Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FCA2

Options
  • 04-07-2010 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭

Where in the ammendment section can one apply for a moderator?

I'm putting one on my .308 and I am raging now I did not apply for one in the first place.
    The form
    http://www.garda.ie/Documents/User/FCA2%20Firearm%20Certificate%20Amendment%20or%20Cancellation%20Form[1].pdf

I do not see any mention of moderator, if numbers details are to be changed it can be done.

However no mention of a poxy Moderator.

Lord I wish I had heeded my own advice and applied
    I did not think at the time (Last October) that I could get custom work done on a VTR type barrel.

Now I know it can be done, and have seen it done.
    So I want to put on a Mod on my .308 and I can't find the place on the form.

I'm sure some of the Legal Eagles out their can advise me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Hi tac, not sure about this (and I'm sure one of the more legally minded will come along shortly to correct me), but AFAIK you need to apply for authorisation of the moderator from your super as a separate item.

What i did was submit the FAC1 form (as an application), but only tick the "moddy" box (i.e. no firearms details etc), and include as letter requesting authorisation. The wording I used used was:

"Under Section 7 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990, I herewith request your authorisation as Superintendent of an Garda Siochana to possess and use the abovementioned moderator" etc. etc.

And gave my eight reasons why I really really needed a moddy.

The moddy is technically defined (by the PTB) as a firearm, but if being used with an unrestricted firearm needs to be authorised by the Super. You will need to apply using the FAC1 form (not the FAC2) and submit your reasons for needing it.

The bad news is that this will be treated as a new FAC1 application and will require you to fork out another €80 if granted the authorisation to have the moddy.

If this makes no sense to you, don't worry - It makes absolutely no sense to me either!!!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Thats pretty much it dCorbus.

A moderator is treated as a firearm and requires an application/authorisation either along with the application for the firearm or seperately (at a later date). Either way its €80 for it (if granted) as it was not applied for when applying for the rifle itself.

P.I.T.A. - :rolleyes:
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

i will be movi soon and was hopin to sneak a mod onto the licence when changin address so will this cost me 80 even do the address change is free?

tommy:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

dCorbus wrote: »
    Hi tac, not sure about this (and I'm sure one of the more legally minded will come along shortly to correct me), but AFAIK you need to apply for authorisation of the moderator from your super as a separate item.

What i did was submit the FAC1 form (as an application), but only tick the "moddy" box (i.e. no firearms details etc), and include as letter requesting authorisation. The wording I used used was:

"Under Section 7 of the Firearms and Offensive Weapons Act 1990, I herewith request your authorisation as Superintendent of an Garda Siochana to possess and use the abovementioned moderator" etc. etc.

And gave my eight reasons why I really really needed a moddy.

The moddy is technically defined (by the PTB) as a firearm, but if being used with an unrestricted firearm needs to be authorised by the Super. You will need to apply using the FAC1 form (not the FAC2) and submit your reasons for needing it.

The bad news is that this will be treated as a new FAC1 application and will require you to fork out another €80 if granted the authorisation to have the moddy.

If this makes no sense to you, don't worry - It makes absolutely no sense to me either!!!!!
    That makes perfect sence in an insane world dC. Typically Irish, I was hoping an ammend would slip through as a freebie
    Lord mary, That is some load of fertilizer.

€80 feck it anyway.

I must do that then so.
    So for all future applicants out there.

APPLY FOR A MOD IF YOU NEED ONE OR NOT!!

And don't get caught out like me :D

All of this I could have done severasl months ago if I had heeded my own advice, tick all on forms to get all!:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Firstly all silencers are unrestricted as of SI 337

Secondly, you have the option of asking your Superintendent for an authorisation as opposed to a licence. The advantage is that (a) it doesn't cost anything and (b) it gives you the opportunity of applying for it with your rifle when its renewal comes around again. Otherwise it's possible* that your silencer and rifle licences will always be out of sync and will cost you €80 each time.

*I say possible because it's not certain that this is what'll happen because we're in uncharted territory.

The disadvantage is that the authorisation has to be applied for every year and depends on the good will of your local Superintendent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

rrpc wrote: »
    Firstly all silencers are unrestricted as of SI 337

Secondly, you have the option of asking your Superintendent for an authorisation as opposed to a licence. The advantage is that (a) it doesn't cost anything and (b) it gives you the opportunity of applying for it with your rifle when its renewal comes around again. Otherwise it's possible* that your silencer and rifle licences will always be out of sync and will cost you €80 each time.

*I say possible because it's not certain that this is what'll happen because we're in uncharted territory.

The disadvantage is that the authorisation has to be applied for every year and depends on the good will of your local Superintendent.

Well the way they are retiring these days that could be a local super every year :D

If I get it for FREE that would be great, although not the end of the world if I pay for it.

I would prefer if all my licences were out of Sink!
    I have currently three up for renewal in 2 1/2 years time and another a few weeks later as is.

I do think it would be good advice for anyone wishing to buy a LOUD rifle to apply for a Mod whether they need it or not as it would save all this hassle down the road!!;)

I'll go in during the week so I'll find out for sure

Advertisement