Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing labels from recycled bottles...

Options
  • 04-07-2010 5:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭

Does anyone have any hints on the best way to remove labels from beer and wine bottles??

I have been soaking them for 2-3 days but even that doesn't get all the glue off, so does anyone have any hints or tips?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Superdaddy

Try white spirits.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

I use a sharpe knife and scrape the label and glue off, while I rinse it under hot water. Always works! Doesn't take a minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

Some labels I find need a few weeks to come off, like Fullers bottles. Others like a lot of German Hefe's labels come off very easily. I would leave bottles in water for 2 weeks if you can and they should easily come off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I just soak em in water for a few days..mind you stuff like heiniken the labels never seem to come off so i dont bother.
    Whoever suggested soaking bottles in white spirit has obviously never tried to drink out of one afterwards..the taste is impossible to shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

After soaking for a few days any labels which wont come off I attack with a wire scrubber and some jif. Have to be careful not to let the jif get into the bottle, it's not something I would like to consume,so I hold the spout of the bottle with one hand, and scrub in a downwards motion away from the spout with the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Lgray

I've always put mine through the dishwasher and the labels come off themselves or just peel away when they come out of the machine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Thanks folks... the home brewing is actually the domain of Mrs05 and she asked me to post the question up. Her problem was trying to get the glue off the bottles as well as the labels I think. But she's been soaking them for longer now and hopefully that'll work, if not I'll tell her to get the scrubber out! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

:eek:

Your missus actually makes beer for you?

You lucky, lucky bastard.

I have trouble even getting mine to get me a beer from the fridge :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Des wrote: »
    :eek:

Your missus actually makes beer for you?

You lucky, lucky bastard.

I have trouble even getting mine to get me a beer from the fridge :pac:
    LOL. I have her well trained indeed. Now I just have to stop her from adding mad stuff to it, like Cinnamon and the likes.

She actually had just finished making elderflower wine when I saw your post on it here, I wasn't blown away (it wasn't really my shot of Jagermeister), but she likes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gwenten

Ste05 wrote: »
    Thanks folks... the home brewing is actually the domain of Mrs05 and she asked me to post the question up. :pac:

Hullo all, this is "Mrs05", offering my most heartfelt thanks for all of the responses, I'll admit that this is off the back of a fifteen minute lecture from el hubby as to correct boardsie ettiquette, but now I know, eh one of the rules, I'll try my hardest not to embarass my better half again.

Ps just a note... My friendly local barman saved me up a rake of the Koppaberg bottles and not only do the labels (and glue) come off very easily but the cap up really well too.....

Cheers all

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Gwenten wrote: »
    Hullo all, this is "Mrs05", offering my most heartfelt thanks for all of the responses, I'll admit that this is off the back of a fifteen minute lecture from el hubby as to correct boardsie ettiquette, but now I know, eh one of the rules, I'll try my hardest not to embarass my better half again.

Ps just a note... My friendly local barman saved me up a rake of the Koppaberg bottles and not only do the labels (and glue) come off very easily but the cap up really well too.....

Cheers all

Welcome along!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Gwenten

Welcome along!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Just finished de-labeling bottles for my latest batch of ale.

½ an hour in warm soapy water usually does the trick on botlles like Coors / Budweiser / Stella / Satzenbrau - the labels literally just fall off.

I usually try stick to these bottles for convenience.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Carlow bottles are great. You get brilliant beer and the labels float off themselves after a 5 minute soak in hot water.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I've never had any problems removing labels. I just give the label a few scrapes with a knife, a quick rub with some washing up liquid and then allow them to soak in water (hot preferably) for 20 mins. Always works fine.

Advertisement