Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GU10s all blown???

• 04-07-2010 6:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

Hi folks, I have 6 GU10s all blown in my kitchen. I've replaced them but they're still not working. Checked the fuse box and thats fine. They are on a double dimmer switch and the other light is working fine so its not the switch. What could it be??:confused: Waiting for my electrician to call for 2 wks now :cool:

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

i used to fit up to 4 on a standard dimmer to avoid issues

rarely fit 50 watts these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

seems like your dimmer switch is gone on one side.your six gu10s total 300 watts.ideally you should double the rating for your dimmer switch.turn power off if you are doing this work yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

meercat wrote: »
    seems like your dimmer switch is gone on one side.your six gu10s total 300 watts.ideally you should double the rating for your dimmer switch.turn power off if you are doing this work yourself.

We have 13 GU10s in our kitchen/dining area and had a similar problem last month. Ended up replacing the dimmer with a standard switch. Dimmer was rated for 1,000 watts but electrician (not one who did original work) said dimmers can cause problems.
    As for original electrician, often wonder why he didn't point out to us first-time builders that it was either 650 watts at a time or nothing...??!! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 bozley

Thanks folks for ur advice!! Changed the dimmer to an ordinary switch and they're all working perfectly!!:D

Advertisement