Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving car in gear on a steep incline...

• 04-07-2010 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

I was trying to park the car on fairly steep hill a couple of days ago & because the handbrake isnt the best i normally leave the car in first. But i've never had to park on this steep an incline before. The car rolled backwards & the gear wouldn't hold. It felt like it slipped out of gear or......well, poped maybe. Its hard to describe. But it frightened the ****e out of me cos i thought there was damage done. Afterwards the car felt a bit shakey when coming off the clutch when pulling off but it seems to be fine now.

So i'm wondering is there a limit to the amount of weight or angle of incline which it is safe to let the gear hold the car? & if anyone knows of damge ever being cause to the gears by parking this way?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Well, you've pretty much managed to turn the engine over dry ...and backwards.

Seems to have done no damage, but an exercise not to be repeated.

If you have to park in gear on a slope do so in the appropriate gear ...i.e. the same gear that you would use to drive that hill, following its slope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Thanks man. Found some discussion on this elsewhere eventually, of course after i asked the question here. The general consenus seems to be using both the handbrake & gear together but i think in my case the slope wouldv'e been to much for both so ill just avoid anything similar from now on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

sentient_6 wrote: »
    The general consenus seems to be using both the handbrake & gear together

do you not do this all the time anyway?
    I do every time I park the car (but 2nd, not first)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Not really cause most of the time i'm parking on just a slight incline. The handbrake isnt great so i was avoiding using it altogether. I will be from now on though.

Btw i'm talking about a major incline here, on normal conditions leaving it in gear seems to have being doing me grand for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

do you not do this all the time anyway?
    I do every time I park the car (but 2nd, not first)

I was taught to only park in gear when on a slope, any other time, car should be handbraked and neutral. Tester checked as soon as he got into my car on the test too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,915 ✭✭✭GTE

And I believe its not to be done on diesels since they dont need a spark. Irish Ferries say not to do it anyway! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Not really cause most of the time i'm parking on just a slight incline. The handbrake isnt great so i was avoiding using it altogether. I will be from now on though.

Btw i'm talking about a major incline here, on normal conditions leaving it in gear seems to have being doing me grand for ages.

Maybe I'm pointing out the obvious here but surely the right advise here would be to have your handbrake looked at? It probably just needs a tighten which is a 10 minute job.
    For peace of mind and the safety of others, I can't understand why you haven't done this already?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭woody33

Point your wheels so they will hit the curb if it rolls. and it's hand brake on and in gear for me from now on. A few weeks a man knocks on the door "Do you own such-and such a car?" "Yes why?" I ask. Turns out my car had rolled 40 meters away and parked itself with one rear wheel up on the nearby grassy area, narrowly missing another parked car and a tree. Phew.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

bbk wrote: »
    And I believe its not to be done on diesels since they dont need a spark. Irish Ferries say not to do it anyway! :p

I was on the swift on Monday and there were signs all over it stating to leave the car in gear with the handbrake on.

As for parking on a hill, this is what the yanks recommend.
    31a.gif

Neilw wrote: »
    I was on the swift on Monday and there were signs all over it stating to leave the car in gear with the handbrake on.

Ulysses says otherwise for diesels.

Reason being if the car is jerked forward it could ignite the diesel since that works on compression.
    Having said that, its probably for older diesels and not the new fangled modern ones with safety features to stop that from happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Always park in 1st and handbrake on with the wheels away from the kerb myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

Reason being if the car is jerked forward it could ignite the diesel since that works on compression.
    Having said that, its probably for older diesels and not the new fangled modern ones with safety features to stop that from happening.

I've a question about that.
    If you've ever tried to push start a car, you'll know it won't start unless the ignition is on.
    How can an engine "rock start" without the ignition being turned on?

ShayK1 wrote: »
    If you've ever tried to push start a car, you'll know it won't start unless the ignition is on.
    its probably for older diesels and not the new fangled modern ones with safety features to stop that from happening.

Point being the older diesels can still get a pull of some fuel and crash into the car in front and cause a whole heap of ****. Not a runaway, just that jerk forward in a tightly packed carpark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

diesel or not, i doubt it would be safe to park a ferry on any kind of an incline and if you were going to, the handbrake would be the least of your worries. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

ShayK1 wrote: »

It won't, at least it won't on all modern cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

It more for older diesels. New ones shouldn't start. But there is a small chance they might, like mobile phones at petrol pumps causing fires. It's easier to say no then list exceptions. I know an old tractor that started itself. In San Fran you get fined if you don't park with your wheels turned so they hit the kerb if the car rolls

Del2005 wrote: »
    In San Fran you get ...........

San Fran eh :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neilw wrote: »

The back of your window hanger (if given one, they often don't bother in Dublin as they only have the terminal to themselves, and unless its at the time when both boats leave) has the petrol/diesel distinction on it.

Clearly they don't consider it very important any more as, as you noticed, its not on the signs onboard and you don't always get the hanger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,662 ✭✭✭✭Esel

RoverJames wrote: »
    San Fran eh :eek:
    He means Frisco, maan! :D It's true though, and good advice - if there is a kerb.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't think thats possible. It needs more than compression. On an older diesel, you need glow plugs and a fuel pump. Also diesel has much higher compression, so it would need a lot more than a jerk to create the pressure needed to start. Newer diesels have a bunch of electronics needed to start and run. Never mind the fuel pump.

• Advertisement

Handbrakes fail. So it makes sense to leave a parked car in gear. Part of your starting technique should always be to put the car in neutral.

That people have problems with a car jumping on starting, suggests they don't check it, as part of their habit. It makes no sense to do one thing on hills and another on slopes. Thats just asking to get mixed up.

How the heck can you do a hill start, in traffic without a handbrake. You'd have to ride the clutch. You shouldn't be driving around like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Del2005 wrote: »
    But there is a small chance they might, like mobile phones at petrol pumps causing fires.

Apart from the fact that there's never actually been an occasion where this happened, and it's all bullshít. Same as mobile phones on planes... Possibly a bad example to use there...

I'm also fairly amazed at the OP not leaving a handbrake on at all... if it's that bad, get it fixed ffs. It's on the car for a reason...they didn't put it on for a laugh during design/production like...

BostonB wrote: »
    I don't think thats possible. It needs more than compression. On an older diesel, you need glow plugs and a fuel pump. Also diesel has much higher compression, so it would need a lot more than a jerk to create the pressure needed to start.

On an old tech mechanical diesel truck with direct injection all it would take is a defective fuel-cut-off valve and a shifting load of 20 tonnes (easily done in heavy seas) to get it going.

This is where these signs stem from and in typical health and safety fashion it has now been extended to include anything with wheels and and engine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Always park in 1st and handbrake on with the wheels away from the kerb myself.
    Do the opposite if you park pointing down the hill - car in reverse, wheels pointing towards the kerb (and handbrake on).

I always thought it was mechnically impossible for an engine to be forced to go "backwards", and any gear when pointing up a hill would be secure as bolts, but clearly I'm wrong :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Apart from the fact that there's never actually been an occasion where this happened, and it's all bullshít. Same as mobile phones on planes... Possibly a bad example to use there...
    I have seen security camera footage of mobile phones igniting petrol vapour.
    Maybe not here but it has happened.

peasant wrote: »
    On an old tech mechanical diesel truck with direct injection all it would take is a defective fuel-cut-off valve and a shifting load of 20 tonnes (easily done in heavy seas) to get it going.

This is where these signs stem from and in typical health and safety fashion it has now been extended to include anything with wheels and and engine

I take your point. But the context was the OP car on a hill. We've now moved to a truck on a ship, with 20 tons in storm. I think the OP doesn't have to worry about that scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I have seen security camera footage of mobile phones igniting petrol vapour.
    Maybe not here but it has happened.

Its possible, but really only if the phone is faulty, i.e. lose connection that causes an arc and can ignite the fumes.

In theory it could happen with any electrical device in proximity with a dodgy battery connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Wossack

this gear and handbrake debate reminds me of that awful thread where someone burned out yer mans car in his driveway. The heat made the brake line fail, and the burning car rolled down his driveway, and into another one of his cars parked across the road - totalling them both :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

I was in a LR/Volvo dealership last year and this guy came in complaining about the fact that the handbrake had failed in his Volvo and the car had gone through a wall into his neighbors car. Volvo were not covering the damage to his car, the wall or the neighbors car. The guy starts having a go at the service manager stating that he was a solicitor and that he knew his rights etc etc etc.

The service manager then asks him did he read the manual that comes with the car, the guy answers no and the manager then reads him the section that covers parking which states that the car must be left in gear when parked.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Always in 1st, add handbrake if sloping.
    What I do anyway.

With the old SAAB that was never an issue as you cannot remove the key from the ignition without putting it in reverse first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im very seriously worried that the OP thought that because the handbrake wasnt working so well they wouldnt use it at all... Seriously, wtf?!! Surely even 25% holding power is better than not using it at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

biko wrote: »
    Always in 1st, add handbrake if sloping.
    What I do anyway.

another "add handbrake" WTF, you should always use the handbrake, thats what it's there for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Surely handbrake is the minimum everyone applies when they park?! I always park with handbrake + appropriate gear depending on whether there is no slope (1st or 2nd gear), uphill slope (1st or 2nd gear) or downhill slope (reverse).

Bit dismayed to learn of all these parked cars with no handbrake on, must start trying to roll a few parked cars!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 demonx

woody33 wrote: »
    Point your wheels so they will hit the curb if it rolls..
    Make sure that you nearly have the wheel touching the curb though when you do this because if you don't and all fails the car will have built up enough momentum to mount the curb - taking the right hand wing & light off the lovely shiny new 2010 mercedes parked right behind you ( whose handbrake actually works ) flying through the front door of an unsuspecting neighbours house, through the hall , narrowly missing the phone table ( phew ) straight out the back door and into the outdoor heated pool ! and all because of a darn handbrake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

I once left the handbrake off in my brothers car outside the pub.

It's not a nice feeling when the barman asked him why his car

was parked in the back doors of the pub. :eek:

• Advertisement

If you regularly have to park on a steep slope, there are always these yokes :D

wheelchocks.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

peasant wrote: »
    If you regularly have to park on a steep slope, there are always these yokes :D

My mother had an old Volvo once with a dicky handbrake, and she had to keep two concrete blocks in the boot for that very purpose!

Advertisement