Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer Forum Ban - Has a precedent been set?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

Well if you have the mod saying something, have them come on and say what happened. Surely that would be a lot easier than posting your comments second hand.

Usually only contentious infractions are discussed on the mods forum.

so you had a waa waa about a pm because no1 does that to thanks for the fish, no way no how..... and then went to the other mods to get archi yellow carded and therefore banned for 6 months?

thats fukin low.
    sad thing is you will get away with it and nothing will be done about it simply because you've been here long and know the right people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Lads, seriously, sleep on it. All of ye!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I would just like to say that I don post on the soccer forum because of people like the op. Op, you should not have posted the pms, because they look like the work of a ****head.

I wouldn't gave stood for that either, and if I was expected to take that, as a mod, I'd quit modding

Just my 2c :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

I am saying that somebody sent me a pm with the intention of taking the pish out of me (already admitted). ...

"Taking the piss" and an abusive pm are very different though. If this pm was one of a very scarse amount sent - its difficult to see a warrented punishment - i cant see how you would be offended by it..

The only reason i can see that you may have wanted the pm "looked at" is if its a "last straw - camels back" senario

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

KevIRL wrote: »
    Thanks Iago.

Maybe this is more suited for the end of season review thread, but the 6 month ban process perhaps needs to be looked at considering some of the infractions given and the inconsistencies that appear to exist.

I still think 6 months is a crazy long time. Fair enough for the obvious trolls/troublemakers that we all know is exist, but seems like the SF is losing some good posters for what is a long time.

Meh, I only really post in there for the FF thread, doesnt bother me all that much, but thats my opinion fwiw.

It's a reasonable point and is up for discussion as with everything else in the season review thread.

There's a thin line to be thread though;

When there were limited infractions and rules, the posters weren't happy.

When we punished all infractions with a 1 week ban, the posters weren't happy.

When we implemented a system that punishes repeated offences with a longer ban, the posters weren't happy.

Two extremes and a middle of the road option, each with their dissenters. Now I accept that the above is simplified, but it's a fair representation of various feedback threads over the last few years. I don't deny for a second that there are going to be inconsistencies with infractions because like most things on the site the majority of these things come down to personal interpretation and context at the time. We'll never keep everyone happy but I'd like to think, perhaps in naive innocence, that the forum is running smoother than it has for a long time with problems few and far between.

We do have problem posters like any forum, and we need to figure out a way to deal with that which has the majority of the forum on board and working with us. Again the season review thread will hopefully help us to meet that goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Jazzy wrote: »
    so you had a waa waa about a pm because no1 does that to thanks for the fish, no way no how..... and then went to the other mods to get archi yellow carded and therefore banned for 6 months?

thats fukin low.
    sad thing is you will get away with it and nothing will be done about it simply because you've been here long and know the right people.
    Just because you keep screaming Bandwagon and Mod conspiracy until you're blue in the face, it will not actually make it true.

Call a spade a spade here lads. Op went out of his way to try to wind someone up. He thought there was nothing the mod could do about it. Turns out there was.

Des wrote: »
    lol.

He won't, he has a chip on his shoulder about certain posters, and he goes out of his way to antagonise them, but keeps within his rules, never takes anything in any kind of context, and he's been doing the moderation in the soccer forum for so long that he is untouchable.

The site higher-ups don't see this, or choose not to see it, because he's always just within in the rules, using technicalities to infract and ultimately ban people.

He's a petty person, who holds grudges over the slightest perceived slight, and holds those grudges for a long, long time.

Here's a funny story. One time in Feedback, after yet another monumental fúck-up by him, he accused me of having cronies out to get him. Fúcking lol, ya know. Cronies, out to get him. Did you ever hear the likes of it?

As long as he is modding the Soccer Forum it won't be a good place to post. Most of us just put up with it because we have to if we want to chat about Soccer here on Boards.

Des - tell us how you really feel :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

tbh wrote: »
    I would just like to say that I don post on the soccer forum because of people like the op. Op, you should not have posted the pms, because they look like the work of a ****head.

I wouldn't gave stood for that either, and if I was expected to take that, as a mod, I'd quit modding

Just my 2c :)

If you're complaining about T4TF's PM's being published, then that's incredibly pedantic. There's nothing to hide, there's no personal information and it was posted purely for transparency purposes. You don't post there because of people like me?

If, in your opinion, I'm whats stopping you from posting in there then it's a good thing you dont, because you would get eaten alive. I am harmless compared to a lot of the shíte that goes on in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,457 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Call a spade a spade here lads. Op went out of his way to try to wind someone up. He thought there was nothing the mod could do about it. Turns out there was.
    Lol, its just a bit of harmless fun. Did he insult the guy? Did he say anything offensive?

Like wtf is the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,566 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Iago wrote: »
    It's a reasonable point and is up for discussion as with everything else in the season review thread.

When we implemented a system that punishes repeated offences with a longer ban, the posters weren't happy.

Two extremes and a middle of the road option, each with their dissenters. Now I accept that the above is simplified, but it's a fair representation of various feedback threads over the last few years. I don't deny for a second that there are going to be inconsistencies with infractions because like most things on the site the majority of these things come down to personal interpretation and context at the time. We'll never keep everyone happy but I'd like to think, perhaps in naive innocence, that the forum is running smoother than it has for a long time with problems few and far between.

We do have problem posters like any forum, and we need to figure out a way to deal with that which has the majority of the forum on board and working with us. Again the season review thread will hopefully help us to meet that goal.

I definitely agree with the bolded part, and fair play to the present group (not forgetting some very good mods who departed this year as well) for that. But when the likes of Archimedes, Headshot and Des who clearly really enjoy soccer and posting on the forum are banned for a 6 month duration something is clearly wrong with the processes as stand.

I think its fair to say that none of the 3 I mention could be classes as problem posters

The guy was being a jerk, end of. I said he shouldn't have posted the pms because they made him look like a ****head - read my post again :)

Here's a funny story. One time in Feedback, after yet another monumental fúck-up by him, he accused me of having cronies out to get him. Fúcking lol, ya know. Cronies, out to get him. Did you ever hear the likes of it?

hahaha! i remember that. i completely forgot that was also thanks for the fish and that must have been what, 4/5 years ago? and here we have another brand new fresh steaming pile of f**k up for the mods and admins to say "um, no. that isnt a big giant crap, thats a... um.. thats a chocolate bar".

• Registered Users Posts: 54,357 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Iago wrote: »

the 6 month ban should only be used for extreme cases like chd and sots. Myself , des and arch are the total opposite of them.
    (sorry to see des banned too)

The guy was being a jerk, end of. I said he shouldn't have posted the pms because they made him look like a ****head - read my post again :)

Seriously tbh, I don't know if you're fishing for a reaction from me to try end all this debate but it's not going to work. You're entitled to your opinion, but you said yourself you don't post on the soccer forum. You know absolutely nothing about me.

Archimedes wrote: »
    You don't post there because of people like me?

If, in your opinion, I'm whats stopping you from posting in there then it's a good thing you dont, because you would get eaten alive. I am harmless compared to a lot of the shíte that goes on in there.

Yeah, people like you. You obviously think you were hilarious in those messages. I can live without that kinda crap tbh. As for being 'eaten alive' - lol, son. Lol

Yeah, people like you. You obviously think you were hilarious in those messages. I can live without that kinda crap tbh. As for being 'eaten alive' - lol, son. Lol

So you don't post in the soccer forum because of what happens in PMs between 2 users you have no experience of dealing it?

Whatever floats your boat....son.

Seriously tbh, I don't know if you're fishing for a reaction from me to try end all this debate but it's not going to work. You're entitled to your opinion, but you said yourself you don't post on the soccer forum. You know absolutely nothing about me.

I'm basing what I'm saying in this thread purely and simply on the contents of your pms. You could be Stephen fry and the mod could be the biggest asshole in the world. Don't know, don care. Similarly, react, don't react. Couldn't care less

I'm basing what I'm saying in this thread purely and simply on the contents of your pms. You could be Stephen fry and the mod could be the biggest asshole in the world. Don't know, don care. Similarly, react, don't react. Couldn't care less

You said you'd quit yourself if someone posted those PMs had they involved you. PMs that dont contain any personal information, slanderous information, or anything that could cause offence to you.

Couldn't care less? Try harder, please.

Overheal wrote: »
    Just because you keep screaming Bandwagon and Mod conspiracy until you're blue in the face, it will not actually make it true.

lal. mod conspiracy? great word usage. trying to make me look paranoid and lessen the weight of what i have posted? hope you are wearing your old overalls with all that white paint you are using.

you saying t4tf isnt a well know boardsie and mod that has been on the site 9 years and built up a strong network of friends, some mods & admins, and that he wouldnt use this to his advantage cos hes got a massive chip on his shoulder?
    come off it, dont try and cheapen what im saying with crap cliches. you and tbh and the usual wagons in the circle are always trying to defend these kinda fuk ups. the fact that you have to attempt to weaken my point with these cliches is proof enough that you and the other wagons (and t4tf) arent in a strong position here - know why? becasue what the mod did was wrong, and as the saying goes - when you're wrong, you're wrong

• Advertisement

You said you'd quit yourself if someone posted those PMs had they involved you. PMs that dont contain any personal information, slanderous information, or anything that could cause offence to you.

Couldn't care less? Try harder, please.

You posted in feedback looking for feedback on the pms you posted. Here's my feedback. Those messages make you look like an asshole and I wouldn't put up with it. Was there anything else?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

OP looks like he was intentionally trolling and flame-baiting to me in those PMs.

Gordon wrote: »
    OP looks like he was intentionally trolling and flame-baiting to me in those PMs.

So every little bit of ribbing is automatically trolling? Come off it, the lad is a football fan and is well used to it. As for it being classed as a soccer forum infraction? Ridiculous decision. Utterly, utterly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,004 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Considering that Archimedes is one of the better posters there,it's a crappy decision imo.Not sure how the pms warranted an infraction tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,210 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

come off it, dont try and cheapen what im saying with crap cliches. you and tbh and the usual wagons in the circle are always trying to defend these kinda fuk ups. the fact that you have to attempt to weaken my point with these cliches is proof enough that you and the other wagons (and t4tf) arent in a strong position here - know why? becasue what the mod did was wrong, and as the saying goes - when you're wrong, you're wrong
    you realise, of course, that you're the one who posted a picture of a bandwagon?

If anyones guilty of putting a cliche in your mouth, you have only yourself to blame.

oh was he? is that the line we are going with? you saying that t4tf doesnt have a massive chip on his shoulder and that he over reacted because he has his own agenda? you saying that he couldnt have taken it in good humour and maybe ribbed archi back?

no no, that couldnt possibly be it. the OP was 'flame-baiting'. again, excellent word usage. really makes for a strong case. t4tf totally looks right now.
    do you and overheal do walls? the white wall out the back is looking a bit shoddy and im looking to have it resurfaced in a shining coat of white
    Overheal wrote: »
    you realise, of course, that you're the one who posted a picture of a bandwagon?

If anyones guilty of putting a cliche in your mouth, you have only yourself to blame.

but im not wrong am i? :)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

He's a petty person, who holds grudges over the slightest perceived slight, and holds those grudges for a long, long time.

hahaha! i remember that. i completely forgot that was also thanks for the fish and that must have been what, 4/5 years ago? .

petty grudges held for a long long time you say?
    So every little bit of ribbing is automatically trolling? Come off it, the lad is a football fan and is well used to it. As for it being classed as a soccer forum infraction? Ridiculous decision. Utterly, utterly ridiculous.

You can't have it everyway, you are making out that this mod is out to get you all the time and has a massive grudge against you.

Yet you also are saying that you can innocently 'banter' with hime and wind him up and it's all just a laugh between 'buddys'?

It's either one or the other imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

How unusual. :rolleyes:

ffs, can the people "in charge" not do better than one liners?

Crap.

Every opinion on this thread seems to be loaded with an agenda

Its becoming increasingly difficult to see the wood from the trees

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

KevIRL wrote: »
    I definitely agree with the bolded part, and fair play to the present group (not forgetting some very good mods who departed this year as well) for that. But when the likes of Archimedes, Headshot and Des who clearly really enjoy soccer and posting on the forum are banned for a 6 month duration something is clearly wrong with the processes as stand.

I think its fair to say that none of the 3 I mention could be classes as problem posters
    Headshot wrote: »
    the 6 month ban should only be used for extreme cases like chd and sots. Myself , des and arch are the total opposite of them.
    (sorry to see des banned too)

If the rules state that 6 warnings on behaviour over the course of a year will lead to a 6 month ban then why would there be anything wrong with the process when users who have received at least 6 warnings on their behaviour in that time frame get a ban?

If you think the process is flawed, which part in particular do you have issue with

1. The number of warnings given before action is taken?
    2. The length of the banning following repeated warnings being ignored?
    3. The implementation of this process on users that are popular?

When we apply discretion we are often accused of being inconsistent or showing favouritism.

When we consistently apply the rules we're told that we should allow for individuality.

Damned if you do, and damned if you don't really, but as I said earlier I think we should discuss this as part of the end of season review and see if we can come up with something that both moderators and users feel is workable and fair.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement