), she THEN said that Quinn don't cover bikes over 25 years old! (If I could have reached down the phone....!!)

I got a quote from Carole Nash for €300 for TPFT (TP only is not an option for them when covering a classic), or €400 for FC. Aon were more expensive than that, and I have yet to complete my quotation with Adelaide. I will update this post later today though, because my new very old bike will be here tomorrow! Remember though, the price isn't the only factor - some insurers will provide more extras than others, eg, riding other bikes, breakdown cover, both here and abroad, so I will do more homework today and report back later today.:)

After some persuasive arm-bending over the phone today with Adelaide, and with teh help of a very courteous and helpful young bloke, I got their cheapest MINIMUM PREMIUM level for FC cover. They will charge a minimum of €200 per policy regardless of TP, TPFT or FC, so my FC quote was €202 + €40 admin fee, total €242. Not bad I think! On the downside, no breakdown cover for any bike over 10 years old (mine's 27!), but it does cover me (TP only) to ride other bikes, and 45 days p.a. abroad. I will see if I can use this to beat Carole Nash into better offers, but I am not confident! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

happy to hear you've having positive experiences with adelaide - I've had nothing but the same myself. Great guys on the phone, eager for your business, and seem to know bikes themselves

Makes a difference to Aon (noone answers the phone), and Quinn (who seem to generate quotes and bogus responses via a giant wheel of fortune wheel)

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭.17hmr

Well after a few years away from the bikes i am going to do it all propper as i never did before and got quotes from quinn who wont quote me on any thing over 250cc so for a 250 cbr/rr fullycomp it 815 yoyo tpft 667 tp 574.not too bad so rang c/nash for a cbr 400 rr its fullycomp 1200 yoyo tpft 846 tp 616 a lot better i thought any one think the same.

Well hi there, oopsbuddy - small world, indeed! :D Hope the Canon is going strong?

You certainly seem to have been getting better quotes than me from both CN and Adelaide — possibly because the CB-1 400 I'm looking to insure is classed as a 'grey' import and (I think) has a higher bhp rating than your old CX500. I have great memories of driving to France and back on one of those ...enjoy it!

AON aren't interested until I have a couple of years NCB; Quinn seem uninterested in doing business at all. Best I've been able to do with my own CB-1 (also 20+ years old) is with Adelaide — €432 TPFT or €313 TP only. I think I'll probably go for the latter, because I only paid about €500 for the bike on eBay.

I saw your post over on irishbikerforum - I'd say jump at that quote from CN for €294 FC — on condition it covers you to carry a pillion passenger, if that's important to you. I initially thought I'd got a good quote from them, but it turned out to exclude carrying passengers and driving other bikes (Zenith was the underwriter). I don't mind not driving other bikes, at least initially, but I do want to be able to take the missus for a spin occasionally ...if she behaves herself. ;)

Good man peckerhead, glad to hear we have even more common interests! Perhaps we'll eventually meet on a IBF rdieout sometime soon? You should make yourself known - but I don't recommend hanging a sign around your neck saying "Peckerhead"! Look forward...! Anyway, I went with CN in the end for a number of reasons; they have a lower excess (€150 v €250), they included legal cover and breakdown cover (up to 4 times a year), it DOES include pillion cover (and I got them to check and confirm that the breakdown cover benefits also apply in full to the pillion (hotel, transport home etc). They also took credit card payment for no additional charge (unlike most where you need to pay by Laser or get charged extra), and (very important to me in my "classic bike" circumstances), they allow you to suspend cover during the winter, or for other circumstances, several times during the year, and you get a refund (there may be a charge, but I don't think so!). So all in all, it costs a little more than Adelaide, but teh cover is better, especially the breakdown cover. See you sometime soon! ;)

See ya out there... ;)

Advertisement