Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.79c not the same as 79c

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

This whole debate is completely pointless in my opinion.

This debate reminds me of... (start at 2:10)

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Aside from being incorrect a pricing error in Dunnes is no big deal, but what if the sales assistant in your pharmacy was equally ignorant/ careless?

0801ISMPFigure.jpg

http://www.uspharmacist.com/content/d/ismp_-_medication_safety/c/10158/

The difference between Dunnes and a chemist is huge. You could apply this argument to anything like "oh what if your bank put another zero or left a zero out on your mortgage application. It's an irrelevant comparison. The point is, it was Dunnes, it was for some pepper sauce. Thats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

Yawns wrote: »
    OP grow up a little. Did it make your day to waste the supervisor's time like that?
    No, I was actually trying to be helpful and was just stunned by his reaction. I started off the conversation by telling him, that I knew it was a pricing error and that I fully understood that the actual price was 79cent however the label was technically incorrect and should be changed. I never for one moment suggested that I should receive the product for .79c. I didn't expect the resulting confrontation and bad attitude from the manager.
    Almost everyone else will understand how much the item really is so the supervisor is correct in saying it's commonly undertsood.
    Yes while people will understand, it is not a common way of pricing products.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

The difference between Dunnes and a chemist is huge. You could apply this argument to anything like "oh what if your bank put another zero or left a zero out on your mortgage application. It's an irrelevant comparison. The point is, it was Dunnes, it was for some pepper sauce. Thats it.

Banks are a good example - the regulator and those in charge shared your attitude for far too long..

In this case it's a small mistake but the attitude of the Dunnes employee (to the OP)really stinks. That clown could change job ( to a chemist or a bank)
    and make the same mistake with more serious consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

fletch wrote: »
    No, I was actually trying to be helpful and was just stunned by his reaction. I started off the conversation by telling him, that I knew it was a pricing error and that I fully understood that the actual price was 79cent however the label was technically incorrect and should be changed. I never for one moment suggested that I should receive the product for .79c. I didn't expect the resulting confrontation and bad attitude from the manager.
    Yes while people will understand, it is not a common way of pricing products.

I don't blame the manager, he probably gets silly complaints/feedback like this a few times a day and I think a manager should just laugh it off. It would be very different if you raised a concern about something that actually mattered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

Having worked in a very busy shop for 8 years and dealing with customer complaints every day I really think the issue here is not that the OP was looking for the goods for .79c but the attitude of the staff in the shop towards the public. It says a lot for the intelligence of the management in the shop that he didn't even see what the problem was, agreeing to disagree! However all he had to do was thank the customer and take the sign down rather than being rude and arguementative. And saying silly things like it is commonly understood, he missed the point completly, clearly it was understood it was a mistake as .79c doesn't exist, that still doesn't make it right to leave the mistake on public view. As seen from the photo there was another correct price on the shelf so all that needed to be done was remove the incorrect one leaving the correct one in place.
    If he can't handle the heat of working with the public he really shouldn't be working in customer relations, I personally would lodge a complain about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I recall going to a well known stationary shop on Nassau Street in Dublin looking for some stuff printed. The sign said .05C per page over 100 pages or something like that. I asked the sales assistant to clarify and they said no it's 5C a page, I did point out that the sign implied €0.0005 and he just looked confused the poor man I couldn't have been bothered trying to explain the basics of decimalisation to him so just carried on. I think this sort of sign is pretty common

Awesome-O wrote: »
    Having worked in a very busy shop for 8 years and dealing with customer complaints every day I really think the issue here is not that the OP was looking for the goods for .79c but the attitude of the staff in the shop towards the public. It says a lot for the intelligence of the management in the shop that he didn't even see what the problem was, agreeing to disagree! However all he had to do was thank the customer and take the sign down rather than being rude and arguementative. And saying silly things like it is commonly understood, he missed the point completly, clearly it was understood it was a mistake as .79c doesn't exist, that still doesn't make it right to leave the mistake on public view. As seen from the photo there was another correct price on the shelf so all that needed to be done was remove the incorrect one leaving the correct one in place.
    If he can't handle the heat of working with the public he really shouldn't be working in customer relations, I personally would lodge a complain about him.
    Thank You!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Shame it wasnt Tesco or you could have gotten a lot of free pepper sauce! ;)
    Yep, if it was tesco I would have cleaned them out, you often get staff there who seem to not particularly like tesco and so have no problem assisting you on taking advantage.

The last time I got overcharged in tesco they did not even bother to check the prices, they just believed me and gave me my cash back.
    some other customer could bring up 100packets of the sauce to the till and expect to pay 79cent (unlikely I know).
    I once had a shoal of donegal catch in my freezer, all free from tesco.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

rubadub wrote: »
    I once had a shoal of donegal catch in my freezer, all free from tesco.

haha love it :D and that is how Tesco keeps its customers happy.
    Think I might pop into Tesco on my way home to see if I can bag myself some freebies lmao!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,840 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Awesome-O wrote: »

The manager should of been polite and said he'll change the sign when he gets a chance and then just went on with his job doing nothing about it but didn't do this because he seen the issue as a very trivial matter of very little importance because 99.9% of the population would have better things to be doing with their lives then to tell a manager about a misprint that did not mislead anybody. I find making a complaint about this manager would just result in some amusement for people who work in Dunnes and take away from the genuine complaints that they recieve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭CrazySnakeLady

I was in Dunnes Stored today buying pepper sauce when I noticed the price was noted as .79c. I understood that this was obviously a pricing error and the decimal point should not have been included so I informed the supervisor. He was extremely rude to me and told me that this was a commonly understood way of euro pricing. I told him that it should either say €0.79 or 79c however he told me he would have to disagree with me. I told him he was wrong and he walked off and joked that he would do something about it right away.

Can 79cent be displayed as .79c?

Seriously, anal **** like this is the reason you're not getting laid dude :D

Seriously, anal **** like this is the reason you're not getting laid dude :D
    I can get laid any night of the week I want thank you very much :D

I can get laid any night of the week I want thank you very much :D

Except Sundays when you feel the need not to get laid but instead come onto the internet and complain about the placement of a decimal point? seriously if you were any more anal you'd be Carol Vorderman's Tampon.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Except Sundays when you feel the need not to get laid but instead come onto the internet and complain about the placement of a decimal point? seriously if you were any more anal you'd be Carol Vorderman's Tampon.

I really hope no one employs you to insert their tampons.

ShooterSF wrote: »
    I really hope no one employs you to insert their tampons.

Why? do you reckon that has EVER been advertised as a job discription?

You got me! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I must agree with the OP though, we educate people about spelling and basic maths as a life skill and then people go away and use text speak even when they are typing in a qwerty keyboard and don't display prices correctly. I know we should all know what it means but its their job to ensure their prices are right. Same as weights/units etc should be correct, its not a big ask.
    Not that i would complain to them about it mind but still

You got me! :)

I know :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

It is understood to be 79 cent tho. For those claiming how important it is to a bank it's different. By that logic I will show the same logic.

If your tax is just up and you are renewing a few days later a guard can give you a fine for it but will generally let you go. Why? Cos it's commonly understood you could be waiting for it in the post or waiting to get paid before going to the tax office.

NCT, you might be waiting 3 months for your test but a guard will let you through because it's commonly understood that the waiting times are huge.

Now why the **** would a Dunnes manager take that complaint seriously? He didn't go print up the sign. I've seen the same sign for another product so afaik each store is recieving them from head office. So should your manager take down all these signs and discard them, get into **** from head office, then expected to waste more resources on new signs because someone got anal over something which is commonly understood?

If the manager didn't burst out laughing in your face then he did his job pretty well by humouring you at best. Deserves a pint. Me? I'd have been laughing so hard you'd be trying to get me fired. I wish all I had to deal with was people moaning over a decimal point. The old women who moan over the eggs being moved to a shelf further down on the same asile have a better arguement tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

It is understood to be 79 cent tho. For those claiming how important it is to a bank it's different. By that logic I will show the same logic.

If your tax is just up and you are renewing a few days later a guard can give you a fine for it but will generally let you go. Why? Cos it's commonly understood you could be waiting for it in the post or waiting to get paid before going to the tax office.

NCT, you might be waiting 3 months for your test but a guard will let you through because it's commonly understood that the waiting times are huge.

Now why the **** would a Dunnes manager take that complaint seriously? He didn't go print up the sign. I've seen the same sign for another product so afaik each store is recieving them from head office. So should your manager take down all these signs and discard them, get into **** from head office, then expected to waste more resources on new signs because someone got anal over something which is commonly understood?

If the manager didn't burst out laughing in your face then he did his job pretty well by humouring you at best. Deserves a pint. Me? I'd have been laughing so hard you'd be trying to get me fired. I wish all I had to deal with was people moaning over a decimal point. The old women who moan over the eggs being moved to a shelf further down on the same asile have a better arguement tbh.

Well you did that all right cause NCTs and Car tax leniency is incomparable to making mistakes.

Yes it's understood as 79c but it is still a mistake. Something a professional should look to rectify. The best comparison in this thread so far is that of a spelling mistake. If I saw a sign up "Pepper sauce 79 cent or too four €1.20" I would understand that to mean "two for €1.20" so would most people. However if I owned the shop in which said sign resided I would be appreciative of people like the OP who pointed out my error. I sure as hell wouldn't get defensive and insinuate he was being pedantic.

Update - I don't really care about the sign anymore but the more I think about the way I was treated the more annoyed I'm getting. So I emailed Head Office and told them. I get an email back saying they will deal with the issue. I drop into Dunnes on my way home yesterday only to find that they've moved the sauces to the bottom shelf but left the incorrect sign in place! :confused: No apology for the managers attitude and lack of customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Jeez; the nature of this complaint makes what is discussed on Liveline every day seem like matters of international importance.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

I agree with the OP, yes it may just be a small mistake and he noticed it. Common Knowledge does make us realise its 79c but you've all pointed out how anal the OP is, this leads me to believe there are plenty more anal people in the world. So if one really anal tight arse comes along and think oh i might just buy 100 of these for 79c and bitches and moans till he gets them well then the managers is at fault because he done nothing with the complaint. Now your probably all thinking "oh who in there right mind would do that" well the world is fully of odd balls. Who in there right mind would commit crimes that would lead to life in jail?
    Also the manager is not very good at his job, fair enough if he thinks its not a valid complaint but you don't give out to the customer, you treat them nicely, otherwise you lose customers. Words spread and maybe more people will stop shopping there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

So if one really anal tight arse comes along and think oh i might just buy 100 of these for 79c and bitches and moans till he gets them well then the managers is at fault because he done nothing with the complaint.

He wont get them. A mis-pricing (particularly one of this nature) does not constitute an offer which a customer is entitled to accept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Which store was this in if you dont mind me asking?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

drkpower wrote: »
    He wont get them. A mis-pricing (particularly one of this nature) does not constitute an offer which a customer is entitled to accept.

True but its still a miss-pricing which means that if you notify the shop and they fail to price things correctly by correcting the pricing error then they are in breach of the law.

So yes he's not entitled to get the product for the price displayed but the shop has a duty of care to display the correct price especially after they've been told its wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Is the OP not more upset over the Supervisor/Managers attitude more than the pricing itself?

Regardless of how daft a question is, If the Manager/Sup gave the OP are smartass answer or got thick with him or laughed it off he/she was in the wrong. He/she should always be professional regardless of how daft he thinks something is. Ask yourself had that Manager/Sup saw one of their staff members do the same thing, Do you think he wouldn't have said something to the staff member for not being professional at all times? I bet you anything the Staff member would have gotten chewed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

Not mad about the Hollandaise but the Creamy Pepper Sauce is pretty good. Wonder which one the OP was going to buy before he had a fit of the vapours. Actually though, the idea of some battleaxe beating some ignorant Dunnes Stores minor manager over the head with a packet of dried Hollandaise Sauce is interesting. Think I'll send the Missus in tomorrow!

• Advertisement

Nolimits wrote: »
    Which store was this in if you dont mind me asking?
    Why do you ask? I got a friend to drop in today and the pricing has been removed.

Advertisement