Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fisheye lens

• 04-07-2010 4:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭

Looking for one for a Canon EOS 7D. It's not for me so I'm a little bit out of my depth here but I thought this would be the right place to ask. I'm not planning on spending an awful lot on it but obviously I want to get something that's of decent quality. I wanted to get this one but unfortunately Amazon won't ship that to here (I was sure they shipped this sort of thing before!). I could get it on the .com site but it'll cost me €82 in total I think. Is that worth it?

Is there a better alternative out there?

Thanks in advance, appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Balfey1972

Renn wrote: »
    Looking for one for a Canon EOS 7D. It's not for me so I'm a little bit out of my depth here but I thought this would be the right place to ask. I'm not planning on spending an awful lot on it but obviously I want to get something that's of decent quality. I wanted to get this one but unfortunately Amazon won't ship that to here (I was sure they shipped this sort of thing before!). I could get it on the .com site but it'll cost me €82 in total I think. Is that worth it?

Is there a better alternative out there?

Thanks in advance, appreciate it.

I ordered a lens going back a few years directly from Opetka.
    Try there own site here. You will pay import charges, so keep and eye out elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

They aren't worth 82 quid tbh. They are cheap glass and will give bad image quality.

The fisheye question comes up time and time again. You get what you pat for. a real fisheye lens costs about 700-800 quid, so at 1/10th of the price you'll be lucky to get 1/10th of the quality.

Cheaper fisheye adapters can be gotten on ebay for about €10 or thereabouts so go look there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

i have a sigma 8mm fisheye

although on an aps-c it doesnt give a full circle two sides are cropped off if that makes sense

I got it to use for 360 vr photos and works well for this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

pete4130 wrote: »
    They aren't worth 82 quid tbh. They are cheap glass and will give bad image quality.

The fisheye question comes up time and time again. You get what you pat for. a real fisheye lens costs about 700-800 quid, so at 1/10th of the price you'll be lucky to get 1/10th of the quality.

Cheaper fisheye adapters can be gotten on ebay for about €10 or thereabouts so go look there.

Well I think the person realises that the quality won't be the greatest so is not overly worried about that. No point in paying 800 quid if it's not really for you.

I'm just after thinking, I could get it sent to a relative in the UK for free and get them to send it on to me for the 50 quid - that's probably a better idea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Just try and pick up a second hand one at a more attractive price. I love my fisheye and glad I didn't scrimp on it.

• Advertisement

But this one seems good for the price, no? :S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

You want to be careful.. I think the particular lens you mentioned isn't really a lens.. it looks like an adapter that goes on the end of a lens. It may very well do the job.. but you can probably pick up a "real" lens used somewhere without spending too horribly much more. You can buy a new fisheye zoom for under €500 I think. (I spent less than that on my 10-17mm fisheye zoom.) A prime fisheye will actually cost more, I think... but you do get what you pay for.

I wanted to get this one

Cheers, now I'm all confused :D Out of my depth here as I'm buying it for somebody else!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I have been having a lot of fun with the Samyang 8mm Fisheye. It's not that expensive and is good value for money on a cropped sensor body. Just check that it's compatible with the 7D, but it works great on my D300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

I've been hankering for a fisheye for a long while now, but the budget options always put me off, while I wasn't willing to spend 700 on the Nikon 10.5mm and it's not something that pops up that often for sale used.
    How did you find the Samyang in quality?

• Advertisement

So can anyone confirm if the one I'm thinking of buying is actually a lens?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

As mentioned no, it's an adapter. It's mentioned on the Amazon page you linked to. Did you read the product description/user reviews?

Yeah I did but I'm not too clued in as to what I should be looking out for. I saw this bit:

Included - .20x Fisheye Lens, Lens Adapter, 52mm Adapter, 55mm Adapter, 58mm Adapter, Lens Caps, Lens Pouch

and thought that it was good to get.

Oh well :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Included - .20x Fisheye Lens, Lens Adapter, 52mm Adapter, 55mm Adapter, 58mm Adapter, Lens Caps, Lens Pouch
    :(
    The reason you get so many adapters is so it can fit onto a lot of different lenses. I'd steer clear of it, save up and then wait until a second hand one comes up.

But what about this part:

".20x Fisheye Lens"

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

But what about this part:

".20x Fisheye Lens"

?

Marketing/Bullsh*t - take your pick

Ha, thanks. Well, certainly was worthwhile posting here for advice, appreciate it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what that means is that it'll reduce the focal length of your lens to one fifth of what it was.
    i.e. a 50mm lens would become a 10mm lens.

Advertisement