Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Tyres needed...confused!

• 04-07-2010 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

Have a done a search but couldn't find an answer to help! I currently have CST Ultra speeds 700 x 23 cc on my road bike but have had a couple of punctures. Can anyone recommend which tyre is best to avoid punctures. I have heard that Blizzard Schwalbe are good but details such as 'wire' or 'folding' are one option too many...!

Any advice appreciated....:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭DualFrontDiscs

Bobbins wrote: »
    Hi all,

Have a done a search but couldn't find an answer to help! I currently have CST Ultra speeds 700 x 23 cc on my road bike but have had a couple of punctures. Can anyone recommend which tyre is best to avoid punctures. I have heard that Blizzard Schwalbe are good but details such as 'wire' or 'folding' are one option too many...!

Any advice appreciated....:)

'Wire' means there's a wire 'hoop' in the tyre, meaning it won't fold.
    'Folding' means there's no wire 'hoop' and will therefore fold.

Folding is useful if you're planning on bringing a spare tire on a trip. It's possibly lighter too.

There may be other differences.

DFD.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Thanks for that DFD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Plastik

Such timing for this question to be asked.

I've done 1,500km on my rear tyre (first, came on the Specialized I bought) puncture free, but I've now spliced a sidewall by running a little soft. After doing a bit of reading on here I'm tossing up between Gatorskins & GP4000S's, and my remaining question is the difference between folding & wire.

Gatorskins are available in both but the GP's are folding only. Any opinions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Doc_Savage

very little real world difference in wire and folding. folding have a kevlar thread in them to hold their shape but are not as rigid as the steel wire ones. easier to transport a folding tyre..

as for puncture resistance, schwalbe durano's are great! but if you wanna stick to 23c then you have to pay a lot to get good puncture resistance. i'll recommend vittorio randonneurs, cheap and bulletproof, can't get them in smaller than 25 though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,460 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

folders are lighter

i've cut through the sidewalls of 2 schwalbe durano's in the last 2 weeks (expensive 2 weeks ) i'm back to my cheap luganos for the moment cant afford any more expensive ones

• Advertisement

Doc_Savage wrote: »
    very little real world difference in wire and folding. folding have a kevlar thread in them to hold their shape but are not as rigid as the steel wire ones. easier to transport a folding tyre..

as for puncture resistance, schwalbe durano's are great! but if you wanna stick to 23c then you have to pay a lot to get good puncture resistance. i'll recommend vittorio randonneurs, cheap and bulletproof, can't get them in smaller than 25 though!

Thanks Doc, I assumed that I had to stay @ 23c (don't actually know what it is mind you!), can I change this if I wish? Puncture resistance is my main concern, I don't have any plans on breaking any speed records.....nor am I planning to transport tyres if they're not on the bike so folding or wire doesn't sound like it makes a difference....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

I'd recommend the conti gatorskins, can't fault them at all, great puncture resistance. (guaranteed to puncture tonight after this :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I use GP4000S tyres on my Defy, I am a big lad, and occasionally forget that I am not on a mountain bike (bunny hoping potholes etc.), the GPs are grand, no pinch flat, good grip and fast rolling - they have been doing the job very nicely for the last year!

And yes I do realise how silly it is to post statements like that before I cycle home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Schwalbe marathon pro - kevlar = no punctures. Ride through broken glass laughing like a maniac. Best money spent on daily use bike ever.

Thanks for all the suggestions.....looking forward to puncture free cycles from now on! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement