Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.79c not the same as 79c

Options
  • 04-07-2010 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭

I was in Dunnes Stored today buying pepper sauce when I noticed the price was noted as .79c. I understood that this was obviously a pricing error and the decimal point should not have been included so I informed the supervisor. He was extremely rude to me and told me that this was a commonly understood way of euro pricing. I told him that it should either say €0.79 or 79c however he told me he would have to disagree with me. I told him he was wrong and he walked off and joked that he would do something about it right away.

Can 79cent be displayed as .79c?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Quite the pedant, aren't you?!

I see your point though, technically .79c is less than 1c. I agree, it should either be 79c or €0.79.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

fletch wrote: »
    I was in Dunnes Stored today buying pepper sauce when I noticed the price was noted as .79c. I understood that this was obviously a pricing error and the decimal point should not have been included so I informed the supervisor. He was extremely rude to me and told me that this was a commonly understood way of euro pricing. I told him that it should either say €0.79 or 79c however he told me he would have to disagree with me. I told him he was wrong and he walked off and joked that he would do something about it right away.

Typical ignorance of management in Dunnes

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

deccurley wrote: »
    Quite the pedant, aren't you?!
    Well I was actually being nice by pointing it out to him because some other customer could bring up 100packets of the sauce to the till and expect to pay 79cent (unlikely I know).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

You should have given him 1.00c and told him to keep the change. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Unfortunately stores don't have to stick to what the price tag displays. A price tag is only 'an offer to treat' (i.e. an invitation for you to make an offer for the good at that price) so legally they don't have to sell items to you at the price displayed. This way there ass is covered if there is an error.

• Advertisement

Unfortunately stores don't have to stick to what the price tag displays. A price tag is only 'an offer to treat' (i.e. an invitation for you to make an offer for the good at that price) so legally they don't have to sell items to you at the price displayed. This way there ass is covered if there is an error.
    I'm well aware of this however I was trying to be nice, in case he got some misinformed battle axe screaming that she wanted the sauce for 0.79cent later on in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

tbh in this case you were just being pedantic and as a result wasting the manager's time however he should have thanked you for highlighting the issue and left it at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

axer wrote: »
    tbh in this case you were just being pedantic and as a result wasting the manager's time however he should have thanked you for highlighting the issue and left it at that.

Christ you're worse. Spelling mistakes should be fixed by common course - this is little different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

noodler wrote: »
    Christ you're worse. Spelling mistakes should be fixed by common course - this is little different.
    So you think someone might genuinely mistake .79c as being less than a cent?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I would - but then I'm a pedant as well as a scientist. To me 0.79c means 79% of a cent.

However, I do know what they intended to say which was €0.79 or 79c.

• Advertisement

Of course not - I think that is missing the point.

If a sign said Tomato Ketsup instead of ketchup I would still now what they are selling but it doesn't mean the incorrect sign should remain indefinitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

OP, I'm with you just as soon as I see 0.79c in coins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dymo

I think a bit of common sense should prevail here. The manager probably has to put up with real complaints during the day and something this trivial doesn't seem important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Dymo wrote: »
    I think a bit of common sense should prevail here. The manager probably has to put up with real complaints during the day and something this trivial doesn't seem important.

Absolutely. If I was the manager, I doubt that I would have been able to keep a straight face! Listen OP, we get you're a pedant. But common sense has to prevail at some stage? You're insulting your own intelligence with stuff like this.

The supervisor was right - it's the commonly understood way. Why change something isn't broken?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Shame it wasnt Tesco or you could have gotten a lot of free pepper sauce! ;)

An error is an error and when pointed out, if even minor, the supervisor would do well to thank the customer for pointing it out. Getting argumentative over it when you're wrong seems silly.

discus wrote: »
    The supervisor was right - it's the commonly understood way. Why change something isn't broken?
    It's not a commonly understood way of pricing, it was an error. Yes common sense would tell people that the goods weren't <1cent but it was technically wrong.
    ShooterSF wrote: »
    An error is an error and when pointed out, if even minor, the supervisor would do well to thank the customer for pointing it out. Getting argumentative over it when you're wrong seems silly.
    Thank You. I was trying to be nice by pointing it out to him. I wasn't for one moment suggesting that I thought I should only be paying 0.79cent for the product. His reaction shocked me, as did his lack of intelligence.

Absolutely. If I was the manager, I doubt that I would have been able to keep a straight face! Listen OP, we get you're a pedant. But common sense has to prevail at some stage? You're insulting your own intelligence with stuff like this.

Really?

All I can remember in shops offhand is €0.79

They leave out the cent generally?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭djdunny

reminds me of this video i saw a few weeks ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2isSJKntbg&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

noodler wrote: »
    Really?

All I can remember in shops offhand is €0.79

They leave out the cent generally?

I've seen it in plenty of shops. The software packages used for scanning barcodes / doing prices checks and printing off the shelf-edge labels are usually very basic pieces of software. I think sometimes in my shop this happens where the cent abbreviation proceeds the number after the decimal point. No one (to my knowledge) has raised any issue of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Some of the posts here are so typical of the "Ahhh sure it'll be grand" mentality. Add to this a manager of a major national retailer who doesn't know the meaning of a decimal point, and it's little wonder Ireland is such a backwards little country...:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

You should have got existential and asked him why the pepper sauce was priced at 79% of the speed of light in a vacuum.

SSE

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Add to this a manager of a major national retailer who doesn't know the meaning of a decimal point, and it's little wonder Ireland is such a backwards little country...:o
    Yeh its pretty frightening...went back today and checked the price and it's still not updated
    copyofimg0809medium.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

They wouldn't be mistaken, isn't that the point?

At least the price on the right of the picture is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

copyofimg0809medium.jpg

From that picture it's pretty obvious what the price is, if you can't work it out I don't think you should be allowed out on your own

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

OP grow up a little. Did it make your day to waste the supervisor's time like that?

Almost everyone else will understand how much the item really is so the supervisor is correct in saying it's commonly undertsood. Next time you should be more productive and tell him what colour shirt and tie he is wearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Yawns wrote: »

Almost everyone else will understand how much the item really is so the supervisor is correct in saying it's commonly undertsood.

Doesn't make it right..

If Dunnes were to advertise .79% discount off pepper sauce in a campaign, would you expect 79% off?

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/consumer-affairs/consumer-protection/consumer-rights/consumer_advertising

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭babygirlz

Penisland wrote: »
    Typical ignorance of management in Dunnes

Really, just paint them all with the one brush, why don't you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

OP why dont you just report them if you're so concerned? see how far you get with that.

there's more to worry about in life than the .0000000001% of people who would actually think that the price in question was less than 1 cent.

whilst technically incorrect, I've seen this 'error' in tons of shops but kept it to myself cos I've got important things to do

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

As one poster said, prices on shelves are only invitations to treat, nothing else.
    I don't think anyone in the world would think that this price was actually 0.79c, if they really really did, then they have bigger problems in life than an apparent misprice on a shop shelf.

I get that it's technically incorrect, but thats what it is, a technicality.

Considering this currency/any supermarket under the Irish sun doesn't operate in amounts lower than 1c, it's fairly straightforward what is meant.

I genuinely don't think anyone in this world is stupid enough to bring one cent to the til to pay for this, and if they did, the till operator would obviously refuse, and the 'buyer' would have absolutely zero recourse, thank god.

This whole debate is completely pointless in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Aside from being incorrect a pricing error in Dunnes is no big deal, but what if the sales assistant in your pharmacy was equally ignorant/ careless?

0801ISMPFigure.jpg

http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/d/ismp_-_medication_safety/c/10158/

Advertisement