Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Razor recommendation for a 20 year old

• 04-07-2010 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭

I know, it's shocking, I've had the same razor since I first started shaving (philishave cool skin, quite an old model by now).

So now, I think it's about time I invest in a quality razor.

That's the problem, there are so many to choose from, so I'm in need of a little help.

All recommendations welcome :cool:

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Cant go wrong with a Mach 3 turbo - blades are expensive though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Forget the electrics and overpriced cartridges: get a Merkur Progress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

any double edged razor is pretty good, stay away from the mach 3 and fusion crap, they only destroy your face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Improbable

Indeed. Merkur Progress, a variety pack of blades, a nice shaving brush and some cream and you're set.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...and a watch of mantic59's youtube channel. I'm always wary of sending people straight into DE land without some guidance, there's a lot that can go wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...and a watch of mantic59's youtube channel. I'm always wary of sending people straight into DE land without some guidance, there's a lot that can go wrong.

Agreed, I'd highly recommend watching his videos before spending any money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

Get a Muhle R89, would never turn back to old shaving.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

http://buy.wilkinson-sword.co.uk/detail-WSMENR001H.html

Hands down the best razor i have ever had

http://buy.wilkinson-sword.co.uk/detail-WSMENR001H.html

Hands down the best razor i have ever had

I bought that when I wanted to see what DE shaving was like and its certainly not the worst shave I've ever had but I can't really compare it to the Merkur Progress that I have now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Michael G

Jay1989 wrote: »
    I think it's about time I invest in a quality razor.
    You are lucky to be able to make the choice at the age of 20. From the time I was 20 (more than 30 years ago) I was fooled by the advertisers into using whatever latest multi-blade plastic toy they were selling. All the time, in a box in my garage, I had my late father's Gillette razor which he used when we were on holidays. Last year I put it together with a Wilkinson Sword blade, some shaving soap (try the basic Palmolive from Tesco) and a brush (again Tesco or Boot's, but later you might regret not buying a better brush), and had the best shave - the smoothest but gentlest ever. The combination has never let me down since. I urge you to start shaving with a proper DE razor. The next step is a straight razor which (from my experience with it so far) gets even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

for quality and price i like the king of shaves AZOR-M. it is different from the 'normal' razor but after one or two uses you will be hooked, i was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

At 20 you are lucky to find the secret to the best shave. A good quality, double edge safety razor and shaving brush is definitely the best option. However, I wouldn't recommend the Wilkinson Sword Classic Razor. It's cheaply made and gives a bad name to safety razors. I have a merkur futur and it's excellent.

The amount of money I used to spend on cartridge razors like the fusion is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

What would everyone recommend for shaving creams. I had my first clean wet shave today in roughly 2 and a half years and realised why I stopped clean shaving. I think I will be getting a de razor so any tips on extras to get with it i.e. creams oils etc

Thanks

plonk wrote: »
    What would everyone recommend for shaving creams. I had my first clean wet shave today in roughly 2 and a half years and realised why I stopped clean shaving. I think I will be getting a de razor so any tips on extras to get with it i.e. creams oils etc

Thanks

I use the Liz Earle shaving cream. Get a decent badger hair brush as well and I'd recommend a nice non-alcohol based aftershave. Make sure you watch mantic59's videos on youtube. They're an excellent guide for anyone getting into DE shaving.

Just watched them there, its phenomenal what gillette and the other big players have convinced the mass market about shaving. Thinking about getting the mekur progress and a brush some cream and some blades. So any guidance or tips would be helpful.

Edit: Has anyone used the long handle as opposed to the short handle, I know its all preference but I think I'm steering torwards the long one.

Just watched them there, its phenomenal what gillette and the other big players have convinced the mass market about shaving. Thinking about getting the mekur progress and a brush some cream and some blades. So any guidance or tips would be helpful.

Merkur Progress is a very good place to start. Because the blades themselves are very cheap, I would get a variety pack or separate packs of different blades if you cannot find a variety pack. Then just try them out and see what works. Most important thing is to take it slow and don't rush. Be gentle with your face and maintain your technique.

So would you go for the progress or the futur, reading reviews on the net has not really helped much

I've used both before and didn't feel any noticeable difference in the quality of the shave. I do like the look of the futur more though.

So would you go for the progress or the futur, reading reviews on the net has not really helped much

I'd avoid the Futur starting out, it has a large head and can be quiet tricky to use until you hone your technique. The Progress is easier to use and more forgiving whilst learning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭vampire of kilmainham

Jay1989 wrote: »
    I know, it's shocking, I've had the same razor since I first started shaving (philishave cool skin, quite an old model by now).

So now, I think it's about time I invest in a quality razor.

That's the problem, there are so many to choose from, so I'm in need of a little help.

All recommendations welcome :cool:

Thanks!
    Rough towl:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

I'd avoid the Futur starting out, it has a large head and can be quiet tricky to use until you hone your technique. The Progress is easier to use and more forgiving whilst learning.

I started with a futur, what i found is that I really needed to concentrate on technique for the first few weeks. I find that, if anything this helped my technique.

It is a great razor, and as Improbable pointed out, it looks pretty funky too.

foinse wrote: »
    I started with a futur, what i found is that I really needed to concentrate on technique for the first few weeks. I find that, if anything this helped my technique.

It is a great razor, and as Improbable pointed out, it looks pretty funky too.

I also started with a Futur and purchased a Progress after a month. The Progress is less aggressive and more forgiving, hence why I stand over it as ideal when starting out.
    After trying numerous razors I know I like aggressive razors. I still like my Futur and still use it a couple of times a week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Rough towl:D:D:D

You really shouldn't make fun of him like that. It was funny though, I admit. I'm still laughing as I type this. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I started shaving with a Mach3, then moved onto a Boots DE razor, very light though, might be good just to sample double edge shaving.

My current razor is a Chrome Merkur Futur which I think is class.

I have quite sensitive skin and find the DE razors to be far more gentle than the Mach3s and the like. Blades are dirt cheap, got a 100 pack of Derby Extras for a tenner or something ridiculous like that.

Overall, thumbs up to DE razors!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,784 ✭✭✭Raoul

Hey,

Read a lot here, and it is good stuff. Also looked at the videos on youtube.

What I want to know is when people here say sensitive skin, what exactly do you mean? When I shave with a gilette fusion razor, only twice in the past year have I clean shaven just trim with electric razor normally, I usually get spots in the next few days.

So I was hoping somebody could advise me and tell me exactly what products would be best for me starting DE shaving.

Would really appreciate it. Done a good bit of research but nothing better than being told by people here who I know are experienced and will give me a better insight.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

Does any one know any shop that sell these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

^^^

www.shaving.ie has everything you need

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭tony231974

MadsL wrote: »
    ^^^

www.shaving.ie has everything you need

Thanks for your reply.I've heard of these guys but is there a shop
    where I can go to and see and buy ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The only places I know of are in Dublin City Centre. There is Knight Barbers in Stephens Green Shopping Centre. They have the stuff on their website shop so I would guess they would also have it in store.

There is also Peterson of Dublin on Grafton Street. The last time I was in there they had some shave brushes and shave creams. I can't remember if they have safety razors though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The Grooming Rooms of South William Street has a limited range. Be prepared to pay mightly.

http://www.thegroomingrooms.com/retail.php?p=5

Also the Irish Barber in that lane full of jewellers that cuts through to Grafton Street....

Advertisement