Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the one game you will never part with ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Mr Trade In

Tombi and Return Fire for PS1 and Faxanadu for NES, also a weird Asian Megadrive game Magical Hat,it was released in the west as Decap Attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Modern Warfare 2 is an odd choice. It's like saying you'd never part with Fifa 09.

It's from a genre that is constantly improving - you would have suggested the prequel a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Tombi and Return Fire for PS1 and Faxanadu for NES, also a weird Asian Megadrive game Magical Hat,it was released in the west as Decap Attack.

Have fond memories of Decap Attack, starring Chuck D. Head. :D

From the demo, Tombi seemed like it could be an excellent game. I regret never playing the full version.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Bonavox wrote: »
    It's because it has the best multiplayer any game has ever seen.
    Give me a break! Honestly, say you love the game all your want, but to claim it has the best multiplayer of any game ever is taking the piss.
    There's two reasons why people don't like MW2 in this thread:

• Because they're under the impression new games can't make it into these lists, and it must only be old classics. I remember a member on these forums get butchered before because he claimed Uncharted 2 was the best game of the decade. Truth being it is for some. It's downright amazing.
    • Because they don't want to go with the crowd and want to be different. MW2 is bought and played regularly by millions of people for a reason. Think about that.
      *Because we think its an over-hyped, over rated first person shooter that really doenst do anything that hasn't been done before.

Anyway, i'm done going off topic, i just needed to say that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,438 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Fnz wrote: »
    From the demo, Tombi seemed like it could be an excellent game. I regret never playing the full version.

Same here, it's supposedly amazing and worth a fortune now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I should rephrase. It's one of the best military shooter out there. And the truth being it's not because it's popular. It's because it has the best multiplayer any game has ever seen. There's two reasons why people don't like MW2 in this thread:

• Because they're under the impression new games can't make it into these lists, and it must only be old classics. I remember a member on these forums get butchered before because he claimed Uncharted 2 was the best game of the decade. Truth being it is for some. It's downright amazing.
    • Because they don't want to go with the crowd and want to be different. MW2 is bought and played regularly by millions of people for a reason. Think about that.
    In fairness, COD5 is going to be the best online game ever. Then COD6 will be. Then COD7, etc, etc. And in between it'll be various Medal of Honour games and Battlefield games. I can't see many people playing MW2 in a couple of years. I'm surprised the likes fo Call Of Duty: United Offensive isn't listed as it has a much more dedicated playerbase than MW2, and it's been going for about 6 years (an eternity in the gaming world). I'd have thought it would be more popular here.

Personally, as was said above, the continued evolution of FPS games would make it hard for me to choose only one. I'd have to choose something like XCOM or Ultima 7. Some of my fondest memories are of playing those games, which kind fo says something about the ****ty life I must have led. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Modern Warfare 2 came out 7 months ago. No-one can really claim it's a game they'll never part with in that short a time.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

I should rephrase. It's one of the best military ...

Eh no. ARMA / 2 is one of the best 'Military' shooters out there. Hell, BF2 & 2142 are far better 'military' shooters.

MW2 is a shoot 'em up that can be played online, full of hackers, no tactics and very arcady.

But, once again, thats my opinion.

Back OT

Games I couldn't part with:

C&C Tiberian Sun - loved every minute of it. But lost it a couple of years ago :( But its free now :D:D:D

Probably BF2 & 2142 also, provided online keeps going for them.

Orange Box will also always be kept.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

star ocean the second story is one anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

Kiith wrote: »
    Give me a break! Honestly, say you love the game all your want, but to claim it has the best multiplayer of any game ever is taking the piss.

• *Because we think its an over-hyped, over rated first person shooter that really doens't do anything that hasn't been done before.

Over-hyped is a strong word, considering it does happen to be a technical masterpiece. Over-rated ... possibly, but again, that's of opinion. And I see what you mean, unless a game completely reinvents videogames as we know them, it goes in the bargain bucket, right?

The fact all of the above are opinions makes me smile at your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Paradroid and Elite. Lost count of the number of times I've restarted Elite from scratch at "Lave" with 1000cr.

And Paradroid? No save/load. Just boot it and beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

• *Because we think its an over-hyped, over rated first person shooter that really doenst do anything that hasn't been done before.

Why do you say it doesn't have the best multiplayer of any game. I think most of the aspects are perfect TBH.

And fair enough you think this. All that Bonavox have said are also opinions. No need to keep arguing about it.

In fairness though and this is my opinion I think BV is right. Millions of people are not going to buy the game for no reason.

Over-hyped is a strong word, considering it does happen to be a technical masterpiece. Over-rated ... possibly, but again, that's of opinion. And I see what you mean, unless a game completely reinvents videogames as we know them, it goes in the bargain bucket, right?

Ah now, it's no technical masterpiece. It's got many flaws that players ignore because they're too busy enjoying the game. It does many things right, but many of these things are jsut imported form other games. As I said above, it'll all be forgotten when the next COD takes everything in MW2 and adds more (in particular dedicated servers).

humanji wrote: »
    Ah now, it's no technical masterpiece. It's got many flaws that players ignore because they're too busy enjoying the game. It does many things right, but many of these things are jsut imported form other games. As I said above, it'll all be forgotten when the next COD takes everything in MW2 and adds more (in particular dedicated servers).

To be completely honest, all Activision have now is Treyarch and a broken Infinity Ward. Considering most of the integral staff to the series have left Infinity Ward, I doubt we'll see a game as good as Modern Warfare 2 from them, hence the primary reason why I put it in there.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Technical masterpiece? You do seem to like your overstatements. I enjoyed the game, but to put the word masterpiece beside it is an insult to the word. I could probably count the number of masterpieces in gaming in the last few years on one hand, and Modern Warfare 2 isn't one of them.

And no, a game doesnt need to reinvent itself, or its genre, for it to be a great game. I said over-rated because i dont think it deserves the reviews that it got, or the acclaim. I'd say the same about Halo 3, Gta 4 and numerous other games. Doesnt mean i didnt enjoy them.

And i'm glad i made you smile :P

Bonavox wrote:
    To be completely honest, all Activision have now is Treyarch and a broken Infinity Ward. Considering most of the integral staff to the series have left Infinity Ward, I doubt we'll see a game as good as Modern Warfare 2 from them, hence the primary reason why I put it in there.

I'd say you could be wrong there. Now, to be honest, I wasn't a fan of MW2 as I prefer the Battlefield: Bad Company 2 multiplayer and I thought the singleplayer had a shockign story propped up with a few fancy set pieces. But the game was popular enough that Activision could quite easily tell Treyarch to follow in Infinity Ward's footsteps. I can well imagine that taken what's already there and slapping it in a slightly tweeked engine would keep most people happy, so anything else they add would be a bonus.

Although that's being optomistic. There's still plenty of time to much it up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Modern warfare 2 = Re-skinned Modern War fare 1= World at War = which will = the next stupid game. Slight modifications to the engine and some improved textures does not a new game make. So irregardless of how many core staff left, Activision will have a small team of coders and artists milking the franchise for all its worth for a long time. And the real funny thing is with the move towards 7-8 year hardware lifespans for consoles their is no real merit towards doing anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Anthony Walsh

Fallout 2 and Fallout 3 (unfortunatly I dont have fallout 1:() and my gta collection I have all the ones on proper consoles, none of that hand held crap.
    Oh and my commandos' collection and Freedom Fighters actually most of my pc games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Fallout 2 and Fallout 3 (unfortunatly I dont have fallout 1:() and my gta collection I have all the ones on proper consoles, none of that hand held crap.
    Oh and my commandos' collection and Freedom Fighters actually most of my pc games.

You could get fallout off steam or gog if you really wanted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/fallout

Enjoy :)

• Advertisement

Technical masterpiece? You do seem to like your overstatements. I enjoyed the game, but to put the word masterpiece beside it is an insult to the word. I could probably count the number of masterpieces in gaming in the last few years on one hand, and Modern Warfare 2 isn't one of them.

And no, a game doesnt need to reinvent itself, or its genre, for it to be a great game. I said over-rated because i dont think it deserves the reviews that it got, or the acclaim. I'd say the same about Halo 3, Gta 4 and numerous other games. Doesnt mean i didnt enjoy them.

And i'm glad i made you smile :P

Nope, I didn't make an overstatement. My statement basically reflected the superb graphics, superior sounds and the fact it's backed up with a brilliant engine and that they didn't say "Oh, I think we'll use the Unreal Engine again!" And that's just the technical side of things.

Call of Duty 4 was amazing, but this time last year, even though I was avidly playing it online, I wouldn't have included it on the list. It's not the formula that makes me add Modern Warfare 2 to the list, because that can lazily be improved upon. It's the fact this game was a one-off classic and I will not be moving from Modern Warfare 2, no matter how many Call of Duty games come out in the future.

Argue the "flavour of the month" card all you like, but that's not the reasoning behind it, mainly because it doesn't have to be.

Somebody made a very important statement in this thread:
    Modern Warfare 2 came out 7 months ago. No-one can really claim it's a game they'll never part with in that short a time.
    Why not? So over half a year worth of gaming isn't enough to decide if a game's worth of a place in your prestigious list? Come on, it may not have the innovation of, let's say Portal, but it's still has much more replay value than most games out there.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post.

Why not? So over half a year worth of gaming isn't enough to decide if a game's worth of a place in your prestigious list?

No, it's not. It's the latest graphical update in a long series of games. There's nothing particularly special about it. 6 months is not a long time. Do you really think you'll be taking out to play it in 10 years?

P.

oceanclub wrote: »
    No, it's not. It's the latest graphical update in a long series of games. There's nothing particularly special about it. 6 months is not a long time. Do you really think you'll be taking out to play it in 10 years?

P.

Yes, as it happens, I do. I thoroughly enjoyed the single player campaign and have played through it 3 times so far and have enjoyed it just as much since, and I plan on replaying it for quite a long time. The Spec Ops missions are amazing and there's amazing replay value in those as they're just raw fun. The multiplayer may die out, but that's only one element of three amazing elements.

And have I not already said that Modern Warfare 2 isn't the flavour of the month for me? I already made it clear I think it's a standout game that won't be repeated or improved upon. And yes, six months is a long enough timeframe to decide if I'll stop playing it.

And have I not already said that Modern Warfare 2 isn't the flavour of the month for me?

But how do you know as it's only been 6 months? There's a kind of circular logic here. I just don't think you can add a game to your "favourites ever" list in such a short time. But fair enough, if you think MW2 is the kind of game you'll be pulling out of a dusty box and installing trying to get running on Windows 11 in a decade's time...

P.

But how do you know as it's only been 6 months? There's a kind of circular logic here. I just don't think you can add a game to your "favourites ever" list in such a short time. But fair enough, if you think MW2 is the kind of game you'll be pulling out of a dusty box and installing trying to get running on Windows 11 in a decade's time...

P.

So how long is long enough to know you'll be playing it in ten years? There's no set length. If you like a game enough, you have solid facts to prove that you will like a game for the long-term future, why not include it? I tick all of those boxes with MW2, so you have no idea what you're talking about.

P.
    In fairness, I mentioned Ultima 7 as a game I'll never part with and I felt that way from the very first time I started playing it. Maybe it's just like being in love or being the "One", nobody can tell you you are, you just know. :D

The only reservation about FPS's that I would have is that they will, without exception, be improved upon. That's the nature of the genre. It's true of all genres, of course but FPS's are usually held to a more demanding level of expectation, I feel.

humanji wrote: »
    In fairness, I mentioned Ultima 7 as a game I'll never part with and I felt that way from the very first time I started playing it. Maybe it's just like being in love or being the "One", nobody can tell you you are, you just know. :D

The only reservation about FPS's that I would have is that they will, without exception, be improved upon. That's the nature of the genre. It's true of all genres, of course but FPS's are usually held to a more demanding level of expectation, I feel.

Finally, somebody understands what I'm trying to say. Thank you, Humanji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

For me anyway, MW2 just felt like COD4 with a few bells and whistles added on. It was a good game by all means but did'nt add anything significant from COD4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

Pong ;)

Advertisement