Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum Ban - Has a precedent been set?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jazzy wrote: »
    yup. because thats what happened. hes the chief mod and longest serving mod. he felt miffed and knew he could get backing, so he acted. its all going to be whitewashed of course, as thats what happens.. or do we really have to list off things that have been whitewashed here ?
    its not like mistakes never happen and that if you know the right people you can pretty much get what you like now is it?
    Speaking of things that have been around a long time. Are we still dragging this crap into every feedback thread that relates to the soccer forum?

"800 years, etc."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

The banning was just,obviously! There's no room in modern day football for guys that arent sweet and kind to each other.. As a City fan i constantly tell United fans what a supremely honest and talented manager Sir Alex is and i adore tellin my Pool friends what a shrewd tactitian Benitez was and how Lucas was a steal at 5 mil... Where would we be if football fans jeered each other and poked fun at the oppossing teams foibles, that not what i signed up for when i joined this soccer forum........... Jeez whats that was said about thicker skin!!.. Pffft.. Sad banning!:confused:

Archimedes wrote: »
    You know this has everything to do with who I support and how vocal I am about that. No other soccer mod would have gone to such measures as to get a ban and you know it.
    Didn't you go to a few measures yourself for a pisstake?
    Hide behind the red tape all you want, the majority of users on the soccer forum know what you're like and see right through your actions. I await the Cmods and other soccer mods who decided a soccer forum ban was fair to explain their decision.

Was it you who suggested a soccer forum ban? Or one of the other mods/Cmods?
    Let me get this correct,

You are accusing Fish of hiding behind red tape, when the entire premise of your thread is that you should be protected by Red Tape?

Really?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Overheal wrote: »
    Didn't you go to a few measures yourself for a pisstake?

That's all it was. A piss take. His measures on the other hand have resulted in me denied access to a forum that I make a pretty good contribution to if I do say so. Don't pretend this is a level playing field. A level playing field would be him replying with his own piss-take, not going to great lengths to try and get me banned.
    Overheal wrote:
    Let me get this correct,

You are accusing Fish of hiding behind red tape, when the entire premise of your thread is that you should be protected by Red Tape?

Really?

He's hiding behind the "Cmods and soccer mods" agreed with me banner. Im challenging their decision, which I believe he set out to have decided because I believe they are wrong. How do you not see that?

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

oh heres another funny one, i called another poster a lazy bum and got infracted for it

im not sure what to say to that, first off it was a joke becaue the poster in questiion never looks up google himself :)

but to get an infraction for that is mind boggling, its shameful tbh. Just shows TFTF vindictive nature that arch is talking about

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The infraction is not the issue, the issue is why did it result in a soccer forum infraction? The PM had absolutely nothing to do with forum and no rules in the soccer forum charter were broken.

I would say the reason for the ban from soccer is because perhaps they dont want you there?

Without getting into the "membership is a privilege not a right" speech, its clear that the mods are somewhat tired of how they perceive your behaviour on the soccer forum - this is not a judgment by me just and observation

As a member of boards.ie you and the rest of us mere mortals are entitled to be members of most of the forums within, constant breach of charter or considered discussion of that members behaviour by mods/cmods/admin can lead to access rights to be withdrawn.. trying to get a ban lifted based on a perceived technicality might work in a court of law.. it wont work on boards.. its a private orgy, open to everyone, if you dont play ball (pardon the pun) no more orgy

snyper wrote: »
    I would say the reason for the ban from soccer is because perhaps they dont want you there?

Without getting into the "membership is a privilege not a right" speech, its clear that the mods are somewhat tired of how they perceive your behaviour on the soccer forum - this is not a judgment by me just and observation

As a member of boards.ie you and the rest of us mere mortals are entitled to be members of most of the forums within, constant breach of charter or considered discussion of that members behaviour by mods/cmods/admin can lead to access rights to be withdrawn.. trying to get a ban lifted based on a perceived technicality might work in a court of law.. it wont work on boards.. its a private orgy, open to everyone, if you dont play ball (pardon the pun) no more orgy

Snyper, I know you don't post on the soccer forum but if I'm allowed say so myself, I made a very conscious decision to become a proper, valued contributor on the soccer forum at the start of the year having treated it as nothing but a laugh and nothing serious beforehand. I think I've made that transition, and some posters have said they enjoy my posts which means a lot to me. One of the infractions I received before this one this year was an absolute BS decision, it was basically a caption competition where Wayne Bridge refused to shaked John Terry's hand, and the kid mascot was looking at John Terry. My caption involved the kid calling Terry a twat. I got an infraction for that. It's extremely unfair and a prominent example of T4TF using his position as a way of getting back at me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Speaking of things that have been around a long time. Are we still dragging this crap into every feedback thread that relates to the soccer forum?

"800 years, etc."

am i wrong though?
    doesnt matter if cmods are higher, t4tf has been there ages and has sway. thats what counts.
    whole thing reeks of bullsh1t and ya'll know it.

circlethewagons.jpg

t4tf was over sensitive and wanted to be the man and now you are all backing him up when you should be going "dude, thats not cool. chill, its only a bit of light ribbing.. at most". but no no, its going to become drama llama terratory and the right thing wont be done

That's all it was. A piss take. His measures on the other hand have resulted in me denied access to a forum that I make a pretty good contribution to if I do say so. Don't pretend this is a level playing field. A level playing field would be him replying with his own piss-take, not going to great lengths to try and get me banned.
    It's not really a case of fight fire with fire.

Should I be allowed to tell a mod to go slit their child's throat because they're a horrible parent [gosh, my adlibs are disturbing o_O] and expect that they will in turn play on a "Level Playing Field" by telling me to castrate myself? I think I would sooner just expect to be banned.

Im not entirely sure where you get the idea that the Playing Field as you put it, should in fact be that way. If it were frankly there would be no use for moderators or administrators at all and this would be 4chan.ie
    He's hiding behind the "Cmods and soccer mods" agreed with me banner. Im challenging their decision, which I believe he set out to have decided because I believe they are wrong. How do you not see that?
    Well first off I don't think thats hiding. Going to your peers [Mods] and getting their input before acting seems the correct thing to do in the given situation.

I did however also catch what I felt was a Hypocrisy in your last statement so I asked you about it.

Anyway you have every right to challenge the decision, I imagine you will and would have gotten a response with or without this thread. But I think I answered the question earlier, and so too did Snyper, that theres no precedent to be set: it was already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Is it not very odd that a mod dealt with a PM sent to him and issued an infraction. I was always under the impression that 'being naughty' over PM resulted in a censure of some description by an Smod or Admin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

A regular Soccer poster, PMs a Soccer Mod with what seems like, on the surface; to be a jibe about their Soccer preferences

Is it really any different to saying it on thread in that case? Whether or not it was an overreaction or an oversight of what was meant as a humorous quip is another story

It's not really a case of fight fire with fire.

Should I be allowed to tell a mod to go slit their child's throat because they're a horrible parent [gosh, my adlibs are disturbing o_O] and expect that they will in turn play on a "Level Playing Field" by telling me to castrate myself? I think I would sooner just expect to be banned.

Im not entirely sure where you get the idea that the Playing Field as you put it, should in fact be that way. If it were frankly there would be no use for moderators or administrators at all and this would be 4chan.ie

Overheal, I appreciate your input here, I really do, but surely you see the difference between your hypothetical situation and what has happened here? Your situation is downright nasty and volatile, whereas my PM was light-hearted at most, worth ignoring at the least. In a situation like that, it would be perfectable acceptable for him to respond in kind. Would I have reported him for responding to it in a simialr fashion? Not a chance. To go chase up a ban is far more petty than what I did imo.
    Overheal wrote:
    Well first off I don't think thats hiding. Going to your peers [Mods] and getting their input before acting seems the correct thing to do in the given situation.

I did however also catch what I felt was a Hypocrisy in your last statement so I asked you about it.

Anyway you have every right to challenge the decision, I imagine you will and would have gotten a response with or without this thread. But I think I answered the question earlier, and so too did Snyper, that theres no precedent to be set: it was already there.

Again, my main argument is why I was banned from the SF for something that did not take place there. There was no personal abuse of a mod or anything involved. This is the precedent I'm talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Snyper, I know you don't post on the soccer forum but if I'm allowed say so myself, I made a very conscious decision to become a proper, valued contributor on the soccer forum at the start of the year having treated it as nothing but a laugh and nothing serious beforehand. I think I've made that transition, and some posters have said they enjoy my posts which means a lot to me. One of the infractions I received before this one this year was an absolute BS decision, it was basically a caption competition where Wayne Bridge refused to shaked John Terry's hand, and the kid mascot was looking at John Terry. My caption involved the kid calling Terry a twat. I got an infraction for that. It's extremely unfair and a prominent example of T4TF using his position as a way of getting back at me.

The way with life sadly is that if you decide to change your ways overnight your past over hangs on you for some time.. so you cant expect the moderators to wipe the slate clean because you have made a decision to "go clean" overnight - it takes time.

On the other point - if this moderator "has it in for you" (personaly i prefer the term "you're on their radar") i dont think it was the smartest move to send them a pm at all.. as they may be hyper sensitive and read intent in your message as more than it maybe due to your history

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

KevIRL wrote: »
    Is it not very odd that a mod dealt with a PM sent to him and issued an infraction. I was always under the impression that 'being naughty' over PM resulted in a censure of some description by an Smod or Admin?

I would have said only if it was a siteban type pm that needed reporting for admin action. Otherwise if a user responds to say the auto pm ban badly I think most mods increase the forum ban (as per the warning in the auto ban pm).

So banning people from a forum for pms to the mod of the forum is a well established part of boards. (Although obviously this was a minor offence and only got an infraction).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

KevIRL wrote: »
    Not totally OT, but I guess a little forgive me if so.

The 6 month ban from the SF, not just in this case but in general - Seems a bit harsh, in fact extremely harsh. Is such a draconian measure really needed? 6 months is a loooooooong time especially to have as part of a procedure. For an extreme case I guess I could understand, but surely if someone has done something so bad to deserve a 6 month ban then it probably should be a permaban. Have many other users fallen foul of this procedure?

Just to address this point, the 6 month ban from soccer only occurs if user picks up at least 6 separate infractions over the course of a single year. In that case it is needed because it shows an ongoing disregard for the charter and rules of the forum.

A number of users have fallen foul of their own behaviour and as a result were subjected to this ban, bear in mind that it's repeated breaches of the charter despite warnings that lead to a ban of this duration.

snyper wrote: »
    The way with life sadly is that if you decide to change your ways overnight your past over hangs on you for some time.. so you cant expect the moderators to wipe the slate clean because you have made a decision to "go clean" overnight - it takes time.

On the other point - if this moderator "has it in for you" (personaly i prefer the term "you're on their radar") i dont think it was the smartest move to send them a pm at all.. as they may be hyper sensitive and read intent in your message as more than it maybe due to your history

I understand that snyper, but don't you think part of a mod's job is to observe a poster's posting style too? It's a very basic thing to do to distinguish real trolls from actual contributors. Like I said, I was a crap poster before and while I still may not be everyone's cup of tea, people have still told me they've seen a change in my input and have thanked me for it. If a moderator cannot use a bit of common sense like this then he's not doing his job properly. As for your second paragraphy, I'm afraid that's exactly what happened. Had I though T4TF would chase up a ban, of course I wouldn't have sent it. Despite knowing what type of fan he has it in for and what he is like, I did not expect this over reaction from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

A regular Soccer poster, PMs a Soccer Mod with what seems like, on the surface; to be a jibe about their Soccer preferences

Is it really any different to saying it on thread in that case? Whether or not it was an overreaction or an oversight of what was meant as a humorous quip is another story

The difference is the P in PM, it stands for Private, which makes this a little jibe between two people, if even that there was nothing malicious in the message at all if you ask me. Posting it publicly on the boards shouldn't even merit a infraction in my opinion. Take it how you want but the mod in question has been ruling the forum in a very biased fashion for a long time now and I know he may be very important to the soccer forum but someone surely has to step in and mod the mods if this is the behavior we are to expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

So you have now admitted that you Pmed me for a pisstake, despite denying this previously.

The reason I went to the mods is for the reason I pointed out to you by PM. The reason that I went to the Cmods was to see what they thought of it. These are all things I did before a decision to yellow was taken. You were not banned for a poor attempt at a pish take via PM, you were banned for accumulated yellow cards.

So you have now admitted that you Pmed me for a pisstake, despite denying this previously.

The reason I went to the mods is for the reason I pointed out to you by PM. The reason that I went to the Cmods was to see what they thought of it. These are all things I did before a decision to yellow was taken. You were not banned for a poor attempt at a pish take via PM, you were banned for accumulated yellow cards.

Im challenging the infraction because of your complete over-reaction to it (and that's being very generous to you, because we all know the real reason you chased it up had nothing to do with you being offended or feeling you were a victim of trolling). I'm also challenging this infraction as a soccer forum specific infraction rather than a Boards-wide or Boards Charter specific infraction.

Also, you said I had 7 infractions including this one. Looking at my previous infractions, this would only have been my 6th, and another one of those (the previously mentioned John Terry one) was absolute BS.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Iago wrote: »
    Just to address this point, the 6 month ban from soccer only occurs if user picks up at least 6 separate infractions over the course of a single year. In that case it is needed because it shows an ongoing disregard for the charter and rules of the forum.

A number of users have fallen foul of their own behaviour and as a result were subjected to this ban, bear in mind that it's repeated breaches of the charter despite warnings that lead to a ban of this duration.

Thanks Iago.

Maybe this is more suited for the end of season review thread, but the 6 month ban process perhaps needs to be looked at considering some of the infractions given and the inconsistencies that appear to exist.

I still think 6 months is a crazy long time. Fair enough for the obvious trolls/troublemakers that we all know is exist, but seems like the SF is losing some good posters for what is a long time.

Meh, I only really post in there for the FF thread, doesnt bother me all that much, but thats my opinion fwiw.

• Advertisement

TFTF i want to know did you ask any body about 6th card ? even thou a long serving mod said other wise

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

were you REALLY that offended by the original pm? really? your honestly trying to tell us that it was bad enough to warrant a yellow card? thats what your trying to say here - that a light bit of football ribbing over england going out is enough to warrant a yellow card?

fukin hell. thats a shockingly massive chip on your shoulder. sort it out

Well if you have the mod saying something, have them come on and say what happened. Surely that would be a lot easier than posting your comments second hand.

Usually only contentious infractions are discussed on the mods forum.

were you REALLY that offended by the original pm? really? your honestly trying to tell us that it was bad enough to warrant a yellow card? thats what your trying to say here - that a light bit of football ribbing over england going out is enough to warrant a yellow card?

I am saying that somebody sent me a pm with the intention of taking the pish out of me (already admitted). It has been sent on to the forum mods for review and then the Cmods.

No matter what Archi says, I have no doubt that if I had responded in kind, we would be looking at the same feedback thread but with a different title...

Usually only contentious infractions are discussed on the mods forum.

In that case, I want a review of the infraction I received for my John Terry post.

No matter what Archi says, I have no doubt that if I had responded in kind, we would be looking at the same feedback thread but with a different title...

That's absolute BS. You would have the initial PM I sent as a defence and I would be laughed out of here. Like I said, absolute BS.

I am not sure what the point of this thread is.

Is it that you are complaining that you have been banned and you want it overturned?
    Is it that you sent a PM taking the pish and received an infraction?
    Is it that you want to check if you can receive a yellow for trolling a soccer mod via pm?

Anyway, I am bowing out of this thread, I will be happy to discuss on Helpdesk if an Admin decides it necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,456 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Are you saying that a bit of harmless fun is an infractable offense?

Seriously?

Is this not a case of you taking things far too seriously instead of taking a chill pill and having a laugh about it?

Please explain what exactly your problem is with this pm?

In that case, I want a review of the infraction I received for my John Terry post.

sorry for bumping in arch

but i would also like a review of all infractions especially these ones
    lazy bum and my 6th infraction

and i dont want TFTF contributing to the discussion because i want neutral mods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

lol.

He won't, he has a chip on his shoulder about certain posters, and he goes out of his way to antagonise them, but keeps within his rules, never takes anything in any kind of context, and he's been doing the moderation in the soccer forum for so long that he is untouchable.

The site higher-ups don't see this, or choose not to see it, because he's always just within in the rules, using technicalities to infract and ultimately ban people.

He's a petty person, who holds grudges over the slightest perceived slight, and holds those grudges for a long, long time.

Here's a funny story. One time in Feedback, after yet another monumental fúck-up by him, he accused me of having cronies out to get him. Fúcking lol, ya know. Cronies, out to get him. Did you ever hear the likes of it?

As long as he is modding the Soccer Forum it won't be a good place to post. Most of us just put up with it because we have to if we want to chat about Soccer here on Boards.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement